Non-NALP acceptance issue

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User
Posts: 273367
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Non-NALP acceptance issue

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Oct 01, 2010 12:38 am

Had a callback at a DC firm last Friday. On my way home, the hiring partner called to offer me the SA position. He told me to "call him next week to let him know." This is my first (and as of right now, only) offer, so I wasn't entirely sure how to handle the call this week. I called the attorney this week to let him know that I am "very grateful" for the offer, and that I am very interested in working with the firm over the summer. However, I also told him that my school is still going through OCI, and that I would like to finish out the process before I make any decisions.

When I asked about the timeline for the acceptance, he seemed a bit frustrated. He told me that, due to the size of the firm, as well as the "economy", the firm typically needs to know ASAP. When I asked for clarification, the attorney asked me to have an answer by Monday. This will be exactly 10 days from the date of my interview!

My question is if anyone else has experienced this type of pressure from an OCI firm? I am extremely grateful for getting an offer through OCI, but realistically I am waiting to hear back from 3 other firms that are higher on my "list." I've already started to reach out to those firms to let them know of my "expiring offer," and I feel like any more pressure that I put on those other firms will start to hurt my chances. Although I think that it's possible that I to snag 1 out of the other 3 firms that I had callbacks to, I know that it's just as likely that I won't. If I don't, then I feel like frustrating the hiring partner at the firm that has already offered me the position might put me in a precarious position this summer.

Any advice is welcomed!

Anonymous User
Posts: 273367
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Non-NALP acceptance issue

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Oct 01, 2010 12:49 am

Anonymous User wrote:Had a callback at a DC firm last Friday. On my way home, the hiring partner called to offer me the SA position. He told me to "call him next week to let him know." This is my first (and as of right now, only) offer, so I wasn't entirely sure how to handle the call this week. I called the attorney this week to let him know that I am "very grateful" for the offer, and that I am very interested in working with the firm over the summer. However, I also told him that my school is still going through OCI, and that I would like to finish out the process before I make any decisions.

When I asked about the timeline for the acceptance, he seemed a bit frustrated. He told me that, due to the size of the firm, as well as the "economy", the firm typically needs to know ASAP. When I asked for clarification, the attorney asked me to have an answer by Monday. This will be exactly 10 days from the date of my interview!

My question is if anyone else has experienced this type of pressure from an OCI firm? I am extremely grateful for getting an offer through OCI, but realistically I am waiting to hear back from 3 other firms that are higher on my "list." I've already started to reach out to those firms to let them know of my "expiring offer," and I feel like any more pressure that I put on those other firms will start to hurt my chances. Although I think that it's possible that I to snag 1 out of the other 3 firms that I had callbacks to, I know that it's just as likely that I won't. If I don't, then I feel like frustrating the hiring partner at the firm that has already offered me the position might put me in a precarious position this summer.

Any advice is welcomed!


I'll tell you what my close friend did last year - and then I'll tell you to NOT do this, so while you ask what should I do, pardon me telling you what not to do.

Exactly one year ago, a non V100 big law firm in Seattle gave my friend, then a rising 2L, a 7 day offer-acceptance timeline. He protested. They gave him an attitude about it, exactly what you're describing. So he grudgingly took the offer on day 7 despite the fact that his OCI wasn't till the next week. He then did OCI, went on the handful of callbacks he got, and then accepted an offer at a V100 firm in a major market (think NY/Chicago). He summered there last year, and recently was offered a full-time position after law school. What did he do with NALP-violating firm #1? He told them that his "situation had changed" via email, and informed them about his interest in withdrawing his acceptance of their offer. The firm was NOT happy, and they reported his antics to the career office. The career office sent him a harshly worded email. End of story. There's nothing on his law school record, according to him. I obviously don't know that for a fact, but you really don't want to play these games. The legal profession is one of ethics and integrity, and I'm trying not to sound corny, but if you are ever in THAT predicament - do not do what my friend did, its just not wise given the profession you're going into. Did things work out for my friend? Yes. Did he do the right thing? No. I guess my point in posting this is - if you end up in this predicament - make a decision and stick with it.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273367
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Non-NALP acceptance issue

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Oct 01, 2010 12:54 am

I think ITE you are being pretty arrogant by assuming you are going to receive other offers from OCI. In addition you are creating a bad situation for yourself this coming summer when its time for the firm to make permanent offers and it comes down to you and the guy who eagerly accepted the offer., but if working at Firm A is sooo much more important than Firm B then so be it. Just remember for the most part all law firms are the same especially the first couple of years.

User avatar
RonSantoRules
Posts: 66
Joined: Sat Jan 19, 2008 9:27 pm

Re: Non-NALP acceptance issue

Postby RonSantoRules » Fri Oct 01, 2010 8:02 am

It is called at-will employment for a reason. Accept if you are worrying about it exploding. Be ready for some blowback if you back out (such that you will never be able to work at that firm in the future), but you should always be looking out for yourself and not the law firm in your job search. As a young associate you are fungible and they wouldn't hesitate to back out on you if the situation presented itself (i.e., deferrals, cancelling summer program).

User avatar
Sobriquet
Posts: 93
Joined: Thu Sep 25, 2008 10:05 pm

Re: Non-NALP acceptance issue

Postby Sobriquet » Fri Oct 01, 2010 8:15 am

If you've already done 3 callbacks, you should hear back soon if they are giving you an offer - especially considering that you've told them your deadline. I received all of my offers w/in 8 days of my callback, the vast majority w/in 2-3 days. Just wait and see before you panic. If you don't hear back by the 10th day, I would accept that offer and assume the others are rejections (or holds which this late in the game is probably a rejection as well).

And don't listen to what the other poster said about being the first on the chopping block because you took too long to accept your offer. They have an entire summer to evaluate you, seems kinda ridiculous that this would be the deciding factor.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273367
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Non-NALP acceptance issue

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Oct 01, 2010 8:25 am

Is it possible for you to call the firms that you're waiting on and ask for a faster decision? Two firms that I had CBs had said that they know NALP deadlines have changed, and they told me they would take a while to get back to me but I should feel free to call them if I need to hear back sooner.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273367
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Non-NALP acceptance issue

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Oct 01, 2010 9:48 am

As I was told, that's the market and "there are no NALP police." So you just need to try to get in touch with whatever firm you would rather take an offer from and see where you stand with them, and hopefully it all works out for the best. That is what I am doing.




Return to “Legal Employment”

Who is online

The online users are hidden on this forum.