Future ADA's and Prosecutors

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
2LLLL

Re: Future ADA's and Prosecutors

Postby 2LLLL » Thu Jan 06, 2011 12:26 pm

Sorry if someone has said this already, but imo doing a spring/fall externship at a DA's office and making connections is probably TCR

A'nold

Postby A'nold » Thu Jan 06, 2011 3:14 pm

I am definitely going to try to set some kind of externship up with my school. Thanks for the comments about PD's guys. :)

los blancos

Postby los blancos » Fri Jan 07, 2011 5:27 pm

Voyager wrote:Oh, dude, sorry if I implied I thought that you HAD to know someone. Not at all.

Good grades and knowing how to nail the very specific interviews that DA offices give is pretty huge as well.

That said, it always helps to know someone and not because they will help you get hired (frankly, I don't think knowing an ADA is going to help convince the DA to actually extend an offer). Knowing someone gives you an inside track on how to prepare for the interview. Don't discount how tricky these interviews are: they are screening a ton of people and have some very specific tests they give you.

Having some prosecution experience as an intern demonstrates that you know what the job entails, that you are committed to public service and prosecution and gives you interviewing material that showcases you doing prosecutorial work.

All of that is a huge advantage.

Thanks for this post!

How do you get your foot in the door? I want to be an ADA more than almost anything (well, I want to be a AUSA but we can all dream), but I may have to look for jobs in areas I have no ties to. How do I convince Podunk County DA to give me an interview? Does school prestige help at all?

Voyager

Postby Voyager » Fri Jan 07, 2011 6:02 pm

los blancos wrote:
Voyager wrote:Oh, dude, sorry if I implied I thought that you HAD to know someone. Not at all.

Good grades and knowing how to nail the very specific interviews that DA offices give is pretty huge as well.

That said, it always helps to know someone and not because they will help you get hired (frankly, I don't think knowing an ADA is going to help convince the DA to actually extend an offer). Knowing someone gives you an inside track on how to prepare for the interview. Don't discount how tricky these interviews are: they are screening a ton of people and have some very specific tests they give you.

Having some prosecution experience as an intern demonstrates that you know what the job entails, that you are committed to public service and prosecution and gives you interviewing material that showcases you doing prosecutorial work.

All of that is a huge advantage.

Thanks for this post!

How do you get your foot in the door? I want to be an ADA more than almost anything (well, I want to be a AUSA but we can all dream), but I may have to look for jobs in areas I have no ties to. How do I convince Podunk County DA to give me an interview? Does school prestige help at all?

Well, first it really really helps to have done an internship at their office. Shows you like them, that you are interested. you also know their office. And you also know people there who will help you get the 1st round.

Another route is seeking out alums who cycled through that office or are there currently. Again, such connections are unlikely to get you through all 3 rounds by themselves but they will help you land that 1st round interview.

Otherwise... great grades with a demonstrate commitment to public service in general and prosecution specifically.

I got set up for 1 ADA interview through a connection, another through grades/classes I took/prior experience in prosecution and public service and a third through OCI.

los blancos

Postby los blancos » Fri Jan 07, 2011 6:11 pm

Thank you very much!

Yeah, makes me a little nervous because I'm not sure where I'm going to end up, which constrains my ability to figure out how to make some connections. I'm hoping experience helps me out (worked at State's Attorney during UG, hopefully going to do either a DA or US Attorney's office both 1L and 2L - i.e., I don't think I'll have any trouble proving commitment to being a prosecutor).

deadhipsters

Postby deadhipsters » Tue Apr 26, 2011 6:05 pm

deadhipsters wrote:How is everyone's employment prospects looking? I have heard that budget freezes in Seattle, Miami, and other major markets are greatly effecting upcoming graduates. Are people getting offers still, and if not, what are peoples back-up plans?

bibbidy bump. How are people fairing?

leobowski

Postby leobowski » Wed Apr 27, 2011 1:39 pm

Anonymous User wrote:I think the advice about 90% of offices hiring based on nepotism being legit as these used to be t2+ jobs (with a few exceptions for high-prestige areas), I am at UC D/H with top 25%/crim CALI/crim summer work/etc and I got flat out rejected from SF (the prestigious one) and other DAs literally told me "you know that we don't really care about grades, and the majority of our ppl come from the local t3/t4, we just want charismatic people who can convince a jury"

I wouldn't say the nepotism argument is accurate across the board. A lot of DAs care about grades, in contrast to the weird reverse elitism you see with many trial-level public defenders. And stellar credentials (top 10%+LR) will get you in for an interview at the more prestigious DAs and DOJ SLIP/Honors. A lot of the young lawyers at those offices are fed. clerkship material or fresh out of one. The same goes for appellate defenders.

A'nold

Postby A'nold » Wed May 04, 2011 12:50 pm

I came across this message board via a google search and loved hearing the comments about job satisfaction from ADA's/Former ADA's. It is old but nice to see that we will (hopefully) be going into a field that many consider to be the most action packed, entertaining, and satisfying out of all law jobs.

http://tdcaa.infopop.net/4/OpenTopic?a= ... =212109559

As for my situation, I have a 2L summer externship lined up with a mid-sized city. It is in a "podunk" part of the state but the largest city in a very broad geographical area. My plan is to absolutely work my butt off this summer, make as many connections/make as many good impressions as possible, and use my nights off to study cases (or whatever I'll do as a low end intern w/ my own case load) to do the best job possible. I have been ready different prosecution materials and I plan to start going to court in my spare time to watch ADA's do misdemeanor stuff. A great book that I am reading was written by Dehkle (a UF Law clinical professor) called (I think), the Prosecutor's Handbook or something like that.

Then, I hope to extern for a quarter somewhere closer to home during 3L year. Hopefully, I make a good enough impression that one of the offices will hire me when I apply for a job, lol.

npe

Postby npe » Wed May 04, 2011 2:19 pm

Thanks for sharing that link -- it's a good read.

deadhipsters

Postby deadhipsters » Wed May 04, 2011 6:07 pm

A'nold wrote:I came across this message board via a google search and loved hearing the comments about job satisfaction from ADA's/Former ADA's. It is old but nice to see that we will (hopefully) be going into a field that many consider to be the most action packed, entertaining, and satisfying out of all law jobs.

As for my situation, I have a 2L summer externship lined up with a mid-sized city. It is in a "podunk" part of the state but the largest city in a very broad geographical area. My plan is to absolutely work my butt off this summer, make as many connections/make as many good impressions as possible, and use my nights off to study cases (or whatever I'll do as a low end intern w/ my own case load) to do the best job possible. I have been ready different prosecution materials and I plan to start going to court in my spare time to watch ADA's do misdemeanor stuff. A great book that I am reading was written by Dehkle (a UF Law clinical professor) called (I think), the Prosecutor's Handbook or something like that.

Then, I hope to extern for a quarter somewhere closer to home during 3L year. Hopefully, I make a good enough impression that one of the offices will hire me when I apply for a job, lol.

Thanks for sharing A'nold. Good luck to you. Did you end up at UW? If so, what have you heard about the hiring freezes at Seattle DA's office

A'nold

Postby A'nold » Wed May 04, 2011 6:12 pm

deadhipsters wrote:
A'nold wrote:I came across this message board via a google search and loved hearing the comments about job satisfaction from ADA's/Former ADA's. It is old but nice to see that we will (hopefully) be going into a field that many consider to be the most action packed, entertaining, and satisfying out of all law jobs.

Thanks for sharing A'nold. Good luck to you. Did you end up at UW? If so, what have you heard about the hiring freezes at Seattle DA's office

This is EXTREMELY anecdotal and could be completely wrong but I heard that King County hired a handful of kids this year. A student was complaining to be about how he worked for a city instead of a county and that the counties at least hired some people after their summer extern/internship. This is the main reason why I pursued an unpaid county externship instead of continuing my interviews w/ paid city jobs. I think his advice will pan out, at least in the long run (I hope).

deadhipsters

Postby deadhipsters » Wed May 04, 2011 6:31 pm

Hm, that's interesting. It is my understanding that Miami and a few other major cities are just flat out not hiring right now. Lets go economy!

Stringer Bell

Postby Stringer Bell » Wed May 04, 2011 6:32 pm

underdawg wrote:well if the charming juries thing is what DAs are looking for, it seems that people from podunk schools are better qualified. you even hear about this kinda stuff happening in other areas (i.e. patent litigation against foreign companies in podunk ass areas like texas, plaintiffs attorneys in podunk areas mispronouncing firm names to make them sound as jewish as possible, etc.). but the more i think about it, it sorta makes sense for DAs office to not go all weak in the knees for "big city law grads."

There's probably some truth to this. David Rudolph appeared to wipe the floor with James Hardin in the Michael Peterson case and still wound up losing.

A'nold

Postby A'nold » Wed May 04, 2011 6:33 pm

deadhipsters wrote:Hm, that's interesting. It is my understanding that Miami and a few other major cities are just flat out not hiring right now. Lets go economy!

I think all of the openings in WA that I've heard of were turnover positions. The boss at my 2L summer office said that she gets like 5 or so openings based on turnover each year.

A'nold

Postby A'nold » Thu May 05, 2011 8:39 pm

I wish there were more of us on here...... :cry:

deadhipsters

Postby deadhipsters » Thu May 05, 2011 11:32 pm

A'nold wrote:I wish there were more of us on here...... :cry:

I do and I don't. I still feel like it is unknown to a lot of LS students how great of a job being an ADA/ prosecution is. I just hope there is openings enough to accomodate those of us who geniunely want to enter the field.

Geist13

Postby Geist13 » Fri May 06, 2011 12:41 am

Well I'm one of "us" I suppose; or at least I was before I had to sit through my godawful crim class last semester. Working at a largish city's DA this summer, hoping that will revive my interest.

A'nold

Postby A'nold » Fri May 06, 2011 1:24 am

Geist13 wrote:

Well I'm one of "us" I suppose; or at least I was before I had to sit through my godawful crim class last semester. Working at a largish city's DA this summer, hoping that will revive my interest.

To be honest, 1L year very much lessened my initial prosecution desire. However, 2L year has completely rekindled it and then some. You get to take criminal procedure courses and evidence, etc.

npe

Postby npe » Sat May 07, 2011 2:07 pm

Evidence was awesome. That, my internship this semester with a section in DOJ-CRM, and Trial Practice really confirmed my goal for prosecution. Hoping that the fact that I'm not working for a prosecutor's office this summer won't hurt me too much (still gov't enforcement-type work, though).

uwb09

Postby uwb09 » Sat May 07, 2011 2:56 pm

A'nold, have you worked/planningto work in the King County Prosecuting Attorney's office? I thought about applying there to work this summer after my 1L year but kinda had to go with my gut on another path; however, I was wondering if you had any inside info on if they are likely to take 2nd year externs that didn't intern with them 1st year?

Oh, and 1L is also definitely playing with my prosecuting dreams, but I've met with my crim law prof a couple times since fall and each time I do the fire gets rekindled, hoping that taking crim pro/evidence in the fall will really bring back the desire. Anyway, glad to hear someone else kinda went through that lull also

A'nold

Postby A'nold » Sat May 07, 2011 5:02 pm

uwb09 wrote:A'nold, have you worked/planningto work in the King County Prosecuting Attorney's office? I thought about applying there to work this summer after my 1L year but kinda had to go with my gut on another path; however, I was wondering if you had any inside info on if they are likely to take 2nd year externs that didn't intern with them 1st year?

Oh, and 1L is also definitely playing with my prosecuting dreams, but I've met with my crim law prof a couple times since fall and each time I do the fire gets rekindled, hoping that taking crim pro/evidence in the fall will really bring back the desire. Anyway, glad to hear someone else kinda went through that lull also

Yeah, I think being bombarded with so many other interesting areas of law and the stress you experience in 1L can get you considering other paths. It seems that 2L year does a good job of sparking the fire again.

I know a girl that will be working for King County this summer (she is a 2L). It pays like $3,500 a month. Their website is actually pretty informative. I missed the application deadline but am happy with the office I will be working at this summer. One interesting thing is that King County point-blank tells you that they are throwing you into the wolves and that you will either sink or swim. It seems pretty cut-throat and intense. The office where I will be working seems a little more friendly/laid back. Time will tell though. :)

leobowski

Postby leobowski » Sat May 07, 2011 5:24 pm

Wow $3500 a month is pretty good for a public service gig. My 2L public defender internship will pay a princely sum of $9.00 an hour 8)

A'nold

Postby A'nold » Sat May 07, 2011 8:32 pm

leobowski wrote:Wow $3500 a month is pretty good for a public service gig. My 2L public defender internship will pay a princely sum of $9.00 an hour 8)

Yeah, I'm kicking myself for missing the application deadline. This office seems like a better fit for me though so maybe it was better this way.

Return to “Legal Employment”