Skadden vs. S&C (both NY)

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.

Which firm would you choose?

Skadden
43%
S&C
57%

Total votes: 23

Anonymous User

Skadden vs. S&C (both NY)

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Oct 01, 2010 12:16 am

Which one would you choose and why? I have an interest in litigation, but I want a broad experience this summer. If I had to specialize, I would probably go with white collar. Liked the people at Skadden generally a little bit more than at S&C.

Anonymous User

Re: Skadden vs. S&C (both NY)

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Oct 01, 2010 7:39 am

Bump

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Oct 01, 2010 8:24 am

S&C by a mile. If you want to do white collar, S&C has a ton of former AUSAs and a lot of their enforcement work is international, which is pretty cool.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Oct 01, 2010 1:07 pm

Bump

animalcrkrs

Postby animalcrkrs » Fri Oct 01, 2010 1:18 pm

Greg Giraldo worked at Skadden and he left to make snide jokes but just died of a drug overdose. Thus, if YOU work at Skadden you might transition into a fun hobo lifestyle career but will ultimately succumb to high-end cocaine. Just saying. It's logic.

By this reasoning if you become a managing partner at Locke Lord, you will die of a heart attack in the office (which sounds even MORE likely than the drug hang-up).

legends159

Postby legends159 » Fri Oct 01, 2010 1:53 pm

animalcrkrs wrote:Greg Giraldo worked at Skadden and he left to make snide jokes but just died of a drug overdose. Thus, if YOU work at Skadden you might transition into a fun hobo lifestyle career but will ultimately succumb to high-end cocaine. Just saying. It's logic.

By this reasoning if you become a managing partner at Locke Lord, you will die of a heart attack in the office (which sounds even MORE likely than the drug hang-up).

lol WUT?!?

oh wait, yeah that makes sense.

Crim

Postby Crim » Fri Oct 01, 2010 9:26 pm

I'm in pretty much exactly the same situation as OP, and am curious on more thoughts.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Oct 01, 2010 11:04 pm

I had to make this exact decision and went with Skadden. Really I don't see where all the Skadden hate comes from. Last I checked that place was pretty awesome.

Honestly I didn't see a meaningful difference in the quality/quantity of work, offer prospects, exit opportunities, etc. All of that looks to be exactly what you think and what it should be. Where I did see a difference was in office culture. S&C looked much more formal, and I would think the probability of that being a better choice is probably directly proportional to how many pairs of cufflinks you own. Skadden just seemed to have more people I could see myself hanging out with, not that there will be time for that.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Oct 01, 2010 11:06 pm

I recall reading a story about two associates competing for partnership at S&C. One was passed over because it was rumored he drove a motorcycle to work.

This was back in the 60s, though, but interesting nonetheless.

Crim

Postby Crim » Sat Oct 02, 2010 11:25 am

I've heard the location of the firms does make a difference. Skadden is right at Times Square, which can be overwhelming, while S&C is way downtown, where there aren't as many things to do.

NYAssociate

Postby NYAssociate » Sat Oct 02, 2010 11:28 am

Last edited by NYAssociate on Tue Oct 05, 2010 9:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Oct 02, 2010 12:22 pm

This may seem silly but location matters in terms of food options. The last thing you want is to worry about what to eat when you've been working so much.

I also liked skadden but mainly bc they threw extravagance at me. S&c did as well but to a lesser magnitude. At the end of the day there is no free lunch and the firm will find a way to make back all this money and more from you.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Oct 02, 2010 1:33 pm

Crim wrote:I've heard the location of the firms does make a difference. Skadden is right at Times Square, which can be overwhelming, while S&C is way downtown, where there aren't as many things to do.

This was something that really worried me about choosing Skadden, because Times Square is awful. But Skadden is located just a little east of times square (between Broadway and 6th), so if you ride the F or anything that stops at 42nd St/Bryant Park, you can get into and out of work without going through any of the touristy stuff.

Return to “Legal Employment”