Getting married during the 2L summer job: possible? Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
thefinalcut

New

Getting married during the 2L summer job: possible?

Post by thefinalcut » Sat Oct 02, 2010 6:30 pm

So, we are considering getting married during the 2L summer. Due to scheduling constraints I might have to get married during one of the weekends after I start the summer internship at a law firm. Is this frowned upon? It would be stressful but my partner probably will take care of most of the wedding planning. I would definitely be not available for a whole weekend and I might need to take a Friday off. Would taking a day off be a problem? If it is frowned upon maybe we will postpone the wedding or something. Just looking for any thoughts. Thanks.

War Cardinal

New

Re: Getting married during the 2L summer job: possible?

Post by War Cardinal » Sat Oct 02, 2010 6:38 pm

thefinalcut wrote:So, we are considering getting married during the 2L summer. Due to scheduling constraints I might have to get married during one of the weekends after I start the summer internship at a law firm. Is this frowned upon? It would be stressful but my partner probably will take care of most of the wedding planning. I would definitely be not available for a whole weekend and I might need to take a Friday off. Would taking a day off be a problem? If it is frowned upon maybe we will postpone the wedding or something. Just looking for any thoughts. Thanks.
If everything is set, go ahead with it and enjoy it as much as possible. If you have yet to reserve a church/temple/reception/whatever, try to postpone it. I imagine it would be unnecessarily stressful to get married while being a summer. I would suggest getting married during the school year instead. You should try to enjoy your wedding as much as possible . . . and I imagine your significant other would want to spend as much time with you as possible during the days leading to/after your big day.

In any event, good luck and congratulations in advance!

pehaigllleises

Bronze

Post by pehaigllleises » Sat Oct 02, 2010 7:12 pm

I got married during OCI. You should really be fine. I interviewed up until the rehearsal (got changed in the bathroom and ran!). We were pretty heavily DIY--we did our own flowers and didn't have a day of coordinator, so I was very busy. Do as much ahead of time as possible--leave only those things to the last second that you really, really, really must. If you plan ahead you can easily make it work.

People will be REALLY accommodating of you needing a day off to prepare for your own wedding. They will probably just marvel that you ONLY need a day.

underdawg

Silver

Post by underdawg » Sat Oct 02, 2010 8:09 pm

how is oci analogous? no one else gets mad at you for screwing something up.

that said, i think it should be completely fine. partners will pretend to care about it, and i think a bunch of SA programs have a day off built in. at least if it's a 100% offers type place. if it's a bloodbath place, get married some other time d00d.

but 3L year does seem like the best time. offer in hand, you could take a whole fucking week off and be fine
Last edited by underdawg on Sun Jan 28, 2018 11:53 am, edited 1 time in total.

pehaigllleises

Bronze

Post by pehaigllleises » Sat Oct 02, 2010 8:22 pm

...because it's a really busy time in the life of a law student that is also very important to not screw up? So what if there's no one to get mad at you. Getting a job in the first place is just as important as keeping it.

tome

Bronze

Post by tome » Sat Oct 02, 2010 9:59 pm

Do it during the Fall semester of 3L. doing it during your job is stupid and shows poor judgment.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”