Jobless 3L | Having Trouble Staying Motivated

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
ScaredWorkedBored

Re: Jobless 3L | Having Trouble Staying Motivated

Postby ScaredWorkedBored » Sat Oct 09, 2010 8:42 pm

Duke's not the only school to do that, although they're probably the most extensive. Regardless, the employed-at-graduation includes those as well as everyone who has a deferred start date (i.e. likely not real unless economy gets helluva better). Oh, and apparently anyone from Duke who got no-offered was easily able to find a job during their 3L year...

It's funny because I posted up my job hunt last year and this year (for a permanent position), and all the replies I get are "FLAME, FLAME, FLAME" because it's completely inconceivable to people someone that goes to a t14 school can't find a job. People just assume that if they don't get biglaw that some "shitlaw" $40k /year job is guaranteed simply because they go to a t14. Truth is even the crappiest of jobs out there have become unbelievably competitive because there are so few of those "crappy jobs" out there. IMO, for the most part, it's all over after 2L OCI for those of us that don't make it because the other options out there are really competitive as well (e.g. small law firms), and the school you go to and the grades you got seem to matter to a lesser degree (although they still matter).
It's funny because I posted up my job hunt last year and this year (for a permanent position), and all the replies I get are "FLAME, FLAME, FLAME" because it's completely inconceivable to people someone that goes to a t14 school can't find a job. People just assume that if they don't get biglaw that some "shitlaw" $40k /year job is guaranteed simply because they go to a t14. Truth is even the crappiest of jobs out there have become unbelievably competitive because there are so few of those "crappy jobs" out there. IMO, for the most part, it's all over after 2L OCI for those of us that don't make it because the other options out there are really competitive as well (e.g. small law firms), and the school you go to and the grades you got seem to matter to a lesser degree (although they still matter).

The difficulty in finding any job i s probably due to the legal sector as a whole being several thousand jobs smaller than it was last year, while there are 30,000 or so new grads since then. Attrition ain't that high, especially when the positions that are being attrited are generally being eliminated or not available to new grads.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Oct 09, 2010 10:34 pm

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Oct 10, 2010 5:01 pm

OP are we talking lower T14 DCNG? or MVPB? I dont think you are talking CCN.

Regardless of what law school OP is talking about, the assumption that CCN people are all doing OK ITE is flat wrong. I know many 3Ls at Columbia who are scrambling to find work.

Return to “Legal Employment”