. Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
reasonable_man

Gold

Re: Getting dinged AFTER withdrawing from firm?

Post by reasonable_man » Thu Oct 07, 2010 3:54 pm

aph wrote:And, comment to the person who said law students aren't professionals...some of us had careers prior to starting law school. Careers in professional recruiting, for example, among other things.

Done with this. Good day.

Lawyers, doctors and accountants are professionals. Everyone else is a worker. If you were not a lawyer, doctor or professional in your past career, you are not a professional.

czelede

Silver

Post by czelede » Thu Oct 07, 2010 4:26 pm

reasonable_man wrote:
aph wrote:And, comment to the person who said law students aren't professionals...some of us had careers prior to starting law school. Careers in professional recruiting, for example, among other things.

Lawyers, doctors and accountants are professionals. Everyone else is a worker. If you were not a lawyer, doctor or professional in your past career, you are not a professional.
Not getting involved in the debate about unprofessional behavior, but:

Professional:
a : of, relating to, or characteristic of a profession
b : engaged in one of the learned professions
c (1) : characterized by or conforming to the technical or ethical standards of a profession (2) : exhibiting a courteous, conscientious, and generally businesslike manner in the workplace

Profession:
a : a calling requiring specialized knowledge and often long and intensive academic preparation
b : a principal calling, vocation, or employment
c : the whole body of persons engaged in a calling

I don't think professionals are restricted to the fields of medicine, law, and accountancy but I agree that law students are not professionals since they are no longer engaging in a learned profession (but rather, learning a profession?).

rayiner

Platinum

Post by rayiner » Thu Oct 07, 2010 4:38 pm

LOL.

pocket herc

Bronze

Post by pocket herc » Thu Oct 07, 2010 4:51 pm

aph wrote:Sure, that's probably the reason (that or maybe more likely, disorganization, as most firms did not do this). But it is still unprofessional. I mentioned this to a recruiting partner at another firm and he/she was aghast. Great way to alienate potential lateral candidates.

I've also receieved an offer letter addressed to the wrong person (they probably got mine). It irks me that as candidates we are dinged for a minor typo, but firms don't take the same care in their own communications.
aghast? really?...ponce

Stanford4Me

Platinum

Post by Stanford4Me » Thu Oct 07, 2010 5:09 pm

It didn't bother you but you took time to make a thread about it. Geez.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

bk1

Diamond

Post by bk1 » Thu Oct 07, 2010 5:13 pm

Stanford4Me wrote:It didn't bother you but you took time to make a thread about it. Geez.
Somebody needs to call the waaahmbulance.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Oct 08, 2010 12:50 pm

aph wrote:Sigh. Why are YOU so concerned?

1. I'm not a guy
2. This came up during coffee, in a post-offer meeting. Although I loved the firm, I accepted elsewhere. So no evil partner harboring a grudge is going to derail my career. Hate to disturb your elaborate fantasies.
3. Came up in a conversation about hiring (I expressed interest in someday being involved in recruiting) resumes, typos, etc. I joked offhand about typos in firm letters. Partner asked what firm it was.
4. One of the firms (offer letter typo) contacted me THREE times to apologize after THEY noticed. So they must care a teeny bit
5. Some students do look at professionalism. And firms do care how they look to candidates. There is a lot of fighting over the top students (I'm not claiming to be one of them).
6. I didn't really care! If I were that ego driven I would have waited to see if I would get offers from the firms. I withdrew immediately as to give someone else a chance. I just posted because I was curious as to whether this was common.
7. You need a new moniker.
Are you sure the firm wasn't sending you a letter to clarify that it NEVER intended to hire you? This theory has seemed increasingly likely to me the more I've read on this thread.

During OCI, I heard back from several firms relatively quickly, but many didn't bother to send rejection letters at all. And we're talking about some very large and well-known firms (at least in Texas) on either side of the "response spectrum." Someone who "didn't really care" would have done what I did - NOTHING.
Can you believe those scoundrels actually had the nerve to send me ... ME ... a form letter rejecting me
:lol:

phoenixsoars

New

Post by phoenixsoars » Fri Oct 08, 2010 4:24 pm

Last edited by phoenixsoars on Wed Jul 04, 2012 8:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.

saucie

New

Post by saucie » Fri Oct 08, 2010 5:01 pm

rayiner wrote:You're entitled to respect when you're a professional. Law students aren't professionals. They are students. Kids mostly, in fact.
I doubt anybody is ever "entitled" to respect, professional or not.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

rayiner

Platinum

Post by rayiner » Fri Oct 08, 2010 5:08 pm

saucie wrote:
rayiner wrote:You're entitled to respect when you're a professional. Law students aren't professionals. They are students. Kids mostly, in fact.
Yes, you are entitled to respect as a professional, under the (admittedly forgotten) courtesies of our society.

reasonable_man

Gold

Post by reasonable_man » Fri Oct 08, 2010 5:11 pm

Eh.. Whatever.. I deal with pain in the ass, douchie lawyers on a daily basis.. Op will join those ranks soon.. What's one more lawyer that I can't stand added to the growing list?

FYI Op... This is the point where you throw in some elitist remark about how we will never correspond because you're so fucking brilliant that you're going to specialize in "Moon-Law," "outer-space Law" or, possibly the most elite law, "over the border cross fertilized, international (of course), patent intellectual with property too moose protection law," and as such, the chances of us crossing paths is so low that it isn't worth considering... Don't miss the boat on this one hot shot.. Get it done.
Last edited by reasonable_man on Fri Oct 08, 2010 5:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Bosque

Gold

Post by Bosque » Fri Oct 08, 2010 5:12 pm

rayiner wrote:
saucie wrote:
Yes, you are entitled to respect as a professional, under the (admittedly forgotten) courtesies of our society.
I agree. But I also think law students are entitled to respect. As are colleges students. As are kids even. I don't care who the other person is, unless you have a specific reason not to you should show them the same basic respect as you would anyone else.

It has nothing to do with any benefit to yourself. It is just the right thing to do.

MrAnon

Gold

Post by MrAnon » Fri Oct 08, 2010 5:20 pm

It shows that you don't care about the recipient.
hahaha. Guess what? They don't. law students and attorneys are fungible. that means you can be replaced by another law student or attorney. That is also why salaries are "lock step". No single summer associate or first year adds any more value than the rest. So they pay all of them at the same rate.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”