NY MidLevel Associate Taking Questions

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
NYMidLevel
Posts: 18
Joined: Wed Sep 29, 2010 2:35 pm

NY MidLevel Associate Taking Questions

Postby NYMidLevel » Wed Sep 29, 2010 2:59 pm

MidLevel BigLaw Associate here, taking questions for a little while on a slow day...

Anonymous User
Posts: 273597
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: NY MidLevel Associate Taking Questions

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Sep 29, 2010 3:04 pm

You have slow days? How often does that happen?

spondee
Posts: 462
Joined: Thu Feb 19, 2009 6:53 pm

Re: NY MidLevel Associate Taking Questions

Postby spondee » Wed Sep 29, 2010 3:10 pm

What practice area do you work in? What do you like least and most about it?

NYMidLevel
Posts: 18
Joined: Wed Sep 29, 2010 2:35 pm

Re: NY MidLevel Associate Taking Questions

Postby NYMidLevel » Wed Sep 29, 2010 3:12 pm

I'm in transactional, so slow days are actually pretty often. While it's been a busy 2010 for the most part, between deals or post-signing things often hit lulls. Hours come in chunks.

I'm in corporate. I like working with clients, being at the forefront of the deal, running the show. Don't like the unpredicatability of the hours at times and silly client demands.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273597
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: NY MidLevel Associate Taking Questions

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Sep 29, 2010 3:15 pm

Are you a BigLaw associate a few years in, or an associate at a mid-level law firm? Bit confused. If it's the former, any thoughts about what to do if you strike out getting into BigLaw as a 2L? If it's the latter, how does your pay conform to that of your compatriots in BigLaw?

User avatar
RVP11
Posts: 2774
Joined: Tue Nov 06, 2007 6:32 pm

Re: NY MidLevel Associate Taking Questions

Postby RVP11 » Wed Sep 29, 2010 3:19 pm

NYMidLevel wrote:I'm in transactional, so slow days are actually pretty often. While it's been a busy 2010 for the most part, between deals or post-signing things often hit lulls. Hours come in chunks.

I'm in corporate. I like working with clients, being at the forefront of the deal, running the show. Don't like the unpredicatability of the hours at times and silly client demands.


When did headhunters start calling you? First year? Second year? Not until you were a midlevel?

What do you feel your current exit options are?

Baskin
Posts: 20
Joined: Fri Sep 10, 2010 4:27 pm

Re: NY MidLevel Associate Taking Questions

Postby Baskin » Wed Sep 29, 2010 3:25 pm

What kinds of unpredictability issues do you face the most and do you think those are firm specific, client specific or general issues across nyc biglaw corporate practice?

NYMidLevel
Posts: 18
Joined: Wed Sep 29, 2010 2:35 pm

Re: NY MidLevel Associate Taking Questions

Postby NYMidLevel » Wed Sep 29, 2010 3:30 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Are you a BigLaw associate a few years in, or an associate at a mid-level law firm? Bit confused. If it's the former, any thoughts about what to do if you strike out getting into BigLaw as a 2L? If it's the latter, how does your pay conform to that of your compatriots in BigLaw?


Sorry for the confusion. BigLaw associate, a few years in. If you strike out getting into BigLaw as a 2L, my advice is to try for the best government / midlaw job you can get (think DA, ADA, AUSA, SEC, FINRA, etc.) that has a reasonable tie to what you want to do (i.e., if you want to do lit, go to a DA/AUSA/public defender, etc.; if you want to do corp, go to a financial regulatory body, etc.). Talk to your professors; whichever class you did your best in, go to such a prof and ask for help (they probably have barely any idea / recollection about the process, but they may have friends).

But, most importantly, rock your classes 2L year (both so you look better as a 3L and so you can repeat the above recommendations if you strike out again).

NYMidLevel
Posts: 18
Joined: Wed Sep 29, 2010 2:35 pm

Re: NY MidLevel Associate Taking Questions

Postby NYMidLevel » Wed Sep 29, 2010 3:31 pm

RVP11 wrote:
NYMidLevel wrote:I'm in transactional, so slow days are actually pretty often. While it's been a busy 2010 for the most part, between deals or post-signing things often hit lulls. Hours come in chunks.

I'm in corporate. I like working with clients, being at the forefront of the deal, running the show. Don't like the unpredicatability of the hours at times and silly client demands.


When did headhunters start calling you? First year? Second year? Not until you were a midlevel?

What do you feel your current exit options are?


Been getting headhunter calls for a long, long time now (though the nature of those calls has changed over the years). Feel like I could pretty easily go in-house at a corporation or a fund (I'm sort of an "upper-mid-level"); considering my options (I'm reasonably happy with my current employer).

NYMidLevel
Posts: 18
Joined: Wed Sep 29, 2010 2:35 pm

Re: NY MidLevel Associate Taking Questions

Postby NYMidLevel » Wed Sep 29, 2010 3:34 pm

Baskin wrote:What kinds of unpredictability issues do you face the most and do you think those are firm specific, client specific or general issues across nyc biglaw corporate practice?


Think most are general issues across NYC biglaw corporate, though it's often client and deal-specific. For example, some clients like to save money in the short term so they don't call you until late in the process, meaning there's a lot to catch up on and a short period in which to do it. Or sometimes you need to suddenly revise a doc because it comes in at 6 PM on friday and your client wants to keep the pressure on (so bye-bye weekend).

User avatar
let/them/eat/cake
Posts: 595
Joined: Thu Feb 12, 2009 7:20 pm

Re: NY MidLevel Associate Taking Questions

Postby let/them/eat/cake » Wed Sep 29, 2010 3:42 pm

NYMidLevel wrote:
RVP11 wrote:
NYMidLevel wrote:I'm in transactional, so slow days are actually pretty often. While it's been a busy 2010 for the most part, between deals or post-signing things often hit lulls. Hours come in chunks.

I'm in corporate. I like working with clients, being at the forefront of the deal, running the show. Don't like the unpredicatability of the hours at times and silly client demands.


When did headhunters start calling you? First year? Second year? Not until you were a midlevel?

What do you feel your current exit options are?


Been getting headhunter calls for a long, long time now (though the nature of those calls has changed over the years). Feel like I could pretty easily go in-house at a corporation or a fund (I'm sort of an "upper-mid-level"); considering my options (I'm reasonably happy with my current employer).


anything more specific than "in corporate"? how has the quality of work you've received progressed over the course of your career? do you find you are still interested intellectually in the work you are doing or is it becoming old-hat at this point? also wondering what kind of level of firm we are looking at here--V10, V20, V50? not trying to out you, just curious.

NYMidLevel
Posts: 18
Joined: Wed Sep 29, 2010 2:35 pm

Re: NY MidLevel Associate Taking Questions

Postby NYMidLevel » Wed Sep 29, 2010 3:48 pm

let/them/eat/cake wrote:
anything more specific than "in corporate"? how has the quality of work you've received progressed over the course of your career? do you find you are still interested intellectually in the work you are doing or is it becoming old-hat at this point? also wondering what kind of level of firm we are looking at here--V10, V20, V50? not trying to out you, just curious.


V20, M&A. Quality of work has continued to progress as I get more senior; there are a number of things I feel pretty comfortable with but certainly areas I still want/need to learn more about.

User avatar
RVP11
Posts: 2774
Joined: Tue Nov 06, 2007 6:32 pm

Re: NY MidLevel Associate Taking Questions

Postby RVP11 » Wed Sep 29, 2010 3:58 pm

NYMidLevel wrote:
RVP11 wrote:
NYMidLevel wrote:I'm in transactional, so slow days are actually pretty often. While it's been a busy 2010 for the most part, between deals or post-signing things often hit lulls. Hours come in chunks.

I'm in corporate. I like working with clients, being at the forefront of the deal, running the show. Don't like the unpredicatability of the hours at times and silly client demands.


When did headhunters start calling you? First year? Second year? Not until you were a midlevel?

What do you feel your current exit options are?


Been getting headhunter calls for a long, long time now (though the nature of those calls has changed over the years). Feel like I could pretty easily go in-house at a corporation or a fund (I'm sort of an "upper-mid-level"); considering my options (I'm reasonably happy with my current employer).


How long? When did you start getting them?

NYMidLevel
Posts: 18
Joined: Wed Sep 29, 2010 2:35 pm

Re: NY MidLevel Associate Taking Questions

Postby NYMidLevel » Wed Sep 29, 2010 4:11 pm

RVP11 wrote:
NYMidLevel wrote:
RVP11 wrote:
NYMidLevel wrote:I'm in transactional, so slow days are actually pretty often. While it's been a busy 2010 for the most part, between deals or post-signing things often hit lulls. Hours come in chunks.

I'm in corporate. I like working with clients, being at the forefront of the deal, running the show. Don't like the unpredicatability of the hours at times and silly client demands.


When did headhunters start calling you? First year? Second year? Not until you were a midlevel?

What do you feel your current exit options are?


Been getting headhunter calls for a long, long time now (though the nature of those calls has changed over the years). Feel like I could pretty easily go in-house at a corporation or a fund (I'm sort of an "upper-mid-level"); considering my options (I'm reasonably happy with my current employer).


How long? When did you start getting them?


Not totally sure. I remember receiving them maybe as early as end of my first year (different market).

Anonymous User
Posts: 273597
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: NY MidLevel Associate Taking Questions

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Sep 29, 2010 4:11 pm

what have your litigation midlevel d00ds left to do? gov't? any in-house?

NYMidLevel
Posts: 18
Joined: Wed Sep 29, 2010 2:35 pm

Re: NY MidLevel Associate Taking Questions

Postby NYMidLevel » Wed Sep 29, 2010 4:16 pm

Anonymous User wrote:what have your litigation midlevel d00ds left to do? gov't? any in-house?


Mostly government, public interest, smaller firms. A few in-house but it's a relative rarity.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273597
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: NY MidLevel Associate Taking Questions

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Sep 29, 2010 4:19 pm

If I start in NYC BIGLAW how easy to lateral to secondary market (Texas)?

Anonymous User
Posts: 273597
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: NY MidLevel Associate Taking Questions

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Sep 29, 2010 4:20 pm

I have an interview at a V30 in a few days. I'm a 3L so its for an in actual associate position in the corporate department. What types of questions do you think I will get? Also, can you think of any good questions for me to ask when its my turn?

NYMidLevel
Posts: 18
Joined: Wed Sep 29, 2010 2:35 pm

Re: NY MidLevel Associate Taking Questions

Postby NYMidLevel » Wed Sep 29, 2010 8:16 pm

Anonymous User wrote:If I start in NYC BIGLAW how easy to lateral to secondary market (Texas)?


Depends on firm, practice group, reason for moving, etc. I know a few people who made the move in capital markets, M&A, project finance. Definitely doable.

NYMidLevel
Posts: 18
Joined: Wed Sep 29, 2010 2:35 pm

Re: NY MidLevel Associate Taking Questions

Postby NYMidLevel » Wed Sep 29, 2010 8:18 pm

Anonymous User wrote:I have an interview at a V30 in a few days. I'm a 3L so its for an in actual associate position in the corporate department. What types of questions do you think I will get? Also, can you think of any good questions for me to ask when its my turn?


Some to you:

Why are you re-interviewing and/or why weren't you at a firm last summer?
Why would you want to work here or what can you bring to the table?
Why do you want to work in practice group X?

Some for you:

What made you end up choosing firm/practice group?
What's the hardest thing about your job?
What's the best part about your job?
How are assignments distributed? Any issues with that system?
I notice your firm/practice group features X, could you tell me a little bit about how that works in practice?

Anonymous User
Posts: 273597
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: NY MidLevel Associate Taking Questions

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Sep 29, 2010 9:00 pm

What advice would you give to new associates?

User avatar
Richie Tenenbaum
Posts: 2162
Joined: Wed Dec 31, 2008 6:17 am

Re: NY MidLevel Associate Taking Questions

Postby Richie Tenenbaum » Wed Sep 29, 2010 9:06 pm

Any law school classes that you were extremely glad you took that helped from day 1? Any classes you wish you had taken?

Anonymous User
Posts: 273597
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: NY MidLevel Associate Taking Questions

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Sep 29, 2010 9:53 pm

I know it's unpredictable and varies considerably, but generally speaking, how many hours do you work a week?

On average, how many hours does a 1st year associate in your group work per week? I don't mean billable hours, I mean hours actually spent in the office.

Thanks.

NYMidLevel
Posts: 18
Joined: Wed Sep 29, 2010 2:35 pm

Re: NY MidLevel Associate Taking Questions

Postby NYMidLevel » Thu Sep 30, 2010 10:03 am

Richie Tenenbaum wrote:Any law school classes that you were extremely glad you took that helped from day 1? Any classes you wish you had taken?


Corporations was an absolute must (for any practice). Securities and federal income tax are also really useful. Other than that I think it depends on practice groups a little.

Anonymous User wrote:I know it's unpredictable and varies considerably, but generally speaking, how many hours do you work a week?

On average, how many hours does a 1st year associate in your group work per week? I don't mean billable hours, I mean hours actually spent in the office.

Thanks.


There really is no generally - and average is silly. It can range from 20-30 to 80-90. Really depends if I'm on a busy deal or not.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273597
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: NY MidLevel Associate Taking Questions

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Sep 30, 2010 8:08 pm

How long do you think you need to work at a large firm in the corporate practice to become marketable to in-house positions? You mention you got calls as early as the end of 1st year, but I'm curious about desirable positions.

Any advice for 1st year corporate associates? Did you research legal issues a lot as a 1st year associate/2nd year associate? Or mostly just due diligence? Do you think this experience was typical?

What are the best exit options coming from a corporate group? By that I mean most highly sought after and best balance of hours to pay (with pay probably with a heavier weight). I realize this is somewhat of a subjective question, but I'd like to hear your thoughts. I want to start thinking about gravitating towards specific types of corporate work (if possible) so I have better options, should I choose to ever leave.

Thanks for sharing.




Return to “Legal Employment”

Who is online

The online users are hidden on this forum.