Post Callback Purgatory Thread Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Post Callback Purgatory Thread

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Oct 08, 2010 4:07 pm

Anyone find themselves in a similar situation to me? Have multiple callbacks with absolutely no indication either way, its been way too long >2 weeks if they were just planning to ding me. Commiseration welcome, or if anyone at a firm understands how this process works I'd greatly appreciate it.

Anonymous User

Re: Post Callback Purgatory Thread

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Oct 08, 2010 4:11 pm

You are probably on hold or the firm has not sent out any rejections yet. I had an impending offer deadline and informed a firm who had not contacted me for 2 weeks. This firm told me I was "on hold" and that they would push my decision deadline up. I received a rejection call later that week.

If you do not have deadlines, you have a better chance of landing an offer with "hold" firm if you wait for their first choice candidates to reject the offers. If you have other offers, your decision to stay on the waitlist depends on how much you like this firm and whether you would feel comfortable working for a firm that put you on "hold," the latter which I personally had an issue with.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Oct 08, 2010 4:18 pm

Thanks for your advice, no offers, but good to know waiting and not pressing them is helping my chances.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Oct 08, 2010 4:21 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Anyone find themselves in a similar situation to me? Have multiple callbacks with absolutely no indication either way, its been way too long >2 weeks if they were just planning to ding me. Commiseration welcome, or if anyone at a firm understands how this process works I'd greatly appreciate it.
I'm in a similar situation, though both my callbacks are just under 2 weeks past (will be two weeks on Monday and Tuesday). They're both mid-sized firms that told me decisions would be out in about 3 weeks, so I'm hoping the delay doesn't mean much. Nothing we can do but wait (and keep mailing other firms).

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Oct 08, 2010 4:23 pm

I absolutely feel you, OP. I have several callbacks, 1 ding, and silence for the rest.

I have tried mass mailing. I have prepared for the interviews. I am not a social inept. Heck, I don't even necessarily need the 160K job in NYC. But after spending so much time and effort and energy, I just hope that SOMETHING would materialize. SOMETHING.

This whole process is a somewhat random blackbox. It is killing me.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Oct 08, 2010 4:31 pm

Yeah I'm in this same situation. 2 call backs outstanding that will have been 3 weeks ago come next Monday and Tuesday, and another one that was 4-5 weeks ago.

I mean I guess that the hold list is better than being outright dinged, but are people really sitting on multiple offers ITE? Especially since these firms aren't exactly Cravath or places that are hiring the very top candidates.

I don't have much hope and I'm really getting tired of waiting around for a phone call that probably won't ever come...

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Oct 08, 2010 4:46 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Yeah I'm in this same situation. 2 call backs outstanding that will have been 3 weeks ago come next Monday and Tuesday, and another one that was 4-5 weeks ago.

I mean I guess that the hold list is better than being outright dinged, but are people really sitting on multiple offers ITE? Especially since these firms aren't exactly Cravath or places that are hiring the very top candidates.

I don't have much hope and I'm really getting tired of waiting around for a phone call that probably won't ever come...
Yep, there are people with multiple offers who won't withdraw until many weeks later. Don't call or email, just let them work through the list. Like the poster above, I emailed and received a rejection email later that day.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Oct 08, 2010 5:22 pm

I think even the lower ranked firms still push hard to get the superstars out of the class, here's to hoping that we all get something from the bargain bin!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Oct 08, 2010 5:27 pm

Same situation. 4 callbacks complete, 1 ding, 2 callbacks to go, no offers. Checking the mailbox everyday is terrifying. I'm glad I'm not alone in this. My gut tells me a lot of firms acceptance rates skyrocketed last summer so they are being more conservative in offers.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Oct 08, 2010 5:45 pm

OP Here, also the 28 day deadline IMO is making it slower. This is promoting firms to take even less risk because they know they risk losing less candidates because they can shell out offers sooner. Anyway, lets keep all our fingers crossed for each other, we are still all in this!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Oct 08, 2010 7:22 pm

I get why you wouldn't want to press the firm for a decision or status at this point. Might it be worth it however to send them an e-mail just letting them know that you're still interested?

Something like - blah blah blah I know this is an extended process, but I just wanted to let you know I'm still really interested in your firm because....

Or is that inviting yourself to get dinged?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Oct 08, 2010 8:02 pm

Anonymous User wrote:I get why you wouldn't want to press the firm for a decision or status at this point. Might it be worth it however to send them an e-mail just letting them know that you're still interested?

Something like - blah blah blah I know this is an extended process, but I just wanted to let you know I'm still really interested in your firm because....

Most firms have expressly told me that its okay to email after a couple weeks to check on your status. Doesn't mean they won't reject you shortly afterward, but so long as you don't do it in a way that implies that you need a decision immediately, I doubt they would.

Whateverdude

New

Post by Whateverdude » Sat Oct 09, 2010 7:39 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:I get why you wouldn't want to press the firm for a decision or status at this point. Might it be worth it however to send them an e-mail just letting them know that you're still interested?

Most firms have expressly told me that its okay to email after a couple weeks to check on your status. Doesn't mean they won't reject you shortly afterward, but so long as you don't do it in a way that implies that you need a decision immediately, I doubt they would.
I did this and got an offer the next day. Might have been a coincidence, I don't know... I just sent a brief email inquiring about the status of my pending candidacy and communicating that I was still interested in the firm (didn't go into specifics).

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sat Oct 09, 2010 9:05 am

This is where I find myself after callbacks just a couple weeks ago.

Hey, Vergil. What's up.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sat Oct 09, 2010 9:14 am

Have faith guys; I got an offer about 3 weeks after CB, so it is possible.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sat Oct 09, 2010 9:27 am

Whateverdude wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

I did this and got an offer the next day. Might have been a coincidence, I don't know... I just sent a brief email inquiring about the status of my pending candidacy and communicating that I was still interested in the firm (didn't go into specifics).
Yeah, its hard to imagine checking your status (assuming you do so intelligibly) would earn you a ding. I mean, if they already planned to ding you and just hadn't gotten around to it, it could expedite the process. But, assuming you don't push a deadline on them, they aren't going to suddenly decide to ding you because you reaffirmed your interest and checked your status. That really doesn't make sense.

Or at the very least, I hope that's true, as I'll be checking my status on two callbacks next week (assuming I don't hear anything by Tuesday).

That being said, I suspect an email such as "Hey Recruiting Chick! What up dawg? Keepin it realz? I wuz just checkin whether ya'll decided to give me da $$$ yet. Hit me up ho!" might be bad. THAT might get you rejected.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sat Oct 09, 2010 2:06 pm

One of the posters who was dinged after pushing for a deadline here - I think it should be fine if you email expressing an interest, as long as you don't push a deadline. (I got dinged after I pretty much told the firm that I needed a decision immediately.)

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sat Oct 09, 2010 4:12 pm

I go to my mailbox in the afternoons and before I open it I say... "No whammies no whammies big money no whammies!"

...people must think I'm crazy.

YCrevolution

Gold

Post by YCrevolution » Sat Oct 09, 2010 11:15 pm

LjakW

Bronze

Post by LjakW » Sun Oct 10, 2010 9:40 am

YCrevolution wrote:I've always wondered if postmen think rejection letters means that the recepient is lots of in legal trouble, particularly if the student goes to school in a large city.
Interesting thought.

Whateverdude

New

Post by Whateverdude » Sun Oct 10, 2010 10:33 am

LjakW wrote:
YCrevolution wrote:I've always wondered if postmen think rejection letters means that the recepient is lots of in legal trouble, particularly if the student goes to school in a large city.
Interesting thought.
I doubt that postmen in metropolitan areas really notice what theyre delivering.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Oct 13, 2010 11:22 am

anyone in this thread get any good news? I still have a few outstanding cb's and no offers. Going on 2 weeks now. Every walk to the mailbox is like a death march.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Oct 13, 2010 11:45 am

Same. No offer yet, and still waiting to hear after 2 callbacks, including one at my top choice....from 4 weeks ago. The mailbox is a scary place.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Oct 13, 2010 11:49 am

Anonymous User wrote:anyone in this thread get any good news? I still have a few outstanding cb's and no offers. Going on 2 weeks now. Every walk to the mailbox is like a death march.
No good news. One ding, so I'm down to just one outstanding callback.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Oct 13, 2010 11:56 am

I have done 7 callbacks, 3 of which were over a month ago and I haven't heard anything from any of them. I think I take the cake for being in "callback purgatory"!

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”