Firm has you waitlisted, asks you where you have offers

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User
Posts: 273201
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Firm has you waitlisted, asks you where you have offers

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Oct 05, 2010 1:10 pm

Do you say firm names? At this point, it's obvious I'm not "really wanted" by the firm...to tell or not to tell?

User avatar
doyleoil
Posts: 631
Joined: Sat Oct 11, 2008 2:59 pm

Re: Firm has you waitlisted, asks you where you have offers

Postby doyleoil » Tue Oct 05, 2010 1:28 pm

If they ask you, it's perfectly appropriate to tell them. If they don't ask you, but you think your acceptances will give you some leverage, it's also perfectly appropriate to "name-drop" anyway. Use every trick in your bag, IMO.

If, however, they ask you about your offers, and you don't really want to tell them, then you're kinda screwed, because I can't see any way you can decline the request without it coming off poorly.

Pablo Ramirez
Posts: 161
Joined: Thu Jun 17, 2010 8:01 pm

Re: Firm has you waitlisted, asks you where you have offers

Postby Pablo Ramirez » Tue Oct 05, 2010 1:34 pm

doyleoil wrote:If they ask you, it's perfectly appropriate to tell them. If they don't ask you, but you think your acceptances will give you some leverage, it's also perfectly appropriate to "name-drop" anyway. Use every trick in your bag, IMO.

If, however, they ask you about your offers, and you don't really want to tell them, then you're kinda screwed, because I can't see any way you can decline the request without it coming off poorly.


Check the Vault rankings and look at the three firms ranked directly above them. Those are the three that have given you offers; provided, of course, they have offices in the same city as the firm that asked you.

HTH.

Renzo
Posts: 4265
Joined: Tue Dec 02, 2008 3:23 am

Re: Firm has you waitlisted, asks you where you have offers

Postby Renzo » Tue Oct 05, 2010 2:16 pm

Pablo Ramirez wrote:
doyleoil wrote:If they ask you, it's perfectly appropriate to tell them. If they don't ask you, but you think your acceptances will give you some leverage, it's also perfectly appropriate to "name-drop" anyway. Use every trick in your bag, IMO.

If, however, they ask you about your offers, and you don't really want to tell them, then you're kinda screwed, because I can't see any way you can decline the request without it coming off poorly.


Check the Vault rankings and look at the three firms ranked directly above them. Those are the three that have given you offers; provided, of course, they have offices in the same city as the firm that asked you.

HTH.

Many legal recruiters have told many stories of candidates getting caught doing this sort of thing.

Pablo Ramirez
Posts: 161
Joined: Thu Jun 17, 2010 8:01 pm

Re: Firm has you waitlisted, asks you where you have offers

Postby Pablo Ramirez » Tue Oct 05, 2010 2:51 pm

Renzo wrote:
Pablo Ramirez wrote:
doyleoil wrote:If they ask you, it's perfectly appropriate to tell them. If they don't ask you, but you think your acceptances will give you some leverage, it's also perfectly appropriate to "name-drop" anyway. Use every trick in your bag, IMO.

If, however, they ask you about your offers, and you don't really want to tell them, then you're kinda screwed, because I can't see any way you can decline the request without it coming off poorly.


Check the Vault rankings and look at the three firms ranked directly above them. Those are the three that have given you offers; provided, of course, they have offices in the same city as the firm that asked you.

HTH.

Many legal recruiters have told many stories of candidates getting caught doing this sort of thing.


LIES!

CanadianWolf
Posts: 10439
Joined: Wed Mar 24, 2010 4:54 pm

Re: Firm has you waitlisted, asks you where you have offers

Postby CanadianWolf » Tue Oct 05, 2010 4:24 pm

Have you considered telling them that you prefer to treat pending offers as a confidential matter until concluded ? I understand that when one has multiple offers that it may be a negotiating advantage when dealing with a firm that has made an offer, but in this case it seems inappropriate to disclose. However, if you do not have any other offers, then tell them so.

User avatar
Kohinoor
Posts: 2756
Joined: Sat Oct 25, 2008 5:51 pm

Re: Firm has you waitlisted, asks you where you have offers

Postby Kohinoor » Tue Oct 05, 2010 4:49 pm

Pablo Ramirez wrote:
Renzo wrote:
Pablo Ramirez wrote:
doyleoil wrote:If they ask you, it's perfectly appropriate to tell them. If they don't ask you, but you think your acceptances will give you some leverage, it's also perfectly appropriate to "name-drop" anyway. Use every trick in your bag, IMO.

If, however, they ask you about your offers, and you don't really want to tell them, then you're kinda screwed, because I can't see any way you can decline the request without it coming off poorly.


Check the Vault rankings and look at the three firms ranked directly above them. Those are the three that have given you offers; provided, of course, they have offices in the same city as the firm that asked you.

HTH.

Many legal recruiters have told many stories of candidates getting caught doing this sort of thing.


LIES!

But if you say your other offer is from Jacoby & [deleted], you're getting dinged anyway. 6 of one, half dozen of the other.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273201
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Firm has you waitlisted, asks you where you have offers

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Oct 05, 2010 7:55 pm

CanadianWolf wrote:Have you considered telling them that you prefer to treat pending offers as a confidential matter until concluded ? I understand that when one has multiple offers that it may be a negotiating advantage when dealing with a firm that has made an offer, but in this case it seems inappropriate to disclose. However, if you do not have any other offers, then tell them so.


I kind of just laughed it off and mentioned it was a large firm - not sure how that came off. I do have offers from higher ranked firms, but I didn't mention them because I wasn't sure if I was supposed to given that I am on the waitlist and the firm is still unsure about me. It may have come off poorly because I didn't mention names, but I guess it's too late to go back in time now.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273201
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Firm has you waitlisted, asks you where you have offers

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Oct 05, 2010 8:18 pm

I was actually asked this as well, but not "where" I have offers. They just asked if I have any deadlines. I have no idea why they would ask this, though. Any speculations?

User avatar
KMaine
Posts: 862
Joined: Wed Dec 10, 2008 1:57 pm

Re: Firm has you waitlisted, asks you where you have offers

Postby KMaine » Tue Oct 05, 2010 8:58 pm

Anonymous User wrote:I was actually asked this as well, but not "where" I have offers. They just asked if I have any deadlines. I have no idea why they would ask this, though. Any speculations?


Yeah, they asked you so that they could give you a final decision before your next offer expires.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273201
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Firm has you waitlisted, asks you where you have offers

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Oct 05, 2010 10:03 pm

KMaine wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:I was actually asked this as well, but not "where" I have offers. They just asked if I have any deadlines. I have no idea why they would ask this, though. Any speculations?


Yeah, they asked you so that they could give you a final decision before your next offer expires.


TCR, but I think the poster may have meant why the firm asked me "where" I had offers.

Tbh, I don't know why they asked me where I had offers. I only mentioned my earliest deadline too, and I didn't mention firm names. I think I gave a terrible non-response. The question kind of took me off guard since other firms have asked me about deadlines but not firm names.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273201
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Firm has you waitlisted, asks you where you have offers

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Oct 08, 2010 4:18 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
KMaine wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:I was actually asked this as well, but not "where" I have offers. They just asked if I have any deadlines. I have no idea why they would ask this, though. Any speculations?


Yeah, they asked you so that they could give you a final decision before your next offer expires.


TCR, but I think the poster may have meant why the firm asked me "where" I had offers.

Tbh, I don't know why they asked me where I had offers. I only mentioned my earliest deadline too, and I didn't mention firm names. I think I gave a terrible non-response. The question kind of took me off guard since other firms have asked me about deadlines but not firm names.


This is the OP. I must have given a terrible non-response and/or the firm didn't really like me because I got dinged 2 days later.

Good luck to everyone who is in a similar situation. If you are in a similar situation, and you really like this firm, I would mention your higher-ranked offers instead of chuckling awkwardly and giving a non-response like I did.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273201
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Firm has you waitlisted, asks you where you have offers

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Oct 08, 2010 4:36 pm

What if a firm asks you this and you DON'T have offers?

Anonymous User
Posts: 273201
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Firm has you waitlisted, asks you where you have offers

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Oct 08, 2010 6:48 pm

Anonymous User wrote:What if a firm asks you this and you DON'T have offers?


[If it's at a callback, just be honest and say you don't have deadlines right now.] However, in line with this thread, post-callback, a firm shouldn't ask you this unless you call to ask your status. If you are waitlisted and you don't have impending deadlines, I would not call firms to get your decision. At this point, firms should have given out all of their first round offers, meaning that they are now waiting to see who will accept. Your best bet is to wait without contacting the firm, because firms are more likely to reject a candidate who asks to push their deadline than give them an offer because they have already given their first round of offers and don't want to risk an excess of people accepting an offer.




Return to “Legal Employment”

Who is online

The online users are hidden on this forum.