General vs. specific prestige/rankings for firms

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.

V30 or V80 that is top-notch in your practice group?

V30
20%
V80 with highly ranked practice group
80%

Total votes: 25

Anonymous User

General vs. specific prestige/rankings for firms

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Oct 07, 2010 11:06 pm

If you had a demonstrated interest in a particular practice field that you were 95% certain that you wish to practice in the firm that you join, would you rather go to the more prestigious firm (V30) that is generally well regarded, but not particularly known for the practice group you're interested in (although they do at least have that practice group) or the less prestigious firm (V80) that is top tier for the practice group you're interested in?

Assume all other factors are the same. Same market, same salary, blah blah blah.

Anonymous User

Re: General vs. specific prestige/rankings for firms

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Oct 07, 2010 11:11 pm

I was in this situation (except diff markets), but same exact vault rankings. I ended up going w the V80 and I am really happy w my choice. The V80 was very strong in the area I want, plus it felt like such a great fit. I just couldn't imagine spending so many hours not practicing in the area that I want, or not being able to work on the real high end work in that practice area. This is just anecdotal, but just wanted to say that there are people who do this.

Pablo Ramirez

Postby Pablo Ramirez » Fri Oct 08, 2010 2:42 am

V80? Is that some sort of motor oil?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Oct 08, 2010 2:43 am

By way of example: Irell's not a V25, there isn't a single V25 that beats Irell for IP lit. You'd be advised by many to take Irell in a heartbeat over any of the NY Vault prestige firms, if you want to be a patent litigator.

Not sure what specialty you're referring to where the V80 trumps all the other firms, but I'd say go for it if that's what you want to do.

The advise here is the opposite of when someone asks, should I go to the highest ranked environmental law school, and the answer is invariably - no, go to the highest ranked school you get into.

In law firms, the opposite is true, go where your practice area of interest is the engine for the firm's growth, where they have a ton of clients for your type of practice, etc. etc.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Oct 08, 2010 5:15 am

this is a tough call...but I'd go with the v80.

fwiw, I turned down a v15 for a v50 for similar reasons - came down to being able to really do what I wanted to do with the law. it was hard to turn the stability, prestige, and higher profile clients of the v15, but I think I made the right choice.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Oct 08, 2010 6:53 am

Anonymous User wrote:By way of example: Irell's not a V25, there isn't a single V25 that beats Irell for IP lit. You'd be advised by many to take Irell in a heartbeat over any of the NY Vault prestige firms, if you want to be a patent litigator.

Not sure what specialty you're referring to where the V80 trumps all the other firms, but I'd say go for it if that's what you want to do.

The advise here is the opposite of when someone asks, should I go to the highest ranked environmental law school, and the answer is invariably - no, go to the highest ranked school you get into.

In law firms, the opposite is true, go where your practice area of interest is the engine for the firm's growth, where they have a ton of clients for your type of practice, etc. etc.

You're using an extreme and somewhat misleading example, though. I don't think any V80 firm dominates any practice area the way Irell does with patent lit.

And perhaps more importantly, there might be concerns about job security. It's not an issue in your example, but if the V80 in question here has shown signs of serious financial difficulty whereas the V30 has not, it should be something OP thinks long and hard about.

reasonable_man

Postby reasonable_man » Fri Oct 08, 2010 8:21 am

If a firm needs to cut to save its PPP... then it will cut... no matter what its V-ranking. I'm pretty sure Latham ranks pretty well on the old V-chart and it didn't stop them from showing 200 young (disposable), attorneys the door now did it?

Prestige whoring is great and all, but picking a law firm you like counts for something as well.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Oct 08, 2010 6:02 pm

OP here. I figure I might as well be more specific.

The two firms in question are Hunton & Williams (the V80) and Paul Hastings (and I guess they're actually V40, but whatever). DC offices for both. Hunton & Williams is a "Band 1" firm for environmental law work according to Chambers. The DC office of Paul Hastings has an environmental practice, but it is pretty small, whereas environmental and energy work are HUGE aspects of Hunton & Williams' practice in DC.

I really want to do environmental and energy work. Any further thoughts?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Oct 08, 2010 8:54 pm

Anonymous User wrote:OP here. I figure I might as well be more specific.

The two firms in question are Hunton & Williams (the V80) and Paul Hastings (and I guess they're actually V40, but whatever). DC offices for both. Hunton & Williams is a "Band 1" firm for environmental law work according to Chambers. The DC office of Paul Hastings has an environmental practice, but it is pretty small, whereas environmental and energy work are HUGE aspects of Hunton & Williams' practice in DC.

Go hunton and don't look back. Do the work you want to do. Paul Hastings is not so great that you'd be stupid to pass it up anyways.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Oct 08, 2010 11:18 pm

Anonymous User wrote:OP here. I figure I might as well be more specific.

I'd argue that Hunton is just as strong as Paul Hastings if not stronger.

Pablo Ramirez

Postby Pablo Ramirez » Sat Oct 09, 2010 5:08 pm

Go to Hunton.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Oct 09, 2010 6:40 pm

OP here. Thank you for the input. I had been leaning toward Hunton, given my interests, but I wanted to make sure I wasn't unknowingly doing something incredibly stupid.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Oct 10, 2010 12:19 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:By way of example: Irell's not a V25, there isn't a single V25 that beats Irell for IP lit. You'd be advised by many to take Irell in a heartbeat over any of the NY Vault prestige firms, if you want to be a patent litigator.

You're using an extreme and somewhat misleading example, though. I don't think any V80 firm dominates any practice area the way Irell does with patent lit.

And perhaps more importantly, there might be concerns about job security. It's not an issue in your example, but if the V80 in question here has shown signs of serious financial difficulty whereas the V30 has not, it should be something OP thinks long and hard about.

Schulte

Return to “Legal Employment”