Which firm is best for lit?

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.

Which firm for litigation

Poll ended at Fri Oct 08, 2010 8:43 am

Goodwin Boston
17%
Kirkland DC
83%
Fried Frank DC
No votes

Total votes: 24

Anonymous User

Which firm is best for lit?

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Oct 05, 2010 8:43 am

Quality of work matters to me, but so does quality of life.

Anonymous Abuser

Re: Which firm is best for lit?

Postby Anonymous Abuser » Tue Oct 05, 2010 10:26 am

LOL @ big law & quality of life.

NYAssociate

Postby NYAssociate » Tue Oct 05, 2010 10:33 am

Last edited by NYAssociate on Tue Oct 05, 2010 9:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Oct 05, 2010 1:59 pm

NYAssociate wrote:"Quality of life" in this economy is "having a job." You'll work hard at any of these places. But take K&E for the job security and quality of work and practice.

Kirkland's overrated, not sure why you cheer for them in every thread you post on, Kirkland NY is very very dangerous.
Kirkland DC is good, but not nearly as good as some other DC options.
For these three? Yes, Kirk DC

NYAssociate

Postby NYAssociate » Tue Oct 05, 2010 2:09 pm

Not so much that as I don't think there is any competition. Regarding Cadwalader, I'm genuinely happy for you.

I told myself that the day people started publicly speculating about where I work or trying to out me, I'd stop posting. The risk to me far outweighs any benefit I could provide here. While I certainly have my favorites when it comes to specific firms, I like to think provide some value beyond that. This is my last post.

bluefish

Postby bluefish » Tue Oct 05, 2010 2:12 pm

NYAssociate wrote:Not so much that as I don't think there is any competition. Regarding Cadwalader, I'm genuinely happy for you.

I told myself that the day people started publicly speculating about where I work or trying to out me, I'd stop posting. The risk to me far outweighs any benefit I could provide here. While I certainly have my favorites when it comes to specific firms, I like to think provide some value beyond that. This is my last post.

Why should we care about this? Why do you have such an overinflated view of the utility you add to this largely anonymous internet chat board?

Who cares whether you work for Kirkland NY? You're 1) being too paranoid, 2) being REALLY arrogant about your "usefulness" on this site.

vanwinkle

Postby vanwinkle » Tue Oct 05, 2010 2:14 pm

Let's end the pissing contest and get back to trying to give the OP legitimate advice, for those who have advice they haven't already given.

BruceWayne

Postby BruceWayne » Tue Oct 05, 2010 2:18 pm

I thought Kirkland DC was a seriously top notch firm? Top notch as in only behind W&C in DC. Was I misguided, aren't they very selective?

bluefish

Postby bluefish » Tue Oct 05, 2010 2:21 pm

BruceWayne wrote:I thought Kirkland DC was a seriously top notch firm? Top notch as in only behind W&C in DC. Was I misguided, aren't they very selective?

nope, covington, jenner, etc. >>> kirk DC

BruceWayne

Postby BruceWayne » Tue Oct 05, 2010 3:44 pm

bluefish wrote:
BruceWayne wrote:I thought Kirkland DC was a seriously top notch firm? Top notch as in only behind W&C in DC. Was I misguided, aren't they very selective?

Isn't Covington focused on regulatory and life science work? While Jenner is focused on appellate. If you don't want to work in those areas how are they any better?

spondee

Postby spondee » Tue Oct 05, 2010 3:52 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Kirkland NY is very very dangerous.

How so?

Anonymous Abuser

Postby Anonymous Abuser » Tue Oct 05, 2010 3:53 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
NYAssociate wrote:"Quality of life" in this economy is "having a job." You'll work hard at any of these places. But take K&E for the job security and quality of work and practice.

Kirkland's overrated, not sure why you cheer for them in every thread you post on, Kirkland NY is very very dangerous.
Kirkland DC is good, but not nearly as good as some other DC options.
For these three? Yes, Kirk DC

Yeah, I'm curious to hear this as well.

vamedic03

Postby vamedic03 » Tue Oct 05, 2010 4:04 pm

BruceWayne wrote:
bluefish wrote:

Isn't Covington focused on regulatory and life science work? While Jenner is focused on appellate. If you don't want to work in those areas how are they any better?

Covington is full service - yes, it has strong regulatory and life science practices, but, it also has strong: insurance (policy holder), litigation, sports, etc, etc.

BruceWayne

Postby BruceWayne » Tue Oct 05, 2010 5:51 pm

vamedic03 wrote:
BruceWayne wrote:
bluefish wrote:

Covington is full service - yes, it has strong regulatory and life science practices, but, it also has strong: insurance (policy holder), litigation, sports, etc, etc.

So you're saying that even in general litigation they're better than Kirkland DC?

rayiner

Postby rayiner » Tue Oct 05, 2010 5:57 pm

Kirkland DC is great, though behind W&C, Covington, Wilmer, A&P, etc.

I'm also curious to see where people are getting the idea that Kirkland NY is dangerous. Kirkland's stats are as solid as any other firm ITE that isn't called W&C or Wachtell.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Oct 05, 2010 7:22 pm

OP here. I was really hoping someone would say Goodwin. My boyfriend is in Boston :/

vamedic03

Postby vamedic03 » Tue Oct 05, 2010 7:53 pm

BruceWayne wrote:
vamedic03 wrote:
BruceWayne wrote:
bluefish wrote:nope, covington, jenner, etc. >>> kirk DC

So you're saying that even in general litigation they're better than Kirkland DC?

If you're 100% sure that you want to do general commercial lit, and Kirkland DC is a good fit for you, then it would be perfectly reasonable for you to pick it over Covington DC. But, overall, most would probably argue that Covington DC is at least equal or stronger than Kirkland DC.

Both are great offices however, and someone couldn't go wrong picking between those two.

It's also worth mentioning that when looking at firms, you look at peer groups, not a straight up ranking. e.g. in NYC - S&C, DPW, CSM are peer firms; in DC, Covington, WilmerHale, etc. are peer firms.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Oct 05, 2010 8:10 pm

vamedic03 wrote:It's also worth mentioning that when looking at firms, you look at peer groups, not a straight up ranking. e.g. in NYC - S&C, DPW, CSM are peer firms; in DC, Covington, WilmerHale, etc. are peer firms.

Who are the DC peer firms besides covington and wilmer? I'm still shaky on how this market is viewed?

Pablo Ramirez

Postby Pablo Ramirez » Tue Oct 05, 2010 8:30 pm

vamedic03 wrote:. . . when looking at firms, you look at peer groups, not a straight up ranking. e.g. in NYC - S&C, DPW, CSM are peer firms . . . .

S&C and CSM are peer firms.

DPW's peer firms are Simpson and Cleary.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Oct 05, 2010 10:05 pm

If you are in a long-term serious relationship, it is important to weigh that as well. It is also important to weigh where you want to live long term. I know I am happy that I weighed it.

You're choosing between great firms - not between shit law and a great opportunity. You should feel okay about choosing Goodwin if it's a relationship that truly makes you happy and has been going on for a long time. Do not choose Goodwin just for your boyfriend and DEFINITELY don't weigh the relationship all that much if you have been dating this person for a year or so.

I just encourage you to weigh everything, not just the rank of a firm. It's okay to do this (regardless of the prestige whoring of our profession). You're going to be working with very talented attorneys regardless of your choice.

vamedic03

Postby vamedic03 » Tue Oct 05, 2010 10:31 pm

Anonymous User wrote:If you are in a long-term serious relationship, it is important to weigh that as well. It is also important to weigh where you want to live long term. I know I am happy that I weighed it.

You're choosing between great firms - not between shit law and a great opportunity. You should feel okay about choosing Goodwin if it's a relationship that truly makes you happy and has been going on for a long time. Do not choose Goodwin just for your boyfriend and DEFINITELY don't weigh the relationship all that much if you have been dating this person for a year or so.

I just encourage you to weigh everything, not just the rank of a firm. It's okay to do this (regardless of the prestige whoring of our profession). You're going to be working with very talented attorneys regardless of your choice.

TCR

phoenixsoars

Postby phoenixsoars » Wed Oct 06, 2010 9:35 am

Last edited by phoenixsoars on Wed Jul 04, 2012 8:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.

rayiner

Postby rayiner » Wed Oct 06, 2010 11:07 am

Pablo Ramirez wrote:
vamedic03 wrote:. . . when looking at firms, you look at peer groups, not a straight up ranking. e.g. in NYC - S&C, DPW, CSM are peer firms . . . .

Unjustifiable S&C trolling.

Pablo Ramirez

Postby Pablo Ramirez » Wed Oct 06, 2010 1:55 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Pablo Ramirez wrote:

Unjustifiable S&C trolling.

Actually, you're right.

CSM is peerless.

DPW's peer firms are Simpson and S&C.

Cleary is a Turd Tulip Toilet.

Return to “Legal Employment”