Jones Day (NY) v. Cahill (NY)

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.

Jones Day (NY) v. Cahill (NY)

Jones Day (NY)
42%
Cahill (NY)
58%

Total votes: 33

Anonymous User

Re: Jones Day (NY) v. Cahill (NY)

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Oct 04, 2010 2:00 pm

Unless you are sure what you want to do I would go with Jones Day. Explore as many practice areas as you can and find out for real what you want to do instead of pigeonholing yourself into one of the areas where Cahill stands out.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Oct 04, 2010 2:08 pm

I would choose Cahill. Cahill attorneys seemed markedly more chill. JD just throws first years into whatever group is available, despite your stated interests, and then has you do nothing but memos and doc review for the first couple years. Cahill may not be entirely different, but as long as its marginally different, then it counts as an improvement. Neither is prestigious enough, or prestigious relative to the other, to meaningfully affect whatever exit opps you think you may have as a litigator. JD also makes you wear a suit/formal biz attire everyday.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Oct 04, 2010 2:18 pm

Another plug for Cahill (and what ultimately sold it for me) is the lack of formal practice groups/free market system. I like that I can be a legal generalist and not have to commit to doing X type of transaction every day for the next 4 or 5 years.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Oct 04, 2010 3:23 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Another plug for Cahill (and what ultimately sold it for me) is the lack of formal practice groups/free market system. I like that I can be a legal generalist and not have to commit to doing X type of transaction every day for the next 4 or 5 years.

you underestimate the degree to which your skills will naturally develop into a specific practice group. sure over the summer and perhaps first year you can explore, but as soon as you start to develop an expertise in a particular area or relationship with a particular partner you're going to start working in the same area over and over again. There really is no place for generalists in today's hyper-specialized legal market. It seems like OP doesn't know exactly what area of law he wants to do and I really think the smartest choice for him would be Jones Day.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Oct 05, 2010 7:18 pm

Cahill is better in N.Y. The exit options in N.Y. will be better from Cahill, and the QOL at Cahill is reportedly great. Don't get lost in the "legal institution" that is Jones Day, choose Cahill.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Oct 05, 2010 7:33 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Cahill is better in N.Y. The exit options in N.Y. will be better from Cahill, and the QOL at Cahill is reportedly great. Don't get lost in the "legal institution" that is Jones Day, choose Cahill.

Where have you heard all of this?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Oct 05, 2010 7:39 pm

I'd also like to hear more info about these firms.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Oct 05, 2010 9:54 pm

bump

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Oct 11, 2010 7:35 pm

What did you decide, OP?

Return to “Legal Employment”