Which firm?

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.

Which firm?

Latham (LA)
43%
Irell (LA)
57%

Total votes: 23

Anonymous User

Which firm?

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Oct 01, 2010 7:04 pm

I've narrowed down my offers to Latham and Irell (LA).

Latham:
+ people were REALLY nice, good vibe, liked office, unassigned associate program
- 1/3 of 1st year associates were let go in 2009 (class size was 50)

Irell
+ early responsibility, financially stable, Century City
- no women partners (most senior women are mid-level associates), IP heavy, a little too nerdy

Anonymous User

Re: Which firm?

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Oct 01, 2010 7:08 pm

Anonymous User wrote:I've narrowed down my offers to Latham and Irell (LA).

Latham:
+ people were REALLY nice, good vibe, liked office, unassigned associate program

Irell
- no women partners (most senior women are mid-level associates), IP heavy, a little too nerdy

sounds like you already dislike ppl at Irell, go w/ ppl u like

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Oct 01, 2010 7:18 pm

Anonymous User wrote:I've narrowed down my offers to Latham and Irell (LA).

Latham:

Irell

u iP?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Oct 01, 2010 7:29 pm

OP - No, I'm not interested in IP. I would like to do general litigation.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Oct 01, 2010 7:34 pm

Anonymous User wrote:OP - No, I'm not interested in IP. I would like to do general litigation.

then go with Latham, this is not even close, especially given that you like the people at Latham a lot more than Irell.

Wavelet

Postby Wavelet » Fri Oct 01, 2010 7:37 pm

Anonymous User wrote:OP - No, I'm not interested in IP. I would like to do general litigation.

You want to do general litigation--so you're fine with everything from employment to antitrust to securities--but specifically NOT IP litigation? How would you know? I can understand Latham over Irell for corporate, but even for non-IP lit, Irell >> Latham.

Of course, there's the issue of "fit." But an online poll isn't going to shed much light on such a subjective consideration.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Oct 01, 2010 7:39 pm

Wavelet wrote:

You want to do general litigation--so you're fine with everything from employment to antitrust to securities--but specifically NOT IP litigation? How would you know? I can understand Latham over Irell for corporate, but even for non-IP lit, Irell >> Latham.

Of course, there's the issue of "fit." But an online poll isn't going to shed much light on such a subjective consideration.

not sure where you get non-IP lit, Irell >> Latham. Latham's a a band 1 firm for litigation in California, Irell's a band 3 firm for litigation in California.

Irell's a well known entity in So. Cal., but in the non-IP community outside of the So Cal bubble, Irell is not so well known. Even within So. Cal. Irell is NOT a litigation force in the gen. lit. universe.

OP: go with Latham.

Wavelet

Postby Wavelet » Fri Oct 01, 2010 7:54 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Wavelet wrote:

not sure where you get non-IP lit, Irell >> Latham. Latham's a tier one firm @ litigation, Irell's tier 3 - that's WITHIN california in chambers.

Irell's a well known entity in So. Cal., but in the non-IP community outside of the So Cal bubble, Irell is not so well known

The "general litigation" ranking, like any "general" ranking on Chambers, is biased in favor of large firms, which have more people doing more litigation. For example, Irell does not do appellate litigation; as a result, Irell's "general litigation" ranking takes a bigger hit than Latham's, which maintains a token appellate litigation group. The litigation groups Irell does have, however, mostly match or exceed their counterparts at Latham.

Latham also outranks Keker in general litigation, but I don't think anyone can seriously say Latham > Keker for litigation. Likewise, Keker is well-known within CA, but outside CA, Keker is not so well-known--irrelevant.

And I will grant you that Latham is well-known, though not entirely for good reasons.

Return to “Legal Employment”