Making a Decision

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.

Prestige or Promised Job?

A law firm that is the largest in the secondary market where I want to work (is off and on v100, and also of the 2 most well respected
52%
A law firm that is of the 8 largest in the secondary market (150 attorneys) and gives you a promise of a job full-time upon signing a contract with them at the start of your summer.
48%

Total votes: 23

Lawguru

Making a Decision

Postby Lawguru » Sat Oct 09, 2010 3:07 pm

Alright, so I have the choice between two firms.

The more prestigious firm is, off and on, a vault 100 firm, very well-respected in the region, and also the largest in the state in which I want to work.

The other firm is a great firm, but their summer program hires the SAs for a particular practice area, and then you are promised full-time employment upon graduation.

Both firms are well-respected, but the former is much more so and represent very top clients. At the same time, there is something to be said about job security in this economy.

Opinions welcome.

I might also add,that I do not take the ability to choose for granted. I am very thankful I have choices in the first place, and I feel very blessed.

Bosque

Re: Making a Decision

Postby Bosque » Sat Oct 09, 2010 3:19 pm

First off, fix the poll. The descriptions of the choices are too long, so it is screwing with the formating. Besides, you already describe them in the post, no need to do it twice.

Second, we need more information. Do you know what area of law you want to work in? How do the firm's practice groups for that area stack up? Are they in the same city? Is there a difference in compensation/hours? Which did you like better when you visited?

These are just a few of the questions whose answers will help us to help you.

Pablo Ramirez

Postby Pablo Ramirez » Sat Oct 09, 2010 3:21 pm

Bosque wrote:First off, fix the poll. The descriptions of the choices are too long, so it is screwing with the formating.

The poll results are phallic

Lawguru

Postby Lawguru » Sat Oct 09, 2010 5:35 pm

Both in same city, compensation is identical, and I know I want to do litigation, which is what the smaller firm hired me to do.

FlightoftheEarls

Postby FlightoftheEarls » Sun Oct 10, 2010 11:18 am

Lawguru wrote:Alright, so I have the choice between two firms.

The more prestigious firm is, off and on, a vault 100 firm, very well-respected in the region, and also the largest in the state in which I want to work.

The other firm is a great firm, but their summer program hires the SAs for a particular practice area, and then you are promised full-time employment upon graduation.

Both firms are well-respected, but the former is much more so and represent very top clients. At the same time, there is something to be said about job security in this economy.

Opinions welcome.

I might also add,that I do not take the ability to choose for granted. I am very thankful I have choices in the first place, and I feel very blessed.

The smaller firm is probably just smart and recognizes that employment is still considered at-will, even if they promise to give you a full-time offer after your SA. Giving you an offer doesn't mean anything if they can easily revoke it. Does the larger firm have a particularly awful SA offer rate?

Kohinoor

Postby Kohinoor » Sun Oct 10, 2010 1:01 pm

Opinions welcome.

100% depends on the offer rate at Firm 1.

Lawguru

Postby Lawguru » Sun Oct 10, 2010 1:18 pm

FlightoftheEarls wrote:

Opinions welcome.

The smaller firm is probably just smart and recognizes that employment is still considered at-will, even if they promise to give you a full-time offer after your SA. Giving you an offer doesn't mean anything if they can easily revoke it. Does the larger firm have a particularly awful SA offer rate?

Larger firm does NOT have a bad offer rate. Last year they hired 15 out of 19. This year their class is substantially smaller for 2Ls-- around 9. According to them, there is more than enough room for each SA at the firm, but the offer is yours to lose.

I suppose also though that there IS something to be said about being a big[ger] fish in a small pond isn't there though? You make a great point about at-will. Though, that being said even during the worst of times, last year they had 13 SAs and hired all 13. They suspended their start date, but paid each a 70k stipend for the 6 months they weren't working but should have. Thye did this with half and hired half right away. So, they seem pretty darn committed to it.

Return to “Legal Employment”