Accepting offer on the spot Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
chitown825

Bronze

Accepting offer on the spot

Post by chitown825 » Thu Oct 07, 2010 11:13 am

I've read that it's not proper to accept a law firm offer on the spot. Thoughts?

caoyun

Bronze

Re: Accepting offer on the spot

Post by caoyun » Thu Oct 07, 2010 11:26 am

chitown825 wrote:I've read that it's not proper to accept a law firm offer on the spot. Thoughts?
If you're sure you want that job, I don't see the problem. Some people might worry that the firm will think you're desperate, but they could just as easily think that they're your #1 choice.

Besides, does it really matter? Once you're an SA, you'll be offered or no-offered based primarily on your work. If your work is sufficient, do you really think they'll no-offer you because you accepted the offer immediately?

Nicholasnickynic

Silver

Post by Nicholasnickynic » Thu Oct 07, 2010 11:52 am

No, they won't no offer because of your eagerness to work there.

But deciding whether to hire you are not is a combination of little things. You want all the little things to go your way.

Why have to fight anything? Why have to say, "My work product will weight outweigh my overeagerness!" ? Why not just get back to them later, and have a great work product?

I say, if you can avoid do something potentially counter-productive, no-matter how insignificantly so, do it. I mean, why not?

underdawg

Silver

Post by underdawg » Thu Oct 07, 2010 6:19 pm

you have to wait 3 days
Last edited by underdawg on Sun Jan 28, 2018 12:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.

vamedic03

Gold

Post by vamedic03 » Thu Oct 07, 2010 6:23 pm

They're going to spend $30k on you over a summer. I don't think they're going to no offer you, and throw away $30k, just because you were eager to join their firm. If you want to accept an offer on the spot, go for it. I personally think its best to sleep on decisions like this (since you have 28 days), but to each their own.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Cavalier

Gold

Post by Cavalier » Thu Oct 07, 2010 6:39 pm

How you accept an offer is almost certainly not going to matter. Sure, if you respond with "Oh thank God! I was so worried no one would want me. Everyone else has rejected me already. I'm so glad to finally have an offer. I accept! I accept!" you might cause the firm to question whether giving you an offer was a good idea, but accepting an offer on the spot, by itself, doesn't necessary signal desperation.
Last edited by Cavalier on Fri Apr 26, 2013 7:18 am, edited 1 time in total.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Oct 07, 2010 6:42 pm

I don't think it looks bad at all. I accepted my offer for the summer on the spot and the firm knew I had other offers. I think they liked my enthusiasm. One of the partners I spoke to at my callback was talking about why I should come the firm and said that x number of summers accepted their offers on the spot, talking about the desirability of the firm. I think letting it get down to the wire is the only thing that looks bad. In fact, firms like S&C, Quinn, and Gibson Dunn put you on the spot and want you to accept right there.

edited to say that, in all likelihood, no one is going to remember 10 months from now when it comes time for hiring decisions.
Last edited by Anonymous User on Thu Oct 07, 2010 6:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Anonymous Abuser

New

Post by Anonymous Abuser » Thu Oct 07, 2010 6:43 pm

I received a rejection phone call from my top choice, but had it been a normal post-callback phone call (an offer, ha), I would have accepted on the spot. Who cares?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Oct 07, 2010 7:01 pm

I accepted an offer on the spot from a firm that was my top choice and found out later that the hiring partner even talked about me in interviews with other candidates (in a good way). Don't see how this could hurt you if it's genuine. Firms want people who are eager to work there. If you want the job, why toy with them? Seems silly to string them along if you're certain it's your first choice.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Oct 07, 2010 7:08 pm

Anonymous User wrote:I don't think it looks bad at all. I accepted my offer for the summer on the spot and the firm knew I had other offers. I think they liked my enthusiasm. One of the partners I spoke to at my callback was talking about why I should come the firm and said that x number of summers accepted their offers on the spot, talking about the desirability of the firm. I think letting it get down to the wire is the only thing that looks bad. In fact, firms like S&C, Quinn, and Gibson Dunn put you on the spot and want you to accept right there.

edited to say that, in all likelihood, no one is going to remember 10 months from now when it comes time for hiring decisions.
Definitely wasn't put on the spot by S&C - yes, they offered on the spot, but there was certainly 0 pressure to make a decision until the 28 day deadline.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Oct 08, 2010 10:15 am

I accepted on the spot. The hiring partner seemed a bit surprised at first (I think because he knew I had other firms in play), but also excited. I calmly explained that I was so impressed with their firm during my callback that they had become my first choice. Within an hour I had e-mails from 4 of the attorneys who'd interviewed me saying how happy they were to hear I'd accepted.

So I don't think it had a negative impact.

CanadianWolf

Diamond

Post by CanadianWolf » Fri Oct 08, 2010 10:19 am

Just quote Groucho Marx:
"I don't want to belong to any club that would have me as a member."

Do not respond: Obviously you guys don't do background checks.

Also best not to blurt out:
Do I have to give you my real social security number now ?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Oct 08, 2010 11:39 am

Nothing enormously negative with accepting on the spot, but you do come across as a bit silly. Up until your offer, you've met a screening interviewer and four or five other attorneys on your callback, and visited an office. Until then, your exposure to the firm has been around 6 hours. If things really clicked, that's all well and good, but just make sure that's the case. Do a follow-up. Most firms will fly you back to meet with more attorneys and help your with your decision. It's completely harmless and does that much more to confirm your initial instinct. This is a life choice. Do your due diligence.

And I think it's perfectly normal to accept your permanent offer on the spot. Up until then, you'll have had more than two months' exposure to the firm.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Oct 08, 2010 1:15 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Nothing enormously negative with accepting on the spot, but you do come across as a bit silly. Up until your offer, you've met a screening interviewer and four or five other attorneys on your callback, and visited an office. Until then, your exposure to the firm has been around 6 hours. If things really clicked, that's all well and good, but just make sure that's the case. Do a follow-up. Most firms will fly you back to meet with more attorneys and help your with your decision. It's completely harmless and does that much more to confirm your initial instinct. This is a life choice. Do your due diligence.

And I think it's perfectly normal to accept your permanent offer on the spot. Up until then, you'll have had more than two months' exposure to the firm.
I think this also depends on the circumstances. I've known two attorneys who worked at the firm I accepted on the spot with for about 4 years, so my exposure to the firm was more than just "6 hours." I was also in the big law field before law school and already knew more than most 1 and 2Ls about law firms in general. Just saying things aren't always as black and white as TLS members try to make them these days.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Apr 25, 2013 6:40 pm

my bad wrong post

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Apr 25, 2013 8:19 pm

I don't do it anymore, but I used to meet with most summer associate interviewees. The hiring commitee at my firm LOVED when people accepted on the spot or shortly after the offer. They did not like it when people sat on offers. This is not to say you have to accept on the spot, but if you already know you are going to accept, I would accept on the spot.

Likewise, if you are made a permanent offer after you summer, telling them sooner rather than later is much appreciated. If you need time to think/interview, no one will ultimately hold it against you... but, again, if you know you will accept then just accept. This is not dating :)

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”