Does it matter when you accept the offer? Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Does it matter when you accept the offer?

Post by Anonymous User » Sat Oct 02, 2010 4:16 pm

If I an accept an offer 2 weeks after I receive it, is that okay? I ask because firms have contacted me a lot post-offer, really pushing for an answer...although NALP says we have 28 days, is it alright if we take that much time? Or 2 weeks?

Anonymous User

Re: Does it matter when you accept the offer?

Post by Anonymous User » Sat Oct 02, 2010 5:34 pm

you have 28 days. they're not going to rescind.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sat Oct 02, 2010 6:40 pm

Enthusiasm matters to firms. If you really need to the time decide or wait for top choices to get back to you, then do what you need to do.

Firms do notice enthusiasm, and answering sooner rather than later shows it. They certainly won't rescind, but enthusiasm can go a long way when most SAs are interchangeable.

Aqualibrium

Gold

Post by Aqualibrium » Sat Oct 02, 2010 6:42 pm

WRONG. They can rescind. Is it likely? Perhaps not. Fact is though, there is nothing NALP or anyone else can do to make a firm follow these "guidelines."

MTU

New

Post by MTU » Sat Oct 02, 2010 7:10 pm

Aqualibrium wrote:
WRONG. They can rescind. Is it likely? Perhaps not. Fact is though, there is nothing NALP or anyone else can do to make a firm follow these "guidelines."
Furthermore, they can rescind even after you've accepted.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

profs<3mycomments

New

Post by profs<3mycomments » Sat Oct 02, 2010 7:21 pm

Aqualibrium wrote:
If he meant to say what you are acting like he said, he would have written "They can't rescind." He was clearly talking about the likelihood of them actually doing it. Also, what's with "WRONG"? What a snotty and belligerant way to make a stupid and largely irrelevant point.

War Cardinal

New

Post by War Cardinal » Sat Oct 02, 2010 7:23 pm

profs<3mycomments wrote:
Aqualibrium wrote:
If he meant to say what you are acting like he said, he would have written "They can't rescind." He was clearly talking about the likelihood of them actually doing it. Also, what's with "WRONG"? What a snotty and belligerant way to make a stupid and largely irrelevant point.
You should've just responded with "WRONG"

IzziesGal

Silver

Post by IzziesGal » Sat Oct 02, 2010 7:31 pm

I agree with enthusiasm going a long way. I also think that if you're genuinely unsure and need second looks at firms, then you should do that. The firms are just putting the pressure on you in the same way we used to bombard schools with updated resumes, letters of rec, etc. It just means you're someone they want to put into their class. Don't read into it that they might possibly rescind your offer. They just want you there - feel flattered.

Bottom line: unless there's a firm you are genuinely excited about and know you want, take your time. If you have a firm like this, accept as soon as possible to show them your excitement about their firm. It might help in the future re: layoffs, promotions, working with certain partners, etc. But who knows.

Aqualibrium

Gold

Post by Aqualibrium » Sat Oct 02, 2010 7:37 pm

profs<3mycomments wrote:
Aqualibrium wrote:
The point is neither stupid nor irrelevant. Fact is, the NALP "guidelines" really mean absolutely nothing. From what I understood, the poster I quoted meant to imply that OP and others are somehow sheilded by a rule promulgated by an organization many wrongly perceive to be a governing body with some power to police parts of the legal industry. My post simply pointed out that these "rules" are merely helpful suggestions that allow for some uniformity and procedure in the legal hiring process; neither the nalp nor school have much power to actually enforce these "rules." A firm can and will rescind an offer if needed. Likewise, a firm can and will pressure a candidate to accept an offer prior to the 28 day period if needed.

The poster can come back and clarify his or her post if they'd like, but again, from where I'm standing, he or she was in fact WRONG.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

profs<3mycomments

New

Post by profs<3mycomments » Sat Oct 02, 2010 7:46 pm

Aqualibrium wrote:
profs<3mycomments wrote:
Aqualibrium wrote:
The point is neither stupid nor irrelevant. Fact is, the NALP "guidelines" really mean absolutely nothing. From what I understood, the poster I quoted meant to imply that OP and others are somehow sheilded by a rule promulgated by an organization many wrongly perceive to be a governing body with some power to police parts of the legal industry. My post simply pointed out that these "rules" are merely helpful suggestions that allow for some uniformity and procedure in the legal hiring process; neither the nalp nor school have much power to actually enforce these "rules." A firm can and will rescind an offer if needed. Likewise, a firm can and will pressure a candidate to accept an offer prior to the 28 day period if needed.

The poster can come back and clarify his or her post if they'd like, but again, from where I'm standing, he or she was in fact WRONG.
But don't you think I'm right about the "can't" vs. "aren't going to" distinction?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sat Oct 02, 2010 7:57 pm

I am facing this, too. I just did a callback yesterday with my top choice, and have 2 other firms hounding me like no tomorrow. I feel back stringing them along, but at the same time, I need to look out for what I want.

underdawg

Silver

Post by underdawg » Sat Oct 02, 2010 8:01 pm

IzziesGal wrote:I agree with enthusiasm going a long way. I also think that if you're genuinely unsure and need second looks at firms, then you should do that. The firms are just putting the pressure on you in the same way we used to bombard schools with updated resumes, letters of rec, etc. It just means you're someone they want to put into their class. Don't read into it that they might possibly rescind your offer. They just want you there - feel flattered.

Bottom line: unless there's a firm you are genuinely excited about and know you want, take your time. If you have a firm like this, accept as soon as possible to show them your excitement about their firm. It might help in the future re: layoffs, promotions, working with certain partners, etc. But who knows.
except the power is the other way now. they probably won't rescind, but random people might think you're an asshole and that never helps. some people are really rah-rah-rah about their firm and don't understand when other people aren't like that too. someone's obviously got to be the last to accept an offer, but never helps to be the least enthusiastic. forget classes, you should get this resolved pretty quickly (take some quick second looks at firms, talk to people, etc.)
Last edited by underdawg on Sun Jan 28, 2018 12:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Aqualibrium

Gold

Post by Aqualibrium » Sat Oct 02, 2010 8:26 pm

profs<3mycomments wrote:
But don't you think I'm right about the "can't" vs. "aren't going to" distinction?
Yeah, I can agree that there is certainly a distinction between can't and aren't. I think we just read the post differently.

For me, the mention of the 28 day period implied some sense that the poster felt it was absolute, thus aren't is essentially can't because there is this sense that some entity is strong arming the firm into abiding by the guideline.

You gave less, possibly no, weight to the mention of the NALP rule. From that angle I can certainly see how the post would be interpreted as referencing the likelihood of the event.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sat Oct 02, 2010 8:52 pm

IzziesGal wrote:
no way firms remember or keep track who accepts when. i find it hilarious that pple think 8 months after you start working hr will tell a partner "no way man i don't care if you dont like him, this guy accepted 5 days after we gave him the offer. lay off someone else"

think of it this way. if you accept on the 27th day, then they'll be thrilled you chose them after all. if you say no on the 27th day, then screw them, you likely won't see them ever again anyways.

Aqualibrium

Gold

Post by Aqualibrium » Sat Oct 02, 2010 8:58 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
IzziesGal wrote:
no way firms remember or keep track who accepts when. i find it hilarious that pple think 8 months after you start working hr will tell a partner "no way man i don't care if you dont like him, this guy accepted 5 days after we gave him the offer. lay off someone else"

think of it this way. if you accept on the 27th day, then they'll be thrilled you chose them after all. if you say no on the 27th day, then screw them, you likely won't see them ever again anyways.

May not matter for an SA position, but I know 2 people who accepted their associate offer very late, and years later it was still something that colleagues ribbed them about. Now I don't think that necessarily means those people were adversely affected; it simply shows that at least some people do in fact remember.

Again, I really don't think it matters much for SA positions though.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”