criminal law

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.

criminal law

Postby pelmen74 » Tue Oct 05, 2010 10:50 pm

Is DA work pretty much a prerequisite for any sort of criminal law? Do small criminal law firms hire fresh law students, do they have summer internships?

Re: criminal law

Postby leobowski » Tue Oct 05, 2010 11:29 pm

Sadly there just isn't as much money in criminal defense firms as other areas (except white-collar defense, of course). So they generally don't have structured summer associate programs, at least in my experience. But that isn't to say it isn't worth applying. A lot of great summer jobs can be had outside of OCI/ summer associate programs. At least on the criminal side of things, you have:

1. DA internships
3. Attorney General's Office Criminal Division internships
4. State/Local/Federal Public Defender Internships
5. Internships with criminal defense firms obtained outside of OCI.
6. Prosecution and Defense Aid Clinics.

Postby npe » Wed Oct 06, 2010 8:25 am

I'm not certain, but I think the Criminal Division doesn't participate in SLIP.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Oct 06, 2010 9:18 am

As to DOJ, that's true, but other divisions have sections that do exclusively criminal work. Antitrust (field offices and nat'l crim enforcement section) does white collar crime prosecution like bribery, kickbacks, tax evasion, etc. Tax, Environmental, National Security and Civil Rights also have sections that do exclusively criminal enforcement in their respective areas.

Return to “Legal Employment”