Any Cravath alumni/associates willing to take questions?

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
acharyainc

Any Cravath alumni/associates willing to take questions?

Postby acharyainc » Thu Sep 30, 2010 6:44 pm

I know TLSers are usually shy about giving away their schools and employers but I have some questions I'd like to ask via messaging if possible.

legends159

Re: Any Cravath alumni/associates willing to take questions?

Postby legends159 » Thu Sep 30, 2010 7:25 pm

might want to post this in legal employment section so people can be anonymous

acharyainc

Postby acharyainc » Thu Sep 30, 2010 7:32 pm

Will do, thanks for the tip

Dania

Postby Dania » Sun Oct 17, 2010 5:31 pm

I'm happy to take questions.

acharyainc

Postby acharyainc » Tue Oct 19, 2010 8:05 pm

Thanks for taking the time. I appreciate your help.

Hiring: Has it picked back up? If so, has it become more difficult to get your foot in the door? What are the general guidelines for new associates?

Worklife: This is a subjective question but I'd still like to ask - how easy/difficult is it for you to get motivated on a day-to-day basis? Do you feel like your career is progressing rapidly or do you feel like you're aiming for some goal way down the road?

Quality of life: Do you have time to get out of the office? In any given week, what is your schedule?

If I were to get a 1L summer associate position at another firm, is it true that it would hurt my chances at Cravath?

I'd love to hear any tips you can give me about giving myself the best chance at getting a 2L summer position. What would make me a viable candidate?

Once again, thank you so much. You're insight is tremendously valuable.

Postby 20160810 » Tue Oct 19, 2010 9:05 pm

1.) I'm going to go ahead and move this to the proper subforum, along with the obvious note that if putting your legal employment questions in the forum titled "Legal Employment" is beyond you, then best of luck landing a V2 job.

2.) Why are you asking how to work for Cravath after 2L AS A 1L? Just get good grades and stop being a gunner.

Veyron

Postby Veyron » Tue Oct 19, 2010 9:07 pm

SBL wrote:1.) I'm going to go ahead and move this to the proper subforum, along with the obvious note that if putting your legal employment questions in the forum titled "Legal Employment" is beyond you, then best of luck landing a V2 job.

2.) Why are you asking how to work for Cravath after 2L AS A 1L? Just get good grades and stop being a gunner.

The people bound for CSM have been gunning since they were 2.

RVP11

Postby RVP11 » Tue Oct 19, 2010 11:06 pm

Veyron wrote:The people bound for CSM have been gunning since they were 2.

Not all of them, surely.

chipchip

Postby chipchip » Tue Oct 19, 2010 11:18 pm

I'd love to hear any tips you can give me about giving myself the best chance at getting a 2L summer position. What would make me a viable candidate?

The following is true for any job: Get off TLS and study. Get great grades. Then come ask these questions after 1L is over.

RVP11

Postby RVP11 » Tue Oct 19, 2010 11:22 pm

When will people realize you can't really gun for a particular firm? I don't care if you have top 1% grades. You can always get a screening interviewer who doesn't like you for whatever reason.

vamedic03

Postby vamedic03 » Tue Oct 19, 2010 11:35 pm

RVP11 wrote:When will people realize you can't really gun for a particular firm? I don't care if you have top 1% grades. You can always get a screening interviewer who doesn't like you for whatever reason.

TCR - you can gun for a NYC V5; or a top DC firm; but its utterly futile to gun for X firm.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Oct 20, 2010 7:26 am

Actually, I would love to hear from current 3Ls and alumni about their experiences at Cravath. Just because this thread might not be immediately pertinent to the OP doesn't mean it doesn't have positive exernalities for those of us in a position to benefit from its insight.

Veyron

Postby Veyron » Wed Oct 20, 2010 9:08 am

RVP11 wrote:

Not all of them, surely.

No, some didn't start till they were 3, but they will never make partner.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Oct 20, 2010 9:33 am

Veyron wrote:
RVP11 wrote:

Not all of them, surely.

True. I'd imagine none of us at my school who got offered gunned for the firm until the FIP. In any case, I didn't accept Cravath's offer as did all of my fellow classmates with the offer.

The person I notified of my decision sounded abit snippy and annoyed as if I would dare turn my back on her firm. :roll: Some of the others reported a similar reaction. It would be fair to say Cravath's reputation at YLS is taking a beating these days plus it got hit hard by the economic downturn.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Oct 22, 2010 12:00 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Veyron wrote:
RVP11 wrote:

Not all of them, surely.

True. I'd imagine none of us at my school who got offered gunned for the firm until the FIP. In any case, I didn't accept Cravath's offer as did all of my fellow classmates with the offer.

The person I notified of my decision sounded abit snippy and annoyed as if I would dare turn my back on her firm. :roll: Some of the others reported a similar reaction. It would be fair to say Cravath's reputation at YLS is taking a beating these days plus it got hit hard by the economic downturn.

I don't socialize much with others at YLS, so perhaps what you're saying is indeed true, but I received an offer from Cravath and I have only great things to say about my dealings with CSM. Then again, most YLS students appear pretty petrified of firm work, let alone working for a firm like CSM that is known to demand a hell of a lot from its associates. And even if the Firm is taking a beating at YLS, it's reputation is sterling elsewhere.
Last edited by Anonymous User on Fri Oct 22, 2010 12:06 am, edited 1 time in total.

Veyron

Postby Veyron » Fri Oct 22, 2010 12:06 am

[/quote]

No, some didn't start till they were 3, but they will never make partner.[/quote]

The person I notified of my decision sounded abit snippy and annoyed as if I would dare turn my back on her firm. :roll: Some of the others reported a similar reaction. It would be fair to say Cravath's reputation at YLS is taking a beating these days plus it got hit hard by the economic downturn.[/quote]

I don't socialize much with others at YLS, so perhaps what you're saying is indeed true, but I received an offer from Cravath and I have only great things to say about my dealings with CSM. And even if the Firm is taking a beating at YLS, it's reputation is pretty sterling elsewhere.[/quote]

All I can say is that I really like Even Chester's style. I heard him speak once and it was pretty inspiring. I like how the man doesn't apologize for what CSM does - he truly believes that corporations take too much shit today and that they need strong advocates.

Probably won't have the grades for CSM, but I'd give my left nut to work for a guy like that.

legends159

Postby legends159 » Fri Oct 22, 2010 1:40 am

Veyron wrote:All I can say is that I really like Even Chester's style. I heard him speak once and it was pretty inspiring. I like how the man doesn't apologize for what CSM does - he truly believes that corporations take too much shit today and that they need strong advocates.

Probably won't have the grades for CSM, but I'd give my left nut to work for a guy like that.

You hear a guy speak once and you'd give up your left nut to work for him?

Veyron

Postby Veyron » Fri Oct 22, 2010 1:44 am

legends159 wrote:
Veyron wrote:All I can say is that I really like Even Chester's style. I heard him speak once and it was pretty inspiring. I like how the man doesn't apologize for what CSM does - he truly believes that corporations take too much shit today and that they need strong advocates.

Some people have that sort of effect.

TheFriendlyBarber

Postby TheFriendlyBarber » Fri Oct 22, 2010 2:34 am

Veyron wrote:
legends159 wrote:

And to think that some still wonder how Obama got elected.

Veyron

Postby Veyron » Fri Oct 22, 2010 2:44 am

TheFriendlyBarber wrote:
Veyron wrote:
legends159 wrote:

And to think that some still wonder how Obama got elected.

Touche.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Oct 22, 2010 9:59 am

Anonymous User wrote:I don't socialize much with others at YLS, so perhaps what you're saying is indeed true, but I received an offer from Cravath and I have only great things to say about my dealings with CSM. Then again, most YLS students appear pretty petrified of firm work, let alone working for a firm like CSM that is known to demand a hell of a lot from its associates. And even if the Firm is taking a beating at YLS, it's reputation is sterling elsewhere.

Yet another who falls prey to that urban myth that Yalies don't like to work hard. :roll: I'm sure there's a group in each school who don't like to work hard and YLS is no exception but that's it.

FYI, Cravath's reputation isn't as sterling everywhere as you think, certainly not after speaking to friends from HYSCCN, not after the numeruos stealth layoffs and full year deferments plus serious miscalculations of how much work and staffing it really needed ITE.

Actually, I had great dealings with CSM myself as did my friends with an offer from the firm. I would be more than happy to work 75-80 hours a week if it comes to that - it doesn't bother me. I'm young, single, went to LS straight from UG so I've got plenty of time and energy to devote as many hours to a biglaw firm as much as they need me. I'm not interested in academia or PI at this time although I will most likely pursue a federal clerkship after graduation. Cravath wasn't the only V5 offer for me and I did accept an offer from one of other V5s which also has a reputation for soul-crushing hours.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Oct 22, 2010 11:42 am

Anonymous User wrote:FYI, Cravath's reputation isn't as sterling everywhere as you think, certainly not after speaking to friends from HYSCCN

I do not doubt that like minds gravitate toward one another.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Oct 22, 2010 12:43 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
I don't socialize much with others at YLS, so perhaps what you're saying is indeed true, but I received an offer from Cravath and I have only great things to say about my dealings with CSM. Then again, most YLS students appear pretty petrified of firm work, let alone working for a firm like CSM that is known to demand a hell of a lot from its associates. And even if the Firm is taking a beating at YLS, it's reputation is sterling elsewhere.

It's rep has taken a pretty big beating at Columbia too. I'd say roughly 2/3 of my friends who got offer turned Cravath down for other V10s.

I think at some poin the thinking is whether there's really any incremental benefit that justifies Cravath's rep as a sweatshop.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Oct 22, 2010 1:22 pm

From what I've seen, except for Wachtell, the V10s tend to be pretty equal as far as the "sweatshop reputation" is concerned. Some find it more tolerable when the hours are dressed up with "nicer" partners, but in the end it's the same shit. What I've always believed is that you should go to the firm where you liked the people the most. If you're doing the same hours, what'll make one place easier to work at than the other is whether you can coexist with the personalities that you have to work with for most of your natural life.

Aside from that, there are practice group differences between, say, Cravath corporate and Davis Polk corporate. For someone interested in corporate groups, he or she would do well to understand each firms' strengths and weaknesses. Litigation-wise, Chambers aside, I think Cravath is considered the strongest litigation outfit in NYC. Chesler himself follows a long line of Cravath litigators who bring the brass knuckles to court.

Return to “Legal Employment”