ITT: People surprised they got BIGLAW

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

ITT: People surprised they got BIGLAW

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Oct 01, 2010 10:19 am

Finished first semester of 1L well into the bottom half of the class @ my Vandy/UT/UCLA. Thought it was all over for me. A very impressive second semester skyrockets me squarely to the 25%. Land offers up and down the V100.

Would love to hear other comeback stories...

Nicholasnickynic

Re: ITT: People surprised they got BIGLAW

Postby Nicholasnickynic » Fri Oct 01, 2010 10:29 am

grats, good job man =)

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Oct 01, 2010 2:41 pm

I was slightly below median at a T14 school after 1L and struck out at OCI. I ended up working for a company during my 2L summer and managed to get an offer from a V50 firm through 3L OCI. I feel very very lucky!

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Oct 01, 2010 5:05 pm

Anonymous User wrote:I was slightly below median at a T14 school after 1L and struck out at OCI. I ended up working for a company during my 2L summer and managed to get an offer from a V50 firm through 3L OCI. I feel very very lucky!

Any advice on how to get an in-house gig for the summer?

And congrats. So many people hope to be you...

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Oct 01, 2010 5:16 pm

shocked as well, 5 year biglaw paralegal, offered SA after top 1/3 at tier 4 (not NYC)

2009 Prospective

Postby 2009 Prospective » Fri Oct 01, 2010 5:30 pm

Anonymous User wrote:shocked as well, 5 year biglaw paralegal, offered SA after top 1/3 at tier 4 (not NYC)

Damn, that's awesome. Same firm that you worked for prior to law school?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Oct 04, 2010 8:52 am

2009 Prospective wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:shocked as well, 5 year biglaw paralegal, offered SA after top 1/3 at tier 4 (not NYC)

Damn, that's awesome. Same firm that you worked for prior to law school?

yes, same firm, same office.

Kohinoor

Postby Kohinoor » Mon Oct 04, 2010 11:22 am

Anonymous User wrote:Finished first semester of 1L well into the bottom half of the class @ my Vandy/UT/UCLA. Thought it was all over for me. A very impressive second semester skyrockets me squarely to the 25%. Land offers up and down the V100.

You were surprised that the top 25% of Vandy/UT/UCLA gets biglaw?

stinger35

Postby stinger35 » Mon Oct 04, 2010 11:57 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:I was slightly below median at a T14 school after 1L and struck out at OCI. I ended up working for a company during my 2L summer and managed to get an offer from a V50 firm through 3L OCI. I feel very very lucky!

Any advice on how to get an in-house gig for the summer?

And congrats. So many people hope to be you...

+1

Unshake

Postby Unshake » Mon Oct 04, 2010 1:19 pm

Kohinoor wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Finished first semester of 1L well into the bottom half of the class @ my Vandy/UT/UCLA. Thought it was all over for me. A very impressive second semester skyrockets me squarely to the 25%. Land offers up and down the V100.

The post is basically two sentences and fairly uncomplicated... He did poor his 1st semester and thought he had no shot at Biglaw. He did well his second semester and is surprised he was still able to get biglaw after a poor first semester.

Veyron

Postby Veyron » Mon Oct 04, 2010 1:46 pm

Unshake wrote:
Kohinoor wrote:

The post is basically two sentences and fairly uncomplicated... He did poor his 1st semester and thought he had no shot at Biglaw. He did well his second semester and is surprised he was still able to get biglaw after a poor first semester.

Kohinoor is a particularly daft troll. Pay him no mind.

Kohinoor

Postby Kohinoor » Mon Oct 04, 2010 2:00 pm

Unshake wrote:
Kohinoor wrote:

To be fair, when his grades were shitty, he wasn't applying for biglaw and thus there was no occasion for surprise. When he was applying for biglaw, his grades were great and thus no reason for surprise.

Kohinoor

Postby Kohinoor » Mon Oct 04, 2010 2:03 pm

Veyron wrote:
Unshake wrote:
Kohinoor wrote:

Kohinoor is a particularly daft troll. Pay him no mind.
saytprc

Unshake

Postby Unshake » Mon Oct 04, 2010 2:28 pm

Kohinoor wrote:
Unshake wrote:
Kohinoor wrote:

To be fair, when his grades were shitty, he wasn't applying for biglaw and thus there was no occasion for surprise. When he was applying for biglaw, his grades were great and thus no reason for surprise.

...To be fair your assessment of the usage of the word "surprise" is terrible.

Take Superbowl XLII for example (Patriots v Giants). In your world if somebody said, "I am surprised the Giants won" you might reply, "the Giants were winning with 2 seconds left, thus there is no reason for surprise." However they are obviously responding to the fact that, despite before the game being 14 point underdogs, the Giants still won.

Something may still be surprising even if the odds of that event change as to favor the previously unlikely outcome as time progresses. I would say the odds of him getting Biglaw were very low after his first semester up until the grades were released for semester 2. Surprise.

Kohinoor

Postby Kohinoor » Mon Oct 04, 2010 2:42 pm

Unshake wrote:Something may still be surprising even if the odds of that event change as to favor the previously unlikely outcome as time progresses. I would say the odds of him getting Biglaw were very low after his first semester up until the grades were released for semester 2. Surprise.
But he didn't get biglaw when grades were released for second semester. He got it months later at a point where his stellar performance was no longer..... a surprise. As you point out, it's an issue of time passage.

underdawg

Postby underdawg » Mon Oct 04, 2010 9:19 pm

good thing the internet was invented or i wouldn't have become smarter from having read those insightful posts. tyft

Return to “Legal Employment”