What work experience would help most for OCI interviews

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Veyron

Re: What work experience would help most for OCI interviews

Postby Veyron » Mon Oct 11, 2010 5:43 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Great soft factors that you could put on a resume helped me - i.e: non-traditional work experience, ironman race finisher, starting my own company. I would guess that military experience would also be a huge asset.

Oh, didn't know we were talking about military experience here FRIEND. That llittle chestnut will net you priority for ALL federal government legal jobs and give you a huge leg up for JAG. Also, private employers usually love to have vets around.

Postby 005618502 » Mon Oct 11, 2010 5:50 pm

Veyron wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Great soft factors that you could put on a resume helped me - i.e: non-traditional work experience, ironman race finisher, starting my own company. I would guess that military experience would also be a huge asset.

Oh, didn't know we were talking about military experience here FRIEND. That llittle chestnut will net you priority for ALL federal government legal jobs and give you a huge leg up for JAG. Also, private employers usually love to have vets around.

Really? weird because i dont see military experience as a huge asset (not trying to insult, my best friend joined the marines, but his experience has not been that fufilling. He also joined it because he didnt know what to do with his life and was on the wrong track. Military will take just about anyone). Is it just good because you have gov work exp?

Veyron

Postby Veyron » Mon Oct 11, 2010 5:56 pm

jt1341 wrote:
Veyron wrote:

Really? weird because i dont see military experience as a huge asset (not trying to insult, my best friend joined the marines, but his experience has not been that fufilling. He also joined it because he didnt know what to do with his life and was on the wrong track. Military will take just about anyone). Is it just good because you have gov work exp?

Its good (besides being a brave and noble thing to do for your country) because the federal government actually has a formal priority track for vets. Also, firms treat vets sort of like minorities. By law, they have to be shown to be non-discriminatory towards them and so, in practice, they like to fill slots with qualified vets. Also, many military skills transfer over to the large firm environment - duties of fidelity towards clients and the firm, ability to give and take direction, experience working long hours in unpleasant conditions, problem solving (expectantly in re. to officers).

Also, consider that the types of vets likely to be competitive for these sorts of jobs are likely to have demonstrated academic ability in terms of scores, school, grades, not all would qualify obviously. However, I went to one of the best UGs in the country and the people there who were doing ROTC were the crem de la crem - even among my obscenely talented peer group. Keep in mind that the armed forces are a large organization and people of widely varying academic capability can be found in them.

Return to “Legal Employment”