Most CB's Without an Offer

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.

Number of callbacks without an offer?

8%
1-2
13%
3-4
21%
5-6
8%
7-8
No votes
9-10
4%
11+
4%
I have an offer
42%

Total votes: 24

Anonymous User

Most CB's Without an Offer

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Sep 29, 2010 10:38 pm

I've had quite a few callbacks and no offer.

It's doesn't make sense to me because people are either good interviewers or they are not.

If I were a good interviewer, I would have offers.

If I were a bad interviewer, I would not have callbacks.

Therefore, it doesn't make sense that I have lots of callbacks and no offers.

Note: I have had ~10 callbacks.

Anonymous User

Re: Most CB's Without an Offer

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Sep 29, 2010 10:41 pm

Not true; you can get a callback based primarily on your grades and having a pulse. Callbacks themselves are much more about enthusiasm, knowledge of the firm, and fit.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Sep 29, 2010 10:43 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Not true; you can get a callback based primarily on your grades and having a pulse. Callbacks themselves are much more about enthusiasm, knowledge of the firm, and fit.

OP Here.

What's the point of the screening interview then?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Sep 29, 2010 10:44 pm

Sigh, I know what you mean. 6 CBs done so far, one left to go, and nothing to show for it (well, nothing but a single rejection letter, but given that others from my school have offers from some of my pending firms, I think it's safe to assume that many more dings will be coming).

Just seems like so much wasted time and energy...

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Sep 29, 2010 10:49 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Not true; you can get a callback based primarily on your grades and having a pulse. Callbacks themselves are much more about enthusiasm, knowledge of the firm, and fit.

OP Here.

Quite a few people think that the screening interview is little more than a transcript dump.

Black-Blue

Postby Black-Blue » Wed Sep 29, 2010 10:52 pm

Anonymous User wrote:

OP Here.

For the most part, screening interviews are for publicity and formality. They already know 90% of the ppl they'll offer callbacks to before the interview begins. It's also used to gather updated resumes, and to see if you have extraordinary situation that can't easily be explained on a resume.

Screening interviews don't matter unless there's something extraordinary. So if you are an extraordinarily bad interviewer, you might not get past the screening stage. If you're only a bad interviewer (as you said), then you'd still get past the screener.

RVP11

Postby RVP11 » Wed Sep 29, 2010 10:55 pm

Maybe it's because I'm at UVA (PRESCREENING) but I felt like my screening interviewers were definitely assessing fit/personality because at least 50% of their interviewees were satisfactory on paper. And I only recall one or two firms that seemingly just called back the people with the best GPAs.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Sep 29, 2010 10:57 pm

I don't buy the rationale that screening interviews mean nothing. A firm would not spend hundreds of dollars and, more importantly, many hours of time that could be spend billing to callback someone that the screener does not view as at least potentially a good fit. Also, if the screener sends someone out to headquarters that is an ass, socially inept, etc, it makes them look bad.

Could just be my wishful thinking though. 9 CBs, 5 dings, 4 outstanding.

Black-Blue

Postby Black-Blue » Wed Sep 29, 2010 11:05 pm

to callback someone that the screener does not view as at least potentially a good fit.

Why would they trust a screener who spends only 20 minutes talking to you to be a precise judge on your fit? Giving the screener too much weight would result in a large margin of error simply because the candidates can't be evaluated thoroughly enough. That's why I don't think screeners have an influence unless there's something unusual (and this doesn't mean that they mean "nothing").

Return to “Legal Employment”