1L SA Chances Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
dood

Gold

Re: 1L SA Chances

Post by dood » Thu Sep 30, 2010 12:53 am

Last edited by dood on Sun Oct 24, 2010 4:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.

bk1

Diamond

Post by bk1 » Thu Sep 30, 2010 12:43 pm

Rand M. wrote:
bk187 wrote:There are diversity fellowships for URM's outside of SEO?
SEO is a 0L thing. There a lot of diversity programs that aim specifically at 1Ls.
Good to know. I understand that it is 0L, when I mentioned SEO it is was in reference to their 1L clerkship thing.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Sep 30, 2010 2:09 pm

I'm the guy that posted earlier (1L at Columbia/NYU (don't want to specify). Black male. Want to work at a firm in NYC this summer). Does anyone know any firms off the top of their heads that look to hire minority 1Ls?

Also, if you're hired as a 1L is it likely the firm will give you an offer for your 2L summer?

RVP11

Gold

Post by RVP11 » Thu Sep 30, 2010 2:30 pm

Anonymous User wrote:I'm the guy that posted earlier (1L at Columbia/NYU (don't want to specify). Black male. Want to work at a firm in NYC this summer). Does anyone know any firms off the top of their heads that look to hire minority 1Ls?
How will anything we say change your future actions?

Just apply to them all, man. Use NALP and spam away.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Sep 30, 2010 3:42 pm

Anonymous User wrote:I'm the guy that posted earlier (1L at Columbia/NYU (don't want to specify). Black male. Want to work at a firm in NYC this summer). Does anyone know any firms off the top of their heads that look to hire minority 1Ls?

Also, if you're hired as a 1L is it likely the firm will give you an offer for your 2L summer?
I don't know about NYC, but in Texas it is very common for 1L SAs to be given a 2L offer.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

JJDancer

Gold

Post by JJDancer » Thu Sep 30, 2010 4:02 pm

I'm an 0L so forgive me if this is a stupid question but are the diversity/minority programs available to 1Ls via firms only applicable to URMs or minorities in a broader sense?

bk1

Diamond

Post by bk1 » Thu Sep 30, 2010 4:31 pm

As SEO is open to all minorities, I would assume diversity programs are as well though I could be wrong.

Stanford4Me

Platinum

Post by Stanford4Me » Thu Sep 30, 2010 4:45 pm

romothesavior wrote:
dood wrote:PSA for all URMs: TALK TO UR CDO NOW. id estimate at least 20-30 1L SA + schollys from big firms u can apply to, prolly alot more. dunno about ur school, GW has a special diversity career counselor that sends all this info out.

second of all, even non-urm 1L have chances. whoever the fuck said NALP was not helpful obviously never looked at NALP.....u can search by what firms higher 1L SAs...
PSA: Aside from NALP being helpful, they also have guidelines. Your CSO/CDO is not allowed to give advice until November, so do not TALK TO THEM NOW.
No dood. You got to ignore the authorities. Do wut you got to do, even if that includes reminding yourself in the mirror, every day, that you don't want to be just a good lawyer, you want to be a great litigator.

I'm thinking about applying for some diversity fellowships for my 1L summer. Weighing that against the option of doing public interest work internationally (which is really appealing to me).

Stanford4Me

Platinum

Post by Stanford4Me » Thu Sep 30, 2010 4:47 pm

Anonymous User wrote:

I don't know about NYC, but in Texas it is very common for 1L SAs to be given a 2L offer.
That almost brought tears to my eyes. Good to know.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

bmwhype2

New

Post by bmwhype2 » Mon Dec 06, 2010 11:26 am

romothesavior wrote:
dood wrote:PSA for all URMs: TALK TO UR CDO NOW. id estimate at least 20-30 1L SA + schollys from big firms u can apply to, prolly alot more. dunno about ur school, GW has a special diversity career counselor that sends all this info out.

second of all, even non-urm 1L have chances. whoever the fuck said NALP was not helpful obviously never looked at NALP.....u can search by what firms higher 1L SAs...
PSA: Aside from NALP being helpful, they also have guidelines. Your CSO/CDO is not allowed to give advice until November, so do not TALK TO THEM NOW.
Why is that? IS it for all schools? (0L asking here)

JJDancer

Gold

Post by JJDancer » Mon Dec 06, 2010 11:42 am

bmwhype2 wrote:
romothesavior wrote:

It refers to your school's career services office.
EDIT: Read "why" as "What" :oops: oops.
Stanford answered it though.
Last edited by JJDancer on Mon Dec 06, 2010 10:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Stanford4Me

Platinum

Post by Stanford4Me » Mon Dec 06, 2010 12:52 pm

bmwhype2 wrote:
NALP rule. They want 1Ls to focus on grades and not jobs. Then they tell you that grades don't matter as much as we think they do :roll:

concurrent fork

Silver

Post by concurrent fork » Mon Dec 06, 2010 1:56 pm

Anonymous User wrote: Work experience URM/minority status is the most important factor for getting a 1L SA.
Anonymous User wrote: It's always a crapshoot, but I think you stand a damn fine chance of getting a position.
I don't think I would characterize anyone as having a "damn fine chance" of getting a 1L SA gig, nevermind the fact that OP is a non-URM (I assume) at a T30. What market have you been living in for the past 3 years?

Edit: just realized this thread was from 3 months ago...

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Dec 06, 2010 8:51 pm

Doesn't Wachtell have a diversity program?

If you want to work as a 1L SA apply to Houston. I'm a 2L at Columbia and I know of at least 4 people who worked there 1L summer. All were from TX.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Dec 06, 2010 11:12 pm

I know the following firms hired 1L summers from my school last year:

Wachtell
S&C (an office in California, I think)
Weil (NYC, I think)
Kirkland (NYC)
Paul, Weiss (NYC)
Ropes & Gray (NYC)
Milbank (NYC)

That's all I know. The SA's were mostly URM's. The few non-URM's were people with high GPA's and i-banking background. And yes, one of the non-URM's is an Olympic gold medalist.

Edited to add Milbank.
Last edited by Anonymous User on Mon Dec 06, 2010 11:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Dec 06, 2010 11:34 pm

You can add Milbank to that list, but I'm not sure if non-olympians qualify: http://abovethelaw.com/2010/08/summer-a ... e-of-wine/

JJDancer

Gold

Post by JJDancer » Mon Dec 06, 2010 11:41 pm

Anonymous User wrote:I know the following firms hired 1L summers from my school last year:

Wachtell
Weil (NYC, I think)
Kirkland (NYC)
Paul, Weiss (NYC)
Ropes & Gray (NYC)

That's all I know. The SA's were mostly URM's. The few non-URM's were people with high GPA's and i-banking background.
Do you mind PMing me your school or at least its approximate ranking?
Thanks.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Dec 06, 2010 11:45 pm

Anonymous User wrote:You can add Milbank to that list, but I'm not sure if non-olympians qualify: http://abovethelaw.com/2010/08/summer-a ... e-of-wine/
Oh yeah. I forgot about her.
JJDancer wrote:Do you mind PMing me your school or at least its approximate ranking?
Thanks.
(In light of the abovethelaw post) I might as well reveal the school: Columbia.

Kohinoor

Gold

Post by Kohinoor » Mon Dec 06, 2010 11:55 pm

Anonymous User wrote:I know the following firms hired 1L summers from my school last year:

Wachtell
Weil (NYC, I think)
Kirkland (NYC)
Paul, Weiss (NYC)
Ropes & Gray (NYC)
Milbank (NYC)

That's all I know. The SA's were mostly URM's. The few non-URM's were people with high GPA's and i-banking background. And yes, one of the non-URM's is an Olympic gold medalist.

Edited to add Milbank.
I know a few more firms and at least one of them picked up a non-URM, non-IB.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Dec 07, 2010 2:44 pm

Quick question:

Got a snail-mail rejection letter from a firm (well, a "we're not hiring 1Ls" letter). But in it the recruiting coordinator gave me a phone number and asked me to call her to talk about the firm and "answer any questions about us you might have". It ended with a handwritten "we hope you'll seriously consider applying with us next year."

Doesn't seem like a form letter (in fact, felt a little like law school apps again), but I'm not sure if this is something that normally happens. I very much like the firm; it's one of my top 2-3 choices in a medium-sized market to which I have ties. Thoughts?

Diamond

Post by 09042014 » Tue Dec 07, 2010 4:21 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Quick question:

Got a snail-mail rejection letter from a firm (well, a "we're not hiring 1Ls" letter). But in it the recruiting coordinator gave me a phone number and asked me to call her to talk about the firm and "answer any questions about us you might have". It ended with a handwritten "we hope you'll seriously consider applying with us next year."

Doesn't seem like a form letter (in fact, felt a little like law school apps again), but I'm not sure if this is something that normally happens. I very much like the firm; it's one of my top 2-3 choices in a medium-sized market to which I have ties. Thoughts?
"Call her to talk about the firm and 'answer any questions about us you might have'" and then "applying with [them] next year."

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

2LLLL

Bronze

Post by 2LLLL » Tue Dec 07, 2010 4:33 pm

Sounds like she is basically inviting you to set up an informational interview. I would recommend doing it.

warumnicht

New

Post by warumnicht » Tue Dec 07, 2010 4:36 pm

Unless the recruiting coordinator said something else, this is very much a form letter.

However, if you really like the firm, you should call and chat with her. When you apply next year, you'll be better informed about it and already have a connection, so you'll have a much better shot at a) drafting a great targeted cover letter if they are not coming to OCI ("I was delighted to discuss your real estate practice with you in January, and that confirmed my desire to work for your firm as a summer associate") and b) acing your interview because you'll have more to talk about. Do it!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Dec 07, 2010 7:20 pm

warumnicht wrote:

Unless the recruiting coordinator said something else, this is very much a form letter.

However, if you really like the firm, you should call and chat with her. When you apply next year, you'll be better informed about it and already have a connection, so you'll have a much better shot at a) drafting a great targeted cover letter if they are not coming to OCI ("I was delighted to discuss your real estate practice with you in January, and that confirmed my desire to work for your firm as a summer associate") and b) acing your interview because you'll have more to talk about. Do it!
Agree. Pre-interview meetings are helpful because it shows you are interested and gives you something to talk about in an interview. As much as people make fun of networking it is useful in certain circumstances. I got my summer position at a big firm through OCI, but had met with a partner at the firm 2 weeks before and it certainly didn't hurt my chances.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Dec 07, 2010 9:37 pm

Does Big4 hire 1Ls for summer internships?

I tried looking them up on the NALP directory and also their respective websites and could not find anything

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”