Why Firm X? Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Why Firm X?

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Oct 03, 2010 11:41 pm

I'm sure someone has already done a thread on this, but what are credible answers to the "Why firm X?" question? I've never been able to find enough information to get past cliched reasons like "collegial work environment" or practice areas or location, and I feel like that doesn't cut it. I have a callback soon with a smallish New England firm, and their website says nothing truly distinguishing on it. What kinds of things do other people say?

General Tso

Gold

Re: Why Firm X?

Post by General Tso » Sun Oct 03, 2010 11:44 pm

Did your screening interviewer give you his/her email address and offer to answer any future questions? Now might be a good time to take them up on their offer...

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Oct 03, 2010 11:45 pm

General Tso wrote:Did your screening interviewer give you his/her email address and offer to answer any future questions? Now might be a good time to take them up on their offer...
No screening interview - got it directly from mailing.

dood

Gold

Post by dood » Sun Oct 03, 2010 11:49 pm

Last edited by dood on Sun Oct 24, 2010 4:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Oct 03, 2010 11:52 pm

dood wrote:cliched reasons like "collegial work environment" or practice areas or location DO cut it, in my experience. But make sure to sound super fricking enthusiastic and sincere about it. half the time i dont think it even matters what u say, just u say it with a big fucking grin while looking your interviewer dead in the eye and slightly nodding.
That works for me.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Oct 04, 2010 6:28 pm

I agree with above poster about practice areas and clients. I also always talked about the size of the firm (big firm = many opportunities, small firm generally = close-knit groups and more substantive work). The why X question was a way for me to show that I researched the firm. Then you can always spin it by asking them back why they chose the firm.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”