List of firms that are still hiring?

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

List of firms that are still hiring?

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Sep 30, 2010 2:22 am

Struck out of OCI. Now looking to mass-mail to wherever possible including big/non-big laws.

In order to make mass mailing little bit more efficient, I was hoping to see if we can get a list going as to which firms are still hiring. If you have mass-mailed and had success with a particular firm in recent days, please let us know.

I know most big law firms are done hiring but there may be exception. And i am sure there are some mid firms out there.

Anonymous User

Re: List of firms that are still hiring?

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Sep 30, 2010 2:35 am

what type of firms are we talking about here? places where you start at 60k a year? 45k?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Sep 30, 2010 2:38 am

Any firms that pay :)

IzziesGal

Postby IzziesGal » Thu Sep 30, 2010 3:31 am

Schulte? I thought for some reason they were later in the game. Also, try looking up firms on Martindale.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Sep 30, 2010 9:02 am

IzziesGal wrote:Schulte? I thought for some reason they were later in the game. Also, try looking up firms on Martindale.
Schulte was the first firm to give out (a massive number of) offers at my school.

IzziesGal

Postby IzziesGal » Thu Sep 30, 2010 12:36 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
IzziesGal wrote:Schulte? I thought for some reason they were later in the game. Also, try looking up firms on Martindale.
Schulte was the first firm to give out (a massive number of) offers at my school.

Ack - sorry. Definitely try Martindale, then. It's a general search tool that the general public can use looking for a lawyer, but it's great because it will generate hits for smaller or non-NALP firms in target regions that you may otherwise have never heard of. You can search by city, practice area, etc. The big ones will pop up as well, but the smaller and midsized firms will be spread throughout the search results as well. Hope this helps.

Also - the good thing is a lot of smaller and midsize firms recruit later in the season, from what I've been told. Not sure how accurate that is! Good luck!

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Sep 30, 2010 12:47 pm

Spam everyone I can't tell you how important this i I struck out at OCI but spammed 100 firms and got 2 CB. I started spamming on Monday, so there is still hope. SPAM and don't stop until you get to 100 should only take you 1 and 1/2 days.

swc65

Postby swc65 » Thu Sep 30, 2010 12:50 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Spam everyone I can't tell you how important this i I struck out at OCI but spammed 100 firms and got 2 CB. I started spamming on Monday, so there is still hope. SPAM and don't stop until you get to 100 should only take you 1 and 1/2 days.

1L Disclaimer. However, I have done a lot of HR work. Sending out a ton of apps is a good idea, but not SPAM. It's common sense that your apps should be targeted to each firm. Don't just send out 100 clone apps. If you target them and adjust your resume and cover letter for each one you will probably have higher response ratio.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Sep 30, 2010 12:52 pm

swc65 wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Spam everyone I can't tell you how important this i I struck out at OCI but spammed 100 firms and got 2 CB. I started spamming on Monday, so there is still hope. SPAM and don't stop until you get to 100 should only take you 1 and 1/2 days.

1L Disclaimer. However, I have done a lot of HR work. Sending out a ton of apps is a good idea, but not SPAM. It's common sense that your apps should be targeted to each firm. Don't just send out 100 clone apps. If you target them and adjust your resume and cover letter for each one you will probably have higher response ratio.

I did customize one paragraph of each cover letter to suit the firm I was mailing too. I still refer to it as SPAM, my apologies if I confused anyone.

swc65

Postby swc65 » Thu Sep 30, 2010 1:21 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
swc65 wrote:

I did customize one paragraph of each cover letter to suit the firm I was mailing too. I still refer to it as SPAM, my apologies if I confused anyone.

yeah I guess for a law student without much work experience, no more adjustment would be needed. However, if you have had jobs, you might want to change more in your resume. You may want to elaborate on different parts of your previous jobs depending upon the firm. For example, if the firm has a free market system you might to expand and bring to the top of your resume a job that required you to work without a lot of direction and to seek out assignments (or if it did not require you to do that, explain how your previous work would prepare you for such a system). Minor tweeks and word choices can make a huge difference. Often, hiring committees (or more usually, their secretaries) simply scan resumes or key words and phrases.
Last edited by swc65 on Thu Sep 30, 2010 1:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.

swc65

Postby swc65 » Thu Sep 30, 2010 1:22 pm

double post

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Sep 30, 2010 1:32 pm

Really? Are your grades really good or something? I've been sending out applications for like two weeks now (all V100 + small/medium firms all across the board) and have heard nothing.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Sep 30, 2010 3:11 pm

Steptoe & Johnson, PLLC, Clarksburg WV

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Sep 30, 2010 4:38 pm

try cold calling and asking. keep us updated

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Sep 30, 2010 5:34 pm

what sort of market is this? small? large?

Return to “Legal Employment”