Who makes offer decisions?

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Who makes offer decisions?

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Oct 01, 2010 4:27 pm

After the callback, who makes the decisions on whether to extend an offer and how is it made? What do the interviewers do in the process?

Cavalier

Re: Who makes offer decisions?

Postby Cavalier » Fri Oct 01, 2010 5:08 pm

A hiring committee meets (usually weekly) to determine who to offer, reject, and place on hold. The interviewers submit evaluations of you and then go back to billing.

yellowjacket2012

Postby yellowjacket2012 » Fri Oct 01, 2010 5:30 pm

Last edited by yellowjacket2012 on Mon Oct 11, 2010 7:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Oct 01, 2010 5:48 pm

Cavalier wrote:A hiring committee meets (usually weekly) to determine who to offer, reject, and place on hold. The interviewers submit evaluations of you and then go back to billing.

So, if I interviewed and offers went out the next day without me receiving one, is it a safe assumption I am in the reject or hold categories?

Kohinoor

Postby Kohinoor » Fri Oct 01, 2010 6:00 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Cavalier wrote:A hiring committee meets (usually weekly) to determine who to offer, reject, and place on hold. The interviewers submit evaluations of you and then go back to billing.

So, if I interviewed and offers went out the next day without me receiving one, is it a safe assumption I am in the reject or hold categories?

Maybe someone didn't get their eval in

laborday

Postby laborday » Sat Oct 02, 2010 1:39 am

Often heard people saying they got offers on the spot. How did that happen? Does that usually happen in big or small firms? If big firm, why no need for committee to vote?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Oct 02, 2010 8:17 am

laborday wrote:Often heard people saying they got offers on the spot. How did that happen? Does that usually happen in big or small firms? If big firm, why no need for committee to vote?

This is also what is causing my confusion. It appears at some firms that some candidates have been 'pre-approved' and need only to not screw up their interview whereas other candidates go through some kind of evaluation process. I think it's obvious what determines the first category (grades, school, etc), but what goes on in the second?

Crim

Postby Crim » Sat Oct 02, 2010 11:21 am

laborday wrote:Often heard people saying they got offers on the spot. How did that happen? Does that usually happen in big or small firms? If big firm, why no need for committee to vote?

I had a spot offer at the last firm I interviewed with, and I've heard that each person you interview with gives you a yea or nay immediately after speaking with you, and if they're all yea, then you're hired. Most firms have more comprehensive mechanisms, where the interviewers fill out a comment sheet and give cardinal rankings on a number of categories. In the latter, they have hiring committee meetings to make final decisions. I suppose it all depends on how wide a net the firm is casting for callbacks.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Oct 02, 2010 12:13 pm

Who typically sits on the hiring committee? Is it possible that none of your interviewers were on the committee or do you only interview with those who sit on it?

Return to “Legal Employment”