Do you feel weird asking classmates about how OCI is going? Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.

Silver

Re: Do you feel weird asking classmates about how OCI is going?

Post by 12262010 » Sat Oct 02, 2010 1:48 am

Veyron wrote:
OperaSoprano wrote:I only ask if I have heard from another source that the person has something lined up, or at least know he or she had a ton of callbacks. People ask me and I am open about it, but my classmates pretty much know my UG academic background likely precluded me from biglaw. (I finally had a partner tell me that I am not what law firms are looking for. This was outside an interview setting and he knew nothing about my GPA.) So yeah, I would ask carefully. I can laugh about it, but there are definite haves and have nots at my school, and anyone with social graces would not ask this question in a random fashion.
How does ones undergraduate work ever preclude biglaw?
easily... it's hard to spin certain backgrounds into a convincing narrative about your desire to practice biglaw. you'll also ask get asked weird questions that require you to defend your resume and your interest in being a lawyer.

D. H2Oman

Platinum

Post by D. H2Oman » Sat Oct 02, 2010 1:50 am

Damn, should have majored in mindless repetitive tasks.

Veyron

Gold

Post by Veyron » Sat Oct 02, 2010 1:52 am

booyakasha wrote:
Veyron wrote:
OperaSoprano wrote:I only ask if I have heard from another source that the person has something lined up, or at least know he or she had a ton of callbacks. People ask me and I am open about it, but my classmates pretty much know my UG academic background likely precluded me from biglaw. (I finally had a partner tell me that I am not what law firms are looking for. This was outside an interview setting and he knew nothing about my GPA.) So yeah, I would ask carefully. I can laugh about it, but there are definite haves and have nots at my school, and anyone with social graces would not ask this question in a random fashion.
How does ones undergraduate work ever preclude biglaw?
easily... it's hard to spin certain backgrounds into a convincing narrative about your desire to practice biglaw. you'll also ask get asked weird questions that require you to defend your resume and your interest in being a lawyer.
Example of such a background?

OperaSoprano

Gold

Post by OperaSoprano » Sat Oct 02, 2010 1:56 am

booyakasha wrote:
didn't you not want biglaw anyway, prior to LS?
Yeah, I didn't, and I think I still don't, but I figured out what I do want (I'm interning in house at a fashion company) and biglaw would likely help me get there.

To Veyron: I was a fashion merchandising major at FIT. I am basically the only one, so I have no set idea of where I can go from here. It came up a lot during interviews, and I do know it took me out of the running for things, but I enjoyed it and I hope I'll get to use it somehow.

Veyron

Gold

Post by Veyron » Sat Oct 02, 2010 2:13 am

Ah, ok. I had always heard that UG maj didn't matter except in IP.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

OperaSoprano

Gold

Post by OperaSoprano » Sat Oct 02, 2010 2:19 am

Veyron wrote:Ah, ok. I had always heard that UG maj didn't matter except in IP.
It doesn't, unless it does. Meaning that most people will be just fine and it will never come up. (None of my non IP friends were asked about their majors.)

Lem37

Bronze

Post by Lem37 » Sat Oct 02, 2010 10:07 am

If the reason why you're asking them is because they're your friend and you're legitimately interested in their well-being, then there should be no reason not to. Real friends know how to be happy for eachother, period.

If they're not doing so well, they'll either say as much or they won't. Regardless, you won't have to get into specifics about your own situation unless prompted - and again, you hope that they're asking you because they're your legitimately concerned friend as well.

OperaSoprano

Gold

Post by OperaSoprano » Sat Oct 02, 2010 12:58 pm

Lem37 wrote:If the reason why you're asking them is because they're your friend and you're legitimately interested in their well-being, then there should be no reason not to. Real friends know how to be happy for eachother, period.

If they're not doing so well, they'll either say as much or they won't. Regardless, you won't have to get into specifics about your own situation unless prompted - and again, you hope that they're asking you because they're your legitimately concerned friend as well.
Oh, with very close friends, it's a different story. We all just tell one another so there isn't any awkwardness. If in doubt, I let the other person bring it up first. (It also might be a function of where you go to school-- if most of your classmates had or will have multiple offers, this is clearly a safer conversation topic than if not.)

rayiner

Platinum

Post by rayiner » Sat Oct 02, 2010 4:25 pm

With Veyron's personality I'm counting on him to dramatically underperform his stats at OCI.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

vanwinkle

Platinum

Post by vanwinkle » Sat Oct 02, 2010 4:28 pm

OperaSoprano wrote:It also might be a function of where you go to school-- if most of your classmates had or will have multiple offers, this is clearly a safer conversation topic than if not.
This.

Veyron

Gold

Post by Veyron » Sat Oct 02, 2010 5:58 pm

rayiner wrote:With Veyron's personality I'm counting on him to dramatically underperform overperform his stats at OCI.
FTFY

You forget that this is corporate law we're talking about.

dresden doll

Platinum

Post by dresden doll » Sat Oct 02, 2010 6:01 pm

Kohinoor wrote:
Veyron wrote:Incidentally, this is probably how people end up long term unemployed. If you don't have a job, fucking say so, eventually you might run into someone who can hook you up. Being all awkward and hesitant to share isn't doing you an favors because you are missing out on the opportunity to network, and isn't doing me any favors because now I'm missing a data point that I would like to have for my own job search. The only thing that being tight-lipped is going to do is preserve the tiny pink emotions of those who have not matured since junior high. Also, this is probably why so many people have over-estimated the value of going to law school. Sometimes I think law students could use more a MBA-like mentality.
Right. This, of all things, is how people end up long term unemployed. Divulging information to overly inquisitive 2L busy bodies who could barely define a tort is a solid job search strategy.
I love you.

rayiner

Platinum

Post by rayiner » Sat Oct 02, 2010 6:26 pm

Veyron wrote:
rayiner wrote:With Veyron's personality I'm counting on him to dramatically underperform overperform his stats at OCI.
FTFY

LOL @ your thinking that your OCI interviewers will be a different type of people than your classmates.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

dresden doll

Platinum

Post by dresden doll » Sat Oct 02, 2010 6:31 pm

This topic is best avoided with people you don't know well and you should thread carefully either way. I say that as someone that's pretty much been the go-to person to vent to this OCI season.

War Cardinal

New

Post by War Cardinal » Sat Oct 02, 2010 6:34 pm

I don't discuss it with classmates. Period.

Veyron

Gold

Post by Veyron » Sat Oct 02, 2010 8:19 pm

rayiner wrote:
Veyron wrote:
FTFY

LOL @ your thinking that your OCI interviewers will be a different type of people than your classmates.
Nah mang, my classmates are pretty cool doods - I'll try to avoid being interviewed by any wildkitties (though its hard to immagine that any work for a firm worth interviewing with :D).

rayiner

Platinum

Post by rayiner » Sat Oct 02, 2010 8:24 pm

Veyron wrote:
rayiner wrote:
Veyron wrote:
FTFY

Nah mang, my classmates are pretty cool doods - I'll try to avoid being interviewed by any wildkitties (though its hard to immagine that any work for a firm worth interviewing with :D).
Penn students, like most law students, are passive aggressive slightly submissive type A's. Definitely not the MBA types you were talking about. Your arrogance/aggressiveness will not be interpreted positively.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Veyron

Gold

Post by Veyron » Sat Oct 02, 2010 8:40 pm

Penn students, like most law students, are passive aggressive slightly submissive type A's. Definitely not the MBA types you were talking about. Your arrogance/aggressiveness will not be interpreted positively.
In other words type Bs? Some are, I guess, but many are self confident enough not to be put off by arrogance and agression. I think the difference between here and other places is that people who are aggressive don't behave meanly. At least in my section even the gunners are fairly well liked. Its definately not like other places (cough cough, UVA, Northwestern - see ATL) where people act all passive and nice but are secretly trying to destroy other peoples' careers. Perhaps thats why I can get away whith being the way I am here, people are chill enough not to get offended by every little thing because they know that no one ever intends any animosity.

darkarmour

Bronze

Post by darkarmour » Sat Oct 02, 2010 8:51 pm

WHAT'S GOING ON IN THIS THREAD?

rayiner

Platinum

Post by rayiner » Sat Oct 02, 2010 8:55 pm

Veyron wrote:

In other words type Bs? Some are, I guess, but many are self confident enough not to be put off by arrogance and agression. I think the difference between here and other places is that people who are aggressive don't behave meanly. At least in my section even the gunners are fairly well liked. Its definately not like other places (cough cough, UVA, Northwestern - see ATL) where people act all passive and nice but are secretly trying to destroy other peoples' careers. Perhaps thats why I can get away whith being the way I am here, people are chill enough not to get offended by every little thing because they know that no one ever intends any animosity.
Enjoy Cadwalader.

Veyron

Gold

Post by Veyron » Sat Oct 02, 2010 9:09 pm

rayiner wrote:
Veyron wrote:

Enjoy Cadwalader.

ENJOY dla piper!

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

darkarmour

Bronze

Post by darkarmour » Sat Oct 02, 2010 9:17 pm

veyron you seem like a pretty cool guy, you speak your mind and doesn't afraid of anything.

maybe we are friends IRL? what journal are you on?

Veyron

Gold

Post by Veyron » Sat Oct 02, 2010 9:27 pm

-

War Cardinal

New

Post by War Cardinal » Sat Oct 02, 2010 9:37 pm

darkarmour wrote:veyron you seem like a pretty cool guy, you speak your mind and doesn't afraid of anything.

maybe we are friends IRL? what journal are you on?
It appears that Veyron has an alt. Lord knows only Veyron himself is capable of believing Veyron is a "pretty cool guy."

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”