Top Plaintiffs' Firms? Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
sublime

Diamond

Re: Top Plaintiffs' Firms?

Post by sublime » Wed Apr 16, 2014 12:27 am

rad lulz

Platinum

Post by rad lulz » Wed Apr 16, 2014 12:31 am

sublime wrote:
rad lulz wrote:Morgan and Morgan

For the People
:lol:

Do people know about him outside of (central) Florida?

I wonder how much that motherfucker makes in a year.
They're starting to move out of central FL

Actually have some dece business-oriented litigators

Dude is rollin in it

This is a link to a rap made by Morgan's son Dan aka Dmoswag http://blogs.orlandoweekly.com/bloggyto ... ong-yknow/

"Blew all my stacks tryna keep up with Dmoswag"

appealthis

New

Post by appealthis » Sun Jun 21, 2015 11:31 am

Can anyone provide info on Faruqi? Looking for salary, culture, reputation, associate turnover (including where they go) and anything else that might be useful to a young associate considering the NY office.

beach_terror

Platinum

Post by beach_terror » Sun Jun 21, 2015 11:56 am

I've heard a lot about Faruqi, and it's mostly bad. I met with one of the senior partners there before going to my current firm, and he hated it there and left shortly after. I think that sexual harassment lawsuit is still ongoing too - which was out of the NY office I believe. If you're looking to get into securities, there are much better firms out there I would try before settling on Faruqi. On a related note, the securities practice is drying up outside a few of the big firms who have a bunch of the bigger pension funds retained. Probably something worth mulling over.

Their reputation in the class community is they file anything and everything.

reasonable_man

Gold

Post by reasonable_man » Sun Jul 05, 2015 3:44 am

appealthis wrote:Can anyone provide info on Faruqi? Looking for salary, culture, reputation, associate turnover (including where they go) and anything else that might be useful to a young associate considering the NY office.
You have to be trolling? Right? You're seriously asking about the "culture" and "reputation" of a firm that took a verdict for sexual harassment in the last 6 months? I'd say that this would be an important factor to consider for a "young associate considering the NY office." See, http://abovethelaw.com/2015/02/alexandr ... s-counsel/

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

lavarman84

Platinum

Post by lavarman84 » Sun Jul 05, 2015 6:24 am

If I didn't want to do to sports law, I'd definitely be going into plaintiff's personal injury work. I think it's the most interesting area of the law and I'd love to be able to go to trial.(even though cases rarely go to trial) The chance to compete with another lawyer face to face would be really refreshing.

MGH1989

Bronze

Post by MGH1989 » Mon Aug 08, 2016 10:54 am

Do smaller plaintiffs firms take on SA's? And do I just email blast them, or at least the ones w/ alumni from my school until I get a hit?

beach_terror

Platinum

Post by beach_terror » Mon Aug 08, 2016 10:56 am

MGH1989 wrote:Do smaller plaintiffs firms take on SA's? And do I just email blast them, or at least the ones w/ alumni from my school until I get a hit?
Need to use some common sense here - it'll depend on the firm, the definition of "smaller" etc. You should reach out to the alumni directly and see if they have time to grab a coffee.

MGH1989

Bronze

Post by MGH1989 » Mon Aug 08, 2016 11:15 am

beach_terror wrote:
MGH1989 wrote:Do smaller plaintiffs firms take on SA's? And do I just email blast them, or at least the ones w/ alumni from my school until I get a hit?
Need to use some common sense here - it'll depend on the firm, the definition of "smaller" etc. You should reach out to the alumni directly and see if they have time to grab a coffee.
So informational interviews to parlay into something more hopefully? By smaller I mean prob like 2-6. You mind if I PM u w/a question so I don't out myself?

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

beach_terror

Platinum

Post by beach_terror » Mon Aug 08, 2016 11:26 am

Yeah pretty much and sure.

penn19

New

Post by penn19 » Mon Aug 08, 2016 11:36 am

tag. <3

reasonable_man

Gold

Post by reasonable_man » Tue Aug 09, 2016 1:17 pm

At a firm of 2-6, there will not be a formal SA program. However, they very well might hire law clerks. At that size, the process is likely to be pretty informal.

I'd recommend targeting a bit larger, along with 2 to 6. Plaintiffs firms of the slightly larger variety are still not likely to have a formal SA program. However, they are more likely to be in a position to make a full time offer to you after you graduate than the smaller firms. I'd be looking at firms in the range of 10 to 30 if I were you. Also note that it is obviously possible to get an offer from a firm of 2 to 6 lawyers, its just that hiring for a firm of that size requires a lot more factors to line up in your favor, including things beyond your control, like work-flow and finances of the firm.

MGH1989

Bronze

Post by MGH1989 » Thu Aug 11, 2016 11:32 am

reasonable_man wrote:At a firm of 2-6, there will not be a formal SA program. However, they very well might hire law clerks. At that size, the process is likely to be pretty informal.

I'd recommend targeting a bit larger, along with 2 to 6. Plaintiffs firms of the slightly larger variety are still not likely to have a formal SA program. However, they are more likely to be in a position to make a full time offer to you after you graduate than the smaller firms. I'd be looking at firms in the range of 10 to 30 if I were you. Also note that it is obviously possible to get an offer from a firm of 2 to 6 lawyers, its just that hiring for a firm of that size requires a lot more factors to line up in your favor, including things beyond your control, like work-flow and finances of the firm.
I had an interview w/ one of the biggest Plaintiffs firms in the country, hoping I get a call back, but we shall see. Other than the one I interviewed w/ there are no nationally renowned plaintiffs firms in my area and where I want to live and practice. Seems like all the larger plaintiffs firms in my area are the face on the side of the bus type. You think it would be worth it to summer w/ a smaller firm for the experience knowing an offer is highly dependent on the firms finances and needs?

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

beach_terror

Platinum

Post by beach_terror » Thu Aug 11, 2016 11:37 am

MGH1989 wrote:
reasonable_man wrote:At a firm of 2-6, there will not be a formal SA program. However, they very well might hire law clerks. At that size, the process is likely to be pretty informal.

I had an interview w/ one of the biggest Plaintiffs firms in the country, hoping I get a call back, but we shall see. Other than the one I interviewed w/ there are no nationally renowned plaintiffs firms in my area and where I want to live and practice. Seems like all the larger plaintiffs firms in my area are the face on the side of the bus type. You think it would be worth it to summer w/ a smaller firm for the experience knowing an offer is highly dependent on the firms finances and needs?
Try to work at a firm(s) during the year too. That's how I got my offer at my first firm. The p community is pretty small especially within certain practices (class, mass tort, etc.) so an introduction/recommendation can go very far even if you're in a different state or different part of the country from where you want to end up.

MGH1989

Bronze

Post by MGH1989 » Thu Aug 11, 2016 2:02 pm

beach_terror wrote:
MGH1989 wrote:

Try to work at a firm(s) during the year too. That's how I got my offer at my first firm. The p community is pretty small especially within certain practices (class, mass tort, etc.) so an introduction/recommendation can go very far even if you're in a different state or different part of the country from where you want to end up.
How did you get your school year internship? Just email blasting firms with your schools alumni asking if they could use an intern?

Hand

Gold

Post by Hand » Thu Aug 11, 2016 2:05 pm

Anyone willing and able to tell me what the top plaintiff side firms in DC are that take SAs? I know that Relman Dane and Cohen Milstein exist but beyond that I'm in the dark.

Good Guy Gaud

Platinum

Post by Good Guy Gaud » Thu Aug 11, 2016 2:06 pm

beach_terror wrote:
MGH1989 wrote:

+1 to all of this.

I mass mailed like a fiend and met basically every p side attorney where I went to school, scooped a recommendation and the firm I was clerking at offered me

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

beach_terror

Platinum

Post by beach_terror » Thu Aug 11, 2016 2:16 pm

MGH1989 wrote:
beach_terror wrote:
MGH1989 wrote:

How did you get your school year internship? Just email blasting firms with your schools alumni asking if they could use an intern?
They posted on our job website looking for one. I converted that to a full-time offer after about 5 months there. I was a law clerk at a defense firm during the same period but liked the plaintiff side a lot better. Prior to that I had email blasted/met with local alumni in my desired field and went to a bunch of informational interview/lunch type things.

reasonable_man

Gold

Post by reasonable_man » Sun Aug 21, 2016 12:57 am

I usually find myself sitting furthest from the jury box, but I'm pretty friendly with some of the "elite" plaintiff attorneys in my city. I made my way into my firm by working during the school year - and had an offer before I graduated. From what I gather, this is a good way to work yourself in on the plaintiff side as well. Also keep in mind that people switch. I've met quite a few plaintiff attorneys that began their career on the defense side. Its more common than you think. The bars are also more friendly than you'd imagine generally and good experience at a well respect firm opens doors on either side of the v as your career progresses.

iteachtenthgrade

Bronze

Post by iteachtenthgrade » Sun Aug 21, 2016 1:38 pm

ToTransferOrNot wrote:
Holly Golightly wrote:
chup wrote:
Holly Golightly wrote:
NYAssociate wrote:You can add Boies and Quinn to that list.

Frankly, it's not necessarily true that these "elite" plaintiffs firms actually get more interesting work. Your vanilla securities class action plaintiffs attorneys are nothing more than glorified ambulance chasers hoping for massive corporations to give them big payouts just to go away.
Wow.
:?:
As someone who has worked for a plaintiffs' firm, I find the assertion that class action attorneys are "glorified ambulance chasers hoping for massive corporations to give them big payouts just to go away" ignorant and insulting. Everyone I worked with was dedicated and really believed in what they were doing. We didn't file bullshit cases.

Oh, and you know what? The cases WERE pretty damn interesting. I know a whole lot about things like pet food, drug pricing, funerals, how websites try to screw you over, and I once got to go to a music industry conference.
This is fine, but a huge chunk of consumer class-action work is total strike suit crap. The PSLRA was enacted for a reason. Corporate derivative cases are entirely lawyer-driven, are generally nothing but a drain on company resources (i.e., the value the shareholders lose due to the litigation almost always surpasses whatever recovery the shareholders receive), and basically do nothing but spawn another reason to purchase insurance. Some of the class actions going on against banks right now are just ridiculous (see: In re Overdraft Fee Litigation, a MASSIVE MDL going on in Florida atm, and In re HELOC loan litigation).

Now, no doubt, some of the mass tort class action stuff has been quite important (the asbestos litigation, for example). But don't try to make it out as if plaintiff firms are hot stuff.
+1... Some PCs do great and admirable work (Altschuler Berzon and the like), but the ones that don't basically sully our profession. I love when they take a super moral high ground about it while they're sullying, too!

MGH1989

Bronze

Post by MGH1989 » Tue Aug 23, 2016 1:58 pm

reasonable_man wrote:I usually find myself sitting furthest from the jury box, but I'm pretty friendly with some of the "elite" plaintiff attorneys in my city. I made my way into my firm by working during the school year - and had an offer before I graduated. From what I gather, this is a good way to work yourself in on the plaintiff side as well. Also keep in mind that people switch. I've met quite a few plaintiff attorneys that began their career on the defense side. Its more common than you think. The bars are also more friendly than you'd imagine generally and good experience at a well respect firm opens doors on either side of the v as your career progresses.
How did u get the school gig?

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

reasonable_man

Gold

Post by reasonable_man » Wed Aug 24, 2016 2:55 pm

MGH1989 wrote:
reasonable_man wrote:I usually find myself sitting furthest from the jury box, but I'm pretty friendly with some of the "elite" plaintiff attorneys in my city. I made my way into my firm by working during the school year - and had an offer before I graduated. From what I gather, this is a good way to work yourself in on the plaintiff side as well. Also keep in mind that people switch. I've met quite a few plaintiff attorneys that began their career on the defense side. Its more common than you think. The bars are also more friendly than you'd imagine generally and good experience at a well respect firm opens doors on either side of the v as your career progresses.
How did u get the school gig?

We're going back 10 to 15 years here. In college I worked at a fairly prestigious mid law type firm and gained some actual real experience. Flash forward to law school and my second semester first year I took a job working in the afternoon for a solo near my law school and also picked up some really solid experience doing that. Both of those jobs came through job postings at my college and law school respectively.

The firm that hired me during my 1L summer (I continued working for them throughout law school) was a regional mid sized insurance defense firm. They liked that I had a lot of experience and worked a lot during school (blue collar mentality). I Stayed on for a year or two after law school and learned the nuts and bolts of litigation and then made a few well timed jumps over the years and ultimately wound up at a national mid law. A lot of hard work but a lot of luck too - for sure.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Oct 25, 2016 8:08 am

Can anyone here shed some light on what summer associates get paid at top plaintiffs' firms in DC (Cohen Milstein, Sanford Heisler, Relman Dane, etc.)?

And while we're on the subject, can anyone comment on how spending your 2L summer at such a firm would compare to working at a prestigious non-profit (e.g. LDF, ACLU) or in government (DOJ, EEOC) for resume purposes for someone looking to get a public interest job in DC after graduation?

Thelaw23

Silver

Post by Thelaw23 » Tue Oct 25, 2016 10:04 am

Can someone explain to me what a plaintiff firm is?

I understand that huge corporations can be plaintiffs in cases too, no? So what exactly is it?

RaceJudicata

Gold

Post by RaceJudicata » Tue Oct 25, 2016 11:17 am

Thelaw23 wrote:Can someone explain to me what a plaintiff firm is?

I understand that huge corporations can be plaintiffs in cases too, no? So what exactly is it?
The firms discussed ITT (as opposed to PI type firms), handle class actions and mass tort claims. For example, these are the firms that represent the plaintiffs in cases like Wal-Mart v Dukes, In re Volkswagen Diesel, Deepwater Horizon, etc.

These firms do not--in most, if not all cases--represent Company A suing Company B for a breach of contract or patent infringement, etc.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”