How hard would the Philly mkt be to crack as a 3L?

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

How hard would the Philly mkt be to crack as a 3L?

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Oct 02, 2010 2:13 pm

Here's my situation: was aiming to go back to PA next summer, and only got one Philly biglaw callback at a firm I didn't really like. I took an SA position in another city, and presuming I get an offer, how hard would it be to interview in Philly as a 3L? My spouse has a job that will transfer her/him to the Philly office, but not to the city where I took the SA gig. We both have ties to Philly, as well as to the city where I will be SA-ing. Any thoughts? I am particularly interested in hearing how 2Ls and 3Ls did in Philly this year. Thx!

Anonymous User

Re: How hard would the Philly mkt be to crack as a 3L?

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Oct 02, 2010 3:50 pm

Bump. Anyone interview exclusively in Phila??

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Oct 02, 2010 4:01 pm

Philly is definitely an insular market. A few partners I've met with during recruiting have referred to it as "parochial". Hopefully your ties to the area are strong and its best if they are apparent from your resume. But a well crafted cover letter can go a long way. If you get an offer from your SA and despite that are still looking in Philly next year that will also hopefully prove you really want to be here.

I did exclusively Philly and have done pretty well, but I don't have much of a sense of how Philly is doing compared to other markets, or what it will be like in a year. Good luck!

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Oct 02, 2010 5:37 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Philly is definitely an insular market. A few partners I've met with during recruiting have referred to it as "parochial". Hopefully your ties to the area are strong and its best if they are apparent from your resume. But a well crafted cover letter can go a long way. If you get an offer from your SA and despite that are still looking in Philly next year that will also hopefully prove you really want to be here.

I did exclusively Philly and have done pretty well, but I don't have much of a sense of how Philly is doing compared to other markets, or what it will be like in a year. Good luck!

What firms did you interview/CB with, if you don't mind sharing?

KMaine

Postby KMaine » Sat Oct 02, 2010 5:59 pm

You don't know if your spouse is male or female? I know you are trying to keep it annon, but really? In any case, you will just have to wait and see. Seems like you have as good of a chance as anybody in your position (will have 1 year SA experience, hopefully an offer in hand). I would just start contacting Philly firms early in the process.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Oct 02, 2010 6:19 pm

KMaine wrote:You don't know if your spouse is male or female? I know you are trying to keep it annon, but really? In any case, you will just have to wait and see. Seems like you have as good of a chance as anybody in your position (will have 1 year SA experience, hopefully an offer in hand). I would just start contacting Philly firms early in the process.

Haha. I know that was kind of ridiculous, but I've already been outed several times on here when posting anonymously. Just trying to not let that happen with something this sensitive.

How early in the process? I'd want to wait until I have the offer in hand naturally, but I think that comes pretty late in the summer.....

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Oct 02, 2010 7:00 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Philly is definitely an insular market. A few partners I've met with during recruiting have referred to it as "parochial". Hopefully your ties to the area are strong and its best if they are apparent from your resume. But a well crafted cover letter can go a long way. If you get an offer from your SA and despite that are still looking in Philly next year that will also hopefully prove you really want to be here.

I had CBs at several big firms in Philly. I'd prefer not list them all out, but let me know if you have questions about any in particular. Also if you want to out yourself -- unlikely, I know -- I'd be happy to discuss more over pm.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Oct 02, 2010 7:05 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

I had CBs at several big firms in Philly. I'd prefer not list them all out, but let me know if you have questions about any in particular. Also if you want to out yourself -- unlikely, I know -- I'd be happy to discuss more over pm.

Ahh, gotcha. Can you give some basic stats about yourself? Did you feel it was feast or famine for Philly applicants?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Oct 02, 2010 11:08 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

Ahh, gotcha. Can you give some basic stats about yourself? Did you feel it was feast or famine for Philly applicants?

From Philly but its not apparent from my resume. At Penn, good but not stellar grades. Solid work experience. Good interviewer. I've kind of gotten the sense that most of OCI -- not just in Philly -- has been feast or famine. But its not something that is very openly discussed, so who really knows.

Return to “Legal Employment”