Thank you letters

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
User avatar
You Gotta Have Faith
Posts: 403
Joined: Sat May 02, 2009 5:04 am

Thank you letters

Postby You Gotta Have Faith » Wed Sep 29, 2010 8:50 pm

Okay, sorry if this has been answered at some point, because I imagine it has been. But here's my situation:

I had a call-back earlier. I was interviewed by +/- 12 attorneys, some associates and some partners, at a conference table. I was introduced to each of the attorneys, but it was clear that 2 of them were "in charge" and probably the ones making the decisions.

So, I want to send a thank you, as I presume that is proper etiquette, but am not sure how to go about doing that.

(1) Is a simplistic card acceptable, or should I stick with a more formal letter on resume paper?

(2) Who do I address it to? Ideally, I'd send one to all 12 attorneys. But realistically, I don't remember the names of all of them. Is it okay to address it to the guy(s) who were generally overseeing the group interview? Or would it be better to address one to the firm generally and thank them for interviewing me?

(3) Should I merely thank them for interviewing me or express enthusiasm about potentially working there as well?

Thanks y'all.

Aqualibrium
Posts: 2011
Joined: Tue Feb 24, 2009 5:57 am

Re: Thank you letters

Postby Aqualibrium » Wed Sep 29, 2010 8:53 pm

My advice, don't send a card. The market doesn't matter & what your cso says doesn't matter; from my experience, cards are a waste of time and can hurt you more than they can help.

If you must send a card, a simple thank you card with a hand written note is fine, but only send it to someone who you actually feel like you hit it off with, or had a memorable conversation with. Do not send a card just cuz.

User avatar
You Gotta Have Faith
Posts: 403
Joined: Sat May 02, 2009 5:04 am

Re: Thank you letters

Postby You Gotta Have Faith » Wed Sep 29, 2010 9:56 pm

Aqualibrium wrote:My advice, don't send a card. The market doesn't matter & what your cso says doesn't matter; from my experience, cards are a waste of time and can hurt you more than they can help.

If you must send a card, a simple thank you card with a hand written note is fine, but only send it to someone who you actually feel like you hit it off with, or had a memorable conversation with. Do not send a card just cuz.


Thanks for the response. I am curious to hear about your experience and why you think that would be a negative... specifically one following a callback. That would be more persuasive to me than just not sending one.

Anyone else have something to say?
I ask because practically every school I have looked up (that says anything about it on their site) says you should send something after a callback interview (but not after a screening interview). With that in mind, I am looking to send something. Any more thoughts?

A random sampling:
http://www.law.wisc.edu/career/thankyou_letters.html
http://www.law.berkeley.edu/1154.htm
http://www.law.duke.edu/career/profdev/communication
http://www.kentlaw.edu/depts/cso/handou ... nkyou.html

Anonymous User
Posts: 273269
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Thank you letters

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Sep 29, 2010 10:35 pm

I had 12 callbacks and 7 offers out of those 12. I didn't send a single thank you card, letter, email, whatever. It is a waste of time. It can hurt you if you say something stupid. It can't help you.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273269
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Thank you letters

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Sep 29, 2010 11:14 pm

I still am not sure what the consensus is on this. I had 6 callbacks and sent thank you letters to 3 firms: I got 2 offers from firms where I didn't send a TY, and 2 rejections from firms where I did (I'm still waiting on 2 - sent to one, not to the other).

I only sent or didn't send based on how lazy I was being the night after the callbacks.

Probably just coincidence, but I can't help thinking I must have sent some bad thank yous.

Update: Dinged at all 3 firms where I sent TYs, and offers at 2 where I did not. Still waiting on one that I didn't thank.
Last edited by Anonymous User on Fri Oct 01, 2010 3:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Aqualibrium
Posts: 2011
Joined: Tue Feb 24, 2009 5:57 am

Re: Thank you letters

Postby Aqualibrium » Wed Sep 29, 2010 11:50 pm

Anonymous User wrote:I still am not sure what the consensus is on this. I had 6 callbacks and sent thank you letters to 3 firms: I got 2 offers from firms where I didn't send a TY, and 2 rejections from firms where I did (I'm still waiting on 2 - sent to one, not to the other).

I only sent or didn't send based on how lazy I was being the night after the callbacks.

Probably just coincidence, but I can't help thinking I must have sent some bad thank yous.


There is no consensus, and like OP said, most schools (including mine) recommend it.

During 1L OCI I followed that advice, and sent out a thank you email to every screener, and a thank you card to every callback. The two offers I got were post screener with no callback, and for both of those offers I found out later that my thank you emails were blocked by the firms' spam filter.

That experience, and my conversations with the attorneys I worked with this summer clued me in that the whole thank you was really an unnecessary step.

As a 2L, I have not sent one thank you card or email to any firms. I've had a well over 60% interview to offer rate doing that. In fact, I actually had a hiring partner send me a hand written thank you card (blew my mind btw).

Conversley, I've had friends tell me that they got dinged immediately after sending an email/note with typos.

The attorneys you meet with are really just normal people. You shouldn't take them too seriously, and you shouldn't take this whole process too seriously. The only time I've sent thank you notes is to firms where I don't accept an offer, and to particular attorneys that I really hit it off with. Those are the only situations where the genuineness of the thank you really can't be questioned.
Last edited by Aqualibrium on Wed Sep 29, 2010 11:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273269
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Thank you letters

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Sep 29, 2010 11:51 pm

If you write a decent, personalized letter, it can definitely help. I wrote them (except for a few firms when I was lazy), and at a V-30 firm one of my interviewing partners wrote back and we started a correspondence which ultimately led to me getting an offer and being very comfortable in choosing the firm. Just make sure to be personal in each, and I recommend sending them by email, immediately following the callback (within 24 hours).

Anonymous User
Posts: 273269
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Thank you letters

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Sep 30, 2010 12:46 am

I wouldn't send it unless it's a secondary market/the South.

My results so far:
- Offer at firm where I did not send thank yous.
- Dinged at firm where I sent thank yous.
- Still pending after a week at firm where I sent thank yous.

I just finished a couple more callbacks, not sending thank yous, because I think they don't help but can hurt.

Aqualibrium
Posts: 2011
Joined: Tue Feb 24, 2009 5:57 am

Re: Thank you letters

Postby Aqualibrium » Thu Sep 30, 2010 4:45 am

Anonymous User wrote:I wouldn't send it unless it's a secondary market/the South.

My results so far:
- Offer at firm where I did not send thank yous.
- Dinged at firm where I sent thank yous.
- Still pending after a week at firm where I sent thank yous.

I just finished a couple more callbacks, not sending thank yous, because I think they don't help but can hurt.


I'm in the south, so I disagree with the idea that it is a must in markets here.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273269
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Thank you letters

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Oct 01, 2010 2:24 pm

My experience has been:

1 callback
1 thank you note
1 offer

I would have to think that some firms don't care at all, but it is a funny topic because everyone overlooks why to even send a thank you in the first place: It's POLITE! Sure typos might doom you, but if nothing else a firm would perceive you as a candidate with manners and who cares about the job.

If you send a REAL thank you (i.e., actually thanking them instead of sending a second cover letter), then I cannot imagine a firm would ding you for it. And even if they did, who the hell wants to work at a firm where manners are so actively discouraged?

Anonymous User
Posts: 273269
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Thank you letters

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Oct 01, 2010 2:47 pm

Aqualibrium wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:I wouldn't send it unless it's a secondary market/the South.

My results so far:
- Offer at firm where I did not send thank yous.
- Dinged at firm where I sent thank yous.
- Still pending after a week at firm where I sent thank yous.

I just finished a couple more callbacks, not sending thank yous, because I think they don't help but can hurt.


I'm in the south, so I disagree with the idea that it is a must in markets here.


Maybe. I interviewed with one firm in the South - they still haven't gotten back to me after over a week. I sent thank you notes, and I assume that the firm is going to ding me soon.

I think it'd be semi-hilarious if all the firms I sent thank you notes to dinged me while all the ones I didn't send thank you notes to gave me offers...

Anonymous User
Posts: 273269
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Thank you letters

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Oct 01, 2010 3:20 pm

If you're hoping to increase your chances of getting an offer, send an e-mail. Don't send cards - it'll take too long to get there, and chances are that the hiring committee will meet before anyone gets it.




Return to “Legal Employment”

Who is online

The online users are hidden on this forum.