Paul Weiss vs. Quinn vs. Cleary vs. Steptoe vs. DPW (NY)

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.

Which firm should I choose if I am interested in litigation?

Paul Weiss
11
31%
Steptoe & Johnson (DC)
2
6%
Cleary (NY)
4
11%
Quinn Emanuel (NY)
10
29%
DPW (NY)
8
23%
 
Total votes: 35

rooster
Posts: 19
Joined: Sat Aug 28, 2010 9:34 am

Paul Weiss vs. Quinn vs. Cleary vs. Steptoe vs. DPW (NY)

Postby rooster » Sat Oct 02, 2010 11:03 am

I'm interested in litigation. Help me choose.

NYAssociate
Posts: 713
Joined: Wed Jun 09, 2010 8:15 pm

Re: Paul Weiss vs. Quinn vs. Cleary vs. Steptoe vs. DPW (NY)

Postby NYAssociate » Sat Oct 02, 2010 11:11 am

.
Last edited by NYAssociate on Tue Oct 05, 2010 9:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.

rooster
Posts: 19
Joined: Sat Aug 28, 2010 9:34 am

Re: Paul Weiss vs. Quinn vs. Cleary vs. Steptoe vs. DPW (NY)

Postby rooster » Sat Oct 02, 2010 11:13 am

NYAssociate wrote:This should be between Paul Weiss and DPW. Toss the rest.


Why not Quinn?

markymark
Posts: 220
Joined: Fri Jul 18, 2008 11:54 am

Re: Paul Weiss vs. Quinn vs. Cleary vs. Steptoe vs. DPW (NY)

Postby markymark » Sat Oct 02, 2010 11:13 am

NYAssociate wrote:This should be between Paul Weiss and DPW. Toss the rest.



Right, as usual.

NYAssociate
Posts: 713
Joined: Wed Jun 09, 2010 8:15 pm

Re: Paul Weiss vs. Quinn vs. Cleary vs. Steptoe vs. DPW (NY)

Postby NYAssociate » Sat Oct 02, 2010 11:22 am

.
Last edited by NYAssociate on Tue Oct 05, 2010 9:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273139
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Paul Weiss vs. Quinn vs. Cleary vs. Steptoe vs. DPW (NY)

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Oct 02, 2010 11:27 am

Steptoe DC seems random. Were you targeting both markets? If you got DPW, did you not get other DC offers?

rooster
Posts: 19
Joined: Sat Aug 28, 2010 9:34 am

Re: Paul Weiss vs. Quinn vs. Cleary vs. Steptoe vs. DPW (NY)

Postby rooster » Sat Oct 02, 2010 11:33 am

Anonymous User wrote:Steptoe DC seems random. Were you targeting both markets? If you got DPW, did you not get other DC offers?


I was targeting both markets. DC was unbelievably difficult, particularly for me, since I have no meaningful ties to the city. My resume is very government-focused--I've actually never worked for a private employer. I think DC firms suspected that I was mainly interested in working in DC because of the possibility of transitioning into government, and therefore regarded me as a flight risk (but this is just speculation). I should note that I have offers from Paul, Weiss NY and DC, though. Their DC office seems like a nice shop with a pleasant, litigation-boutique feel.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273139
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Paul Weiss vs. Quinn vs. Cleary vs. Steptoe vs. DPW (NY)

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Oct 02, 2010 1:37 pm

rooster wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Steptoe DC seems random. Were you targeting both markets? If you got DPW, did you not get other DC offers?


I was targeting both markets. DC was unbelievably difficult, particularly for me, since I have no meaningful ties to the city. My resume is very government-focused--I've actually never worked for a private employer. I think DC firms suspected that I was mainly interested in working in DC because of the possibility of transitioning into government, and therefore regarded me as a flight risk (but this is just speculation). I should note that I have offers from Paul, Weiss NY and DC, though. Their DC office seems like a nice shop with a pleasant, litigation-boutique feel.


It makes sense, then, that Steptoe took you. They've seen a bunch of lawyers leave to do government work only to return to the firm after a couple of years. They're probably not as afraid of you being a flight risk as others are.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273139
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Paul Weiss vs. Quinn vs. Cleary vs. Steptoe vs. DPW (NY)

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Oct 02, 2010 1:42 pm

PW NYC > DPW for Litigation.

rooster
Posts: 19
Joined: Sat Aug 28, 2010 9:34 am

Re: Paul Weiss vs. Quinn vs. Cleary vs. Steptoe vs. DPW (NY)

Postby rooster » Sat Oct 02, 2010 1:51 pm

...
Last edited by rooster on Mon Oct 25, 2010 10:46 am, edited 1 time in total.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273139
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Paul Weiss vs. Quinn vs. Cleary vs. Steptoe vs. DPW (NY)

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Oct 02, 2010 4:17 pm

Toss Steptoe and Cleary.

Paul Weiss has more of a reputation as a hard-charging sweatshop, DPW is "nicer" and more genteel, whatever that means.

I don't think you should toss Quinn totally off the table, but I would only go there over PW or DPW if you REALLY loved their culture and could not imagine going anywhere else.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273139
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Paul Weiss vs. Quinn vs. Cleary vs. Steptoe vs. DPW (NY)

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Oct 02, 2010 5:13 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Toss Steptoe and Cleary.

Paul Weiss has more of a reputation as a hard-charging sweatshop, DPW is "nicer" and more genteel, whatever that means.

I don't think you should toss Quinn totally off the table, but I would only go there over PW or DPW if you REALLY loved their culture and could not imagine going anywhere else.


Why toss Steptoe if he/she's interested in DC? I don't know much about that office, but it seems to be a good DC litigation place, with good regulatory work and government connections.

User avatar
vamedic03
Posts: 1579
Joined: Mon Sep 29, 2008 9:50 am

Re: Paul Weiss vs. Quinn vs. Cleary vs. Steptoe vs. DPW (NY)

Postby vamedic03 » Sat Oct 02, 2010 11:19 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Toss Steptoe and Cleary.

Paul Weiss has more of a reputation as a hard-charging sweatshop, DPW is "nicer" and more genteel, whatever that means.

I don't think you should toss Quinn totally off the table, but I would only go there over PW or DPW if you REALLY loved their culture and could not imagine going anywhere else.


Why toss Steptoe if he/she's interested in DC? I don't know much about that office, but it seems to be a good DC litigation place, with good regulatory work and government connections.


TCR - if you want to be in DC, Steptoe is excellent with a great reputation in the city.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273139
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Paul Weiss vs. Quinn vs. Cleary vs. Steptoe vs. DPW (NY)

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Oct 02, 2010 11:27 pm

vamedic03 wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Toss Steptoe and Cleary.

Paul Weiss has more of a reputation as a hard-charging sweatshop, DPW is "nicer" and more genteel, whatever that means.

I don't think you should toss Quinn totally off the table, but I would only go there over PW or DPW if you REALLY loved their culture and could not imagine going anywhere else.


Why toss Steptoe if he/she's interested in DC? I don't know much about that office, but it seems to be a good DC litigation place, with good regulatory work and government connections.


TCR - if you want to be in DC, Steptoe is excellent with a great reputation in the city.


+1

rooster
Posts: 19
Joined: Sat Aug 28, 2010 9:34 am

Re: Paul Weiss vs. Quinn vs. Cleary vs. Steptoe vs. DPW (NY)

Postby rooster » Sun Oct 03, 2010 12:00 am

...
Last edited by rooster on Mon Oct 25, 2010 10:45 am, edited 2 times in total.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273139
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Paul Weiss vs. Quinn vs. Cleary vs. Steptoe vs. DPW (NY)

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Oct 03, 2010 12:07 am

I interviewed with a firm that is comparable to steptoe and was told that the firm encourages you to work in govt for a few years and then come back. if they encourage this, i imagine that its fairly easy to get. however, i am looking more at regulatory/lobbying, so I am not sure if the lit exit options are the same

User avatar
War Cardinal
Posts: 81
Joined: Sun May 23, 2010 11:24 pm

Re: Paul Weiss vs. Quinn vs. Cleary vs. Steptoe vs. DPW (NY)

Postby War Cardinal » Sun Oct 03, 2010 3:11 am

Anonymous User wrote:I interviewed with a firm that is comparable to steptoe and was told that the firm encourages you to work in govt for a few years and then come back. if they encourage this, i imagine that its fairly easy to get. however, i am looking more at regulatory/lobbying, so I am not sure if the lit exit options are the same


Patton Boggs?

Anonymous User
Posts: 273139
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Paul Weiss vs. Quinn vs. Cleary vs. Steptoe vs. DPW (NY)

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Oct 03, 2010 2:44 pm

rooster wrote:2. How would Stetptoe's exit options, in particular with respect to government, compare with the other firms I list? To be honest, this whole process has really turned me off of biglaw, so one of my main considerations is what firm will best propel me to greener pastures.


I think it's hard to compare exit options. Speaking purely about prestige, DPW and PW will give "better" exit options. For the DC exit options comparable to DPW, you'd need a similarly situated firm--say Covington or Wilmer. But, the exit options are generally different, so it's hard to compare. DPW will be great if you want to go in house or do white collar stuff in NYC. But if you're more interested in regulatory work, white collar in DC, or non-SEC, FTC government, then I think Steptoe or PW DC are better options.

Summary: DPC and PW NY have "better" exit options than Steptoe or PW DC, but they are very different in subject matter.

Disclosure: I had a CB at both DPW NY and Steptoe DC. Got an offer from Steptoe, not DPW, but decided to take a different DC firm.

rooster
Posts: 19
Joined: Sat Aug 28, 2010 9:34 am

Re: Paul Weiss vs. Quinn vs. Cleary vs. Steptoe vs. DPW (NY)

Postby rooster » Sun Oct 03, 2010 2:58 pm

...
Last edited by rooster on Mon Oct 25, 2010 10:44 am, edited 2 times in total.

NYAssociate
Posts: 713
Joined: Wed Jun 09, 2010 8:15 pm

Re: Paul Weiss vs. Quinn vs. Cleary vs. Steptoe vs. DPW (NY)

Postby NYAssociate » Sun Oct 03, 2010 3:34 pm

.




Return to “Legal Employment”

Who is online

The online users are hidden on this forum.