1L SA Chances

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Re: 1L SA Chances

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Dec 07, 2010 10:08 pm

I am the OP. Sent out 40 resumes to legal recruiters. 3 dings (next year please), 1 - grades please, so far. Started emailing alum partners in my market, got two meetings (not sure if it is called interview, never asked for resume). Basically I said my accounting background makes your practice very interesting to me. 2 partners shot back - dude we should meet (same V100 firm). Good? Any pointers on how to approach it to turn it into a 1L SA?

PS. 1 more meet at a different mid-law firm just came through.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Dec 07, 2010 10:39 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Does Big4 hire 1Ls for summer internships?

I tried looking them up on the NALP directory and also their respective websites and could not find anything

They hire 1Ls, but probably much faster with an accounting background. I would say go to Big 4 websites and apply away. Deloitte and PWC have online internship postings. I do not think E&Y and KPMG do. If you get hired , prepare to be surrounded by clueless rising seniors from TTTTTTT Bumfuck SU.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Dec 10, 2010 5:56 pm

Anonymous User wrote:

I tried looking them up on the NALP directory and also their respective websites and could not find anything

They hire 1Ls, but probably much faster with an accounting background. I would say go to Big 4 websites and apply away. Deloitte and PWC have online internship postings. I do not think E&Y and KPMG do. If you get hired , prepare to be surrounded by clueless rising seniors from TTTTTTT Bumfuck SU.

well, let's say i worked at a Big4 before in M&A tax and my target is BigLaw tax. Obviously it makes more sense to apply to BigLaw 1L SA positions rather than Big4 1L internships.

Would BigLaw see my big4 internship as a return to tax accounting rather than tax law? that is my main issue.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Dec 13, 2010 9:25 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

well, let's say i worked at a Big4 before in M&A tax and my target is BigLaw tax. Obviously it makes more sense to apply to BigLaw 1L SA positions rather than Big4 1L internships.

Would BigLaw see my big4 internship as a return to tax accounting rather than tax law? that is my main issue.

I think it will. M&A tax is great experience. I worked for D&T external audit for three years, it is a lot less prestigious and selective.

ntugwater

Postby ntugwater » Tue Dec 14, 2010 4:43 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

Not necessarily... but I still wouldn't do it. You already have that experience so an SA there again won't add anything and you'd get more out of doing any actual legal internship

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Dec 14, 2010 7:50 am

ntugwater wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

Not necessarily... but I still wouldn't do it. You already have that experience so an SA there again won't add anything and you'd get more out of doing any actual legal internship

well, i think that the internship will be focused on transactional tax structuring as opposed to tax due diligence accounting

Return to “Legal Employment”