Offers & Clerkships

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous Abuser

Offers & Clerkships

Postby Anonymous Abuser » Wed Oct 06, 2010 2:34 pm

Just a quick (and perhaps silly) question:

If I receive an offer from my summer employer (this would likely happen prior to clerkship applications), do I need to accept it, or can I ask them to keep it open until I complete my clerkship?

I've heard that for a 2L not to accept a summer offer on the spot looks bad (directly from hiring people at my old firm).

Is it different for those who plan to clerk?

Anonymous Abuser

Re: Offers & Clerkships

Postby Anonymous Abuser » Wed Oct 06, 2010 7:24 pm

G. T. L. Rev. wrote:The short answer is: it depends. Some firms will get you a permanent offer decision before clerkship hiring takes place, others won't. Some judges require you to not accept any offers of employment, others don't. In my case I was able to accept my firm's offer before starting my clerkship, but the firm said it would've held it for me if I needed them to.

While firms generally prefer you to accept promptly, not doing so because your judge requires you not to is a generally understood thing in the legal profession. As long your firm is a reputable one and the economy doesn't tank (any further) during your clerkship, the offer will still be there for you afterwards. Where things get a little tricky is bar stipends/advances.

What if the offer comes before I know what judge? Is it OK to ask them to await the outcome of clerkship hiring?

dscummy21

Re: Offers & Clerkships

Postby dscummy21 » Wed Oct 06, 2010 8:12 pm

When are the offers generally made?

Last week of SA? A week later? A month?!?

Return to “Legal Employment”