POLL: Jones Day or Latham? (Both NY)

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.

Jones Day or Latham (Both NY)

Jones Day
71%
Latham
29%

Total votes: 14

Anonymous User

POLL: Jones Day or Latham? (Both NY)

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Oct 01, 2010 3:06 pm

Interested mostly in corporate, particularly international and M+A. Want the best possible exit options.
Last edited by Anonymous User on Fri Oct 01, 2010 3:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Anonymous User

Re: Jones Day or Latham? (Both NY)

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Oct 01, 2010 3:13 pm

Jones Day.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Oct 01, 2010 3:22 pm

BUMP. I want to know, as well.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Oct 01, 2010 3:50 pm

OP here - any reason why Jones Day?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Oct 01, 2010 4:03 pm

In theory, law students (collectively) should take every chance to call out the "bad firms" and those who have the option should shun them. For example, I have nothing but immense respect for the student at my school who had the balls to ask a Latham partner to address the issue of layoffs in public. The partner was completely flustered and gave a very defensive answer.

The reality is, however, we don't really bring much to the table. Regardless of school or grades, we are uniformly useless to the firm for the first 1-2 years. The state of the economy is such that plenty of us would be grateful just to have an offer, even if it's from a firm like Latham.

All of this is just a long-winded way of saying that your choice should be tailored to your needs and preferences, not those of some anonymous forum posters. Most people voting for JD (myself included) are probably thinking "if you can go to a comparable firm, why in the world would anyone choose to Latham?" If you feel similarly, welcome to the bandwagon. If you have a different perspective--for example, if you just liked the people at Latham better or you believe that massive layoffs in 2008 means they don't need to fire anyone else for the next few years--then by all means, make your own decision.

Return to “Legal Employment”