CSM v. S&C v. STB

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
arisbottle

CSM v. S&C v. STB

Postby arisbottle » Thu Sep 30, 2010 6:51 pm

Trying to choose a place to spend the next few years.

My main concerns are compensation, not being shoved out in three years, interesting, consistent work, not being stealthed or lathamed, eventual exit options, possibility of partner; and I assume that people/culture will all be roughly the same in that intra-firm variations > inter-firm variation.

thoughts gang?

rayiner

Re: CSM v. S&C v. STB

Postby rayiner » Thu Sep 30, 2010 6:57 pm

Pay: Same
Job security: S&C
Exit options: CSM
Possibility of making partner: None

legends159

Postby legends159 » Thu Sep 30, 2010 7:24 pm

I would argue that exit options are relatively the same and will depend more on the connections you make and the work product you produce than the name on your resume.

CSM is notorious for working you more on average than the other two, but the hours worked will depend on what project you are on and what practice group/partners you work for.

arisbottle

Postby arisbottle » Thu Sep 30, 2010 7:55 pm

thanks, all

War Cardinal

Postby War Cardinal » Thu Sep 30, 2010 9:00 pm

legends159 wrote:I would argue that exit options are relatively the same and will depend more on the connections you make and the work product you produce than the name on your resume.

CSM is notorious for working you more on average than the other two, but the hours worked will depend on what project you are on and what practice group/partners you work for.

S&C will work you just as hard as CSM. Both will work you into the ground.

legends159

Postby legends159 » Thu Sep 30, 2010 11:27 pm

War Cardinal wrote:
legends159 wrote:I would argue that exit options are relatively the same and will depend more on the connections you make and the work product you produce than the name on your resume.

S&C will work you just as hard as CSM. Both will work you into the ground.

I'm basing this off of the averyindex http://www.averyindex.com/shortest_hour_law_firms.php which granted is old data and not complete but shows that CSM works Wachtell hours where as S&C works 7 hours less a week.

I will concede that hours has more to do with what project you're staffed on than the firm, but CSM with its rotation system can be notoriously brutal if you get a tough partner who wants you there even when there's no work and then works you all night when there is work. Same can happen at s&c but at least you're not stuck with one partner for 15-18 months.

arisbottle

Postby arisbottle » Fri Oct 01, 2010 1:57 am

is there really a prestige difference between S&C and STB? I'm leaning toward those two as I didn't really like cravath much while S&C and STB are more or less equal at the moment.

Return to “Legal Employment”