Winston vs. Katten (Chicago) Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Winston vs. Katten (Chicago)

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Sep 29, 2010 6:55 pm

Try as I might I cannot make up my mind between these two firms. No one from my school has gone to Katten for the past few years, so it's been hard trying to get information. I'm trying to make a list of pros and cons, any thoughts? For litigation, specifically.

Anonymous User

Re: Winston vs. Katten (Chicago)

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Sep 29, 2010 7:18 pm

bump

boolaw

New

Post by boolaw » Wed Sep 29, 2010 10:45 pm

If it's for litigation, either of those firms would be a good choice. I think it really comes down to firm culture. Which firm do you think you would better fit into? Did you particularly like the people at one firm or the other? If you're very indecisive, go visit each firm again and talk to the lawyers. See what the associates say and what the partners are like.

I don't think you could go wrong with either of these firms. Just try to figure out what is the best fit for you.

boolaw

New

Post by boolaw » Wed Sep 29, 2010 10:48 pm

Also, I would suggest looking at their summer associate to permanent offer rate. According to NALP, Katten had 15 summer associates in 2009, but only gave offers to 8 (yikes). Winston also did not have a spectacular offer rate, but a partner I talked to indicated that 2009 was the exception. Generally, they intend to give offers to the people they take on for the summer (but you can disqualify yourself through bad work/behavior).

That being said, I personally liked Katten a lot. I wouldn't discount them, but it's something to consider.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Sep 30, 2010 5:01 am

boolaw wrote:Also, I would suggest looking at their summer associate to permanent offer rate. According to NALP, Katten had 15 summer associates in 2009, but only gave offers to 8 (yikes). Winston also did not have a spectacular offer rate, but a partner I talked to indicated that 2009 was the exception. Generally, they intend to give offers to the people they take on for the summer (but you can disqualify yourself through bad work/behavior).

That being said, I personally liked Katten a lot. I wouldn't discount them, but it's something to consider.
2009 was also the exception for Katten. 2010 they gave 100% offers (but only 5 SA's this summer).

I liked Katten a lot as well.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Sep 30, 2010 9:14 am

boolaw wrote:If it's for litigation, either of those firms would be a good choice. I think it really comes down to firm culture. Which firm do you think you would better fit into? Did you particularly like the people at one firm or the other? If you're very indecisive, go visit each firm again and talk to the lawyers. See what the associates say and what the partners are like.

I don't think you could go wrong with either of these firms. Just try to figure out what is the best fit for you.
What if I'm not set on litigation and want to try different things- does that make the analysis any different?

I did look at all of the no-offer numbers but given that pretty much every firm did that, it's not very helpful. But, I did hear that Katten actually rescinded some offers which is annoying.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Sep 30, 2010 11:05 am

bump?

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”