Is firm hiring over? Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
ASM11

New

Is firm hiring over?

Post by ASM11 » Wed Oct 06, 2010 12:13 pm

Is sending out resumes to firms at this point a waste of time? Any thoughts or knowledge on hiring timelines would be appreciated.

ASM11

New

Re: Is firm hiring over?

Post by ASM11 » Wed Oct 06, 2010 12:14 pm

sorry, I accidentally posted anon, I know that's a no-no.

Aberzombie1892

Gold

Post by Aberzombie1892 » Wed Oct 06, 2010 12:15 pm

No, but be prepared for a lot more insta-dings because many firms are indeed finished (especially if your grades don't make you competitive)

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Oct 06, 2010 12:18 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Is sending out resumes to firms at this point a waste of time? Any thoughts or knowledge on hiring timelines would be appreciated.
If you don't have a job at this point, whats the harm in trying? I got a callback with a firm I emailed two weeks ago. Granted, two weeks is a lot of time, but its worth a shot.

ASM11

New

Post by ASM11 » Wed Oct 06, 2010 12:26 pm

True, just feeling like it's a black hole. I'm broadening my search a lot I just keep kicking myself because if I had broadened it earlier I might have been in a different boat. Sucks to feel like I missed opportunities.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

lawschoollll

Bronze

Post by lawschoollll » Wed Oct 06, 2010 12:36 pm

Yes, it ended in 2008.

ASM11

New

Post by ASM11 » Wed Oct 06, 2010 12:42 pm

hahahahahahaha that was a nice one

Aqualibrium

Gold

Post by Aqualibrium » Wed Oct 06, 2010 12:45 pm

ASM11 wrote:True, just feeling like it's a black hole. I'm broadening my search a lot I just keep kicking myself because if I had broadened it earlier I might have been in a different boat. Sucks to feel like I missed opportunities.

To those of you who read this thread in the future, pay attention to what this person just said.

Do not rely solely on OCI no matter what your grades are like or where your school is. Go to job fairs, target mail firms, and network your ass off. Before you get back to school in August you should have already sent out app packages to firms.

p.s. op, keep trying. For the most part, hiring may actually be over, but everyone is not done yet; I'm sure you can find something. Just try not to get discouraged by the rejections.

ASM11

New

Post by ASM11 » Wed Oct 06, 2010 12:54 pm

Aqualibrium wrote:
ASM11 wrote:True, just feeling like it's a black hole. I'm broadening my search a lot I just keep kicking myself because if I had broadened it earlier I might have been in a different boat. Sucks to feel like I missed opportunities.

To those of you who read this thread in the future, pay attention to what this person just said.

Do not rely solely on OCI no matter what your grades are like or where your school is. Go to job fairs, target mail firms, and network your ass off. Before you get back to school in August you should have already sent out app packages to firms.

p.s. op, keep trying. For the most part, hiring may actually be over, but everyone is not done yet; I'm sure you can find something. Just try not to get discouraged by the rejections.
Yeah thanks, I just feel like I'm doing it blindly...with time running out I really want to target the right stuff, but I feel like its so opaque.

And you're right - I wish I had felt desperate when this all started. I would have gone about it differently.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Oct 06, 2010 12:57 pm

Nope, hiring is not over. I got a call from a firm from my resume spam just yesterday (dla piper, won't specify the office). I won't be taking it (finally got an offer from my OCI, huzzah!), but the hiring is still going on. Just start sending out now.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Oct 06, 2010 1:07 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Nope, hiring is not over. I got a call from a firm from my resume spam just yesterday (DLA Piper, won't specify the office). I won't be taking it (finally got an offer from my OCI, huzzah!), but the hiring is still going on. Just start sending out now.
Out of curiosity, I resume spammed a couple dla piper offices about two weeks ago. When did you spam them?

JG Hall

Bronze

Post by JG Hall » Wed Oct 06, 2010 1:50 pm

Aqualibrium wrote:Do not rely solely on OCI no matter what your grades are like or where your school is.
exaggeration much.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Oct 06, 2010 2:45 pm

JG Hall wrote:
Aqualibrium wrote:Do not rely solely on OCI no matter what your grades are like or where your school is.
exaggeration much.

This is not an exaggeration. I know a guy with a GPA just shy of 4.0 at a T14 who got only one offer in the market he mainly concentrated on. Shit happens and you can get unlucky.

Also, people got callbacks from a V20 firm this week, well over a month post-OCI.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Diamond

Post by 20160810 » Wed Oct 06, 2010 6:19 pm

It's late in the game, yes, but if you don’t have a job yet what choice do you have but to send out resumes, regardless of the odds? Still, hiring is not over. I received an offer Monday and have had 2 other callbacks this week.

Aqualibrium

Gold

Post by Aqualibrium » Wed Oct 06, 2010 6:25 pm

JG Hall wrote:
exaggeration much.
Talk out of your ass much? I, and other posters here, can name countless people we personally know with great grades at great schools who relied solely on OCI and ended with nothing or something by just the skin of their teeth.

I don't care what school you go to, or how you eventually end up with regards to jobs, if OCI is the only thing you rely on for a job, YOU ARE UNWISE. That's putting it kindly.
Last edited by Aqualibrium on Wed Oct 06, 2010 6:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Veyron

Gold

Post by Veyron » Wed Oct 06, 2010 6:30 pm

Aqualibrium wrote:
JG Hall wrote:
exaggeration much.
Talk out of your ass much? I, and other posters here, can name countless people we personally know with great grades at great schools who relied solely on OCI and ended with nothing or something by just the skin of their teeth.
Lies, the top 10% at Yale can very comfortably rely on OCI, you are obviously a poorly informed dimwit, sorry bro.

Aqualibrium

Gold

Post by Aqualibrium » Wed Oct 06, 2010 6:33 pm

Veyron wrote:
Aqualibrium wrote:
JG Hall wrote:
exaggeration much.
Lies, the top 10% at Yale can very comfortably rely on OCI, you are obviously a poorly informed dimwit, sorry bro.
Not sure if this is trolling or if you're being serious. My response, do whatever you want. If you think that you don't have to put any effort into getting a job because it'll take care of itself through the OCI process, I really do wish you the best of luck.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Veyron

Gold

Post by Veyron » Wed Oct 06, 2010 6:40 pm

[/quote] Lies, the top 10% at Yale can very comfortably rely on OCI, you are obviously a poorly informed dimwit, sorry bro.[/quote]

Not sure if this is trolling or if you're being serious. My response, do whatever you want. If you think that you don't have to put any effort into getting a job because it'll take care of itself through the OCI process, I really do wish you the best of luck.[/quote]

I see you're a current applicant so I'm going to cut you some slack for being an idiot just this once. Don't do it again.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Oct 06, 2010 6:45 pm

JG Hall wrote:
I completely agree with this. If you are in a good position at a good school, wise bidding and minimal interview prep should get you something out of OCI, but this is by no means a guarantee. I know most of the law review grade-ons at my school (MVP), and several came dangerously close to striking out. Mass mailing is unnecessary, of course, but in retrospect I would recommend everyone do at least a few targeted mailings. Also, doing mailings gives you a decent shot at entering OCI with multiple callbacks lined up, which would have been a much-needed confidence booster for myself and many others.

Aqualibrium

Gold

Post by Aqualibrium » Wed Oct 06, 2010 7:13 pm

Veyron wrote: I see you're a current applicant so I'm going to cut you some slack for being an idiot just this once. Don't do it again.
LOL ok, Now I know you're kidding. Thanks for clarifying.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Oct 06, 2010 7:20 pm

Big firm hiring definitely isn't over yet. I had a callback last week and know for a fact that my application will be reviewed early next week. Okay, I guess hiring could be done, but recruiting work is not.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Oct 06, 2010 9:09 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Nope, hiring is not over. I got a call from a firm from my resume spam just yesterday (DLA Piper, won't specify the office). I won't be taking it (finally got an offer from my OCI, huzzah!), but the hiring is still going on. Just start sending out now.
Out of curiosity, I resume spammed a couple DLA Piper offices about two weeks ago. When did you spam them?
About two weeks ago. Got the rejections from a few of the other offices before the interview with this one.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Oct 06, 2010 9:13 pm

did you email dla? i have emailed 2 of the offices a couple of times (initial + follow up) AND applied for 1L positions and never received a single response. so weird. (and i have good grades, t5 school, so it's not like i'm so unqualified that they'd immediately just delete my email).

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Oct 06, 2010 9:21 pm

Crap, that was supposed to be anonymous. If a mod comes along, please change my above post to anonymous. If none does, oh well I guess.

To answer questions: no, it was not DC or Baltimore. And I submitted it over the Symplicity resume collect.

I REALLY should not say anymore at this point, since I accidentally outed myself.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Oct 06, 2010 10:39 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Out of curiosity, I resume spammed a couple DLA Piper offices about two weeks ago. When did you spam them?
About two weeks ago. Got the rejections from a few of the other offices before the interview with this one.
Can you confirm, if possible, whether it was either the DC or Baltimore office (don't need to specify which)? I hit both those about two weeks ago as well.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”