Is it a pain to travel to callbacks...... Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
corporatelaw87

Bronze

Is it a pain to travel to callbacks......

Post by corporatelaw87 » Sun Oct 10, 2010 2:07 am

If your school is not in the market you want to work? For example lets say you go to Gtown, Virginia or Duke, but you want to work in NY. Lets say for what ever reason you have 5 callbacks spanned over two weeks (perhaps some firms got back to you late and those were the only times you could schedule them). Isn't it a pain to fly, or drive back on those separate occasions. I know most people try to schedule their callbacks very close to each other, but even you have 5 over 3 days, then you would have to miss school anyway because you're not going to travel back and forth. I acknowledge i am a 1L, I am just curious of peoples opinions who went through something like this.

applecore

New

Re: Is it a pain to travel to callbacks......

Post by applecore » Sun Oct 10, 2010 2:15 am

Why are you even thinking about this? Go do your Contracts reading. :lol:

Renzo

Gold

Post by Renzo » Sun Oct 10, 2010 2:16 am

corporatelaw87 wrote:If your school is not in the market you want to work? For example lets say you go to Gtown, Virginia or Duke, but you want to work in NY. Lets say for what ever reason you have 5 callbacks spanned over two weeks (perhaps some firms got back to you late and those were the only times you could schedule them). Isn't it a pain to fly, or drive back on those separate occasions. I know most people try to schedule their callbacks very close to each other, but even you have 5 over 3 days, then you would have to miss school anyway because you're not going to travel back and forth. I acknowledge i am a 1L, I am just curious of peoples opinions who went through something like this.
Worrying about traveling to hypothetical callbacks instead of worrying about your 1L grades is the surest way to make sure this question won't apply to you.

corporatelaw87

Bronze

Post by corporatelaw87 » Sun Oct 10, 2010 2:26 am

Renzo wrote:
corporatelaw87 wrote:If your school is not in the market you want to work? For example lets say you go to Gtown, Virginia or Duke, but you want to work in NY. Lets say for what ever reason you have 5 callbacks spanned over two weeks (perhaps some firms got back to you late and those were the only times you could schedule them). Isn't it a pain to fly, or drive back on those separate occasions. I know most people try to schedule their callbacks very close to each other, but even you have 5 over 3 days, then you would have to miss school anyway because you're not going to travel back and forth. I acknowledge i am a 1L, I am just curious of peoples opinions who went through something like this.
Worrying about traveling to hypothetical callbacks instead of worrying about your 1L grades is the surest way to make sure this question won't apply to you.
Can't fault me for being curious

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Oct 10, 2010 2:35 am

Yes, we can. And even if it is tough (which believe me, it is), you tough it up and do it. You think anyone's gonna have any sympathy for you for getting a free trip to stay in a nice hotel, have a lazy couple of interviews, and then go to a fine restaurant for lunch?

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Bosque

Gold

Post by Bosque » Sun Oct 10, 2010 2:36 am

corporatelaw87 wrote:
Renzo wrote:
Can't fault me for being curious
No, but your professor can. Back to work, 1L! *Whip crack*

Rotor

Silver

Post by Rotor » Sun Oct 10, 2010 2:43 am

Not as big a pain as getting zero callbacks because you focused exclusively on local firms for callback convenience. Diversify FTW.

pasteurizedmilk

Bronze

Post by pasteurizedmilk » Sun Oct 10, 2010 2:48 am

I missed 8 classes or so (for each course) for callbacks. Rough to catch up? Yeah. But no complaints. Hell of a lot better than the alternative.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Oct 10, 2010 3:08 am

If you're so worried, transfer to CN :roll:

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

wiseowl

Silver

Post by wiseowl » Sun Oct 10, 2010 9:48 am

After awhile it maybe was a little annoying (I used to love to fly, I'm now cured of that) but most schools give you designated days off to travel.

One note - I assumed I could do CBs on Fridays when I don't have class; this only worked out once. Tuesdays seemed to be the money day.

Big Shrimpin

Gold

Post by Big Shrimpin » Sun Oct 10, 2010 11:18 am

Traveling is fun, since its pretty much all expenses (w/in nalp guidelines) paid. Only thing that sucks, as one poster pointed out, is missing class. In total, I missed almost two weeks of class going on cbs, and my school gave us no time off to travel. :roll:

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Oct 10, 2010 1:46 pm

Traveling itself is okay, but I missed a ton of class and am super behind in my coursework. (This is partly because all of the Mondays/Fridays were already booked at firms.) My callbacks were somewhat spread out, and I missed around 2.5 weeks of class. My school does not have a "fly back" week either (I go to a MVP). Once the hectic over-month-long process is over and you have accepted an offer somewhere, it's kind of like the calm after the storm, although now I'm worried about catching up in class.

Big Shrimpin

Gold

Post by Big Shrimpin » Sun Oct 10, 2010 2:13 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Traveling itself is okay, but I missed a ton of class and am super behind in my coursework. (This is partly because all of the Mondays/Fridays were already booked at firms.) My callbacks were somewhat spread out, and I missed around 2.5 weeks of class. My school does not have a "fly back" week either (I go to a MVP). Once the hectic over-month-long process is over and you have accepted an offer somewhere, it's kind of like the calm after the storm, although now I'm worried about catching up in class.

TCR. It was a blessing to have CBs, though I fear for my grades this semester. :shock:

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

dood

Gold

Post by dood » Sun Oct 10, 2010 2:16 pm

Last edited by dood on Sun Oct 24, 2010 4:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Silver

Post by 12262010 » Sun Oct 10, 2010 2:19 pm

lolololol

Bosque

Gold

Post by Bosque » Sun Oct 10, 2010 2:48 pm

booyakasha wrote:lolololol
http://trololololololololololo.com/

Silver

Post by 12262010 » Sun Oct 10, 2010 8:50 pm

Bosque wrote:
booyakasha wrote:lolololol
http://trololololololololololo.com/
:lol: tyft.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Oct 10, 2010 9:11 pm

I hated hated HATED OCI season. Least pleasant experience of the last decade of my life. Always always flying in or out of somewhere, always having to be fake and ON and the constant constant lying.

Bosque

Gold

Post by Bosque » Sun Oct 10, 2010 9:29 pm

Anonymous User wrote:I hated hated HATED OCI season. Least pleasant experience of the last decade of my life. Always always flying in or out of somewhere, always having to be fake and ON and the constant constant lying.
LYING! Of course, I KNEW I was forgetting to do something. Darn me and my ingrained honesty.

RVP11

Gold

Post by RVP11 » Mon Oct 11, 2010 12:03 am

Anonymous User wrote:I hated hated HATED OCI season. Least pleasant experience of the last decade of my life. Always always flying in or out of somewhere, always having to be fake and ON and the constant constant lying.
Yeah you had it rough, bro. OMG sooooooooo many callbacks - life just sucks so much, huh?

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”