NYC entry salary after taxes

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
User avatar
IzziesGal
Posts: 764
Joined: Sat Oct 04, 2008 6:11 pm

Re: NYC entry salary after taxes

Postby IzziesGal » Wed Sep 29, 2010 11:00 am

Kohinoor wrote:
MrKappus wrote:@Anonymous [2nd poster]: LOL re: $1666.67/month projected rent. Maybe in parts of Brooklyn. Or Queens.

Knew a biglaw dood who commuted in from Flushing and another who came in from Connecticut. No real reason to stay in Manhattan.


+1 to this. Commuted into Manhattan from the NJ suburbs (where rent ranges from 1100/month for a 2 BR in the true burbs and 2000/month for a one bedroom on the water in Jersey City) and will do it again. Also, it's nice to leave the city behind at the end of the day. It can get a bit overwhelming.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273183
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: NYC entry salary after taxes

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Sep 29, 2010 11:10 am

Tacitus wrote: Can you really put a price on being able to pub crawl until 2am and then crawl home?


I think we can. What's the Betty Ford Clinic going rate these days?

op-ti
Posts: 128
Joined: Mon Dec 28, 2009 1:36 pm

Re: NYC entry salary after taxes

Postby op-ti » Wed Sep 29, 2010 11:11 am

IzziesGal wrote:
Kohinoor wrote:
MrKappus wrote:@Anonymous [2nd poster]: LOL re: $1666.67/month projected rent. Maybe in parts of Brooklyn. Or Queens.

Knew a biglaw dood who commuted in from Flushing and another who came in from Connecticut. No real reason to stay in Manhattan.


+1 to this. Commuted into Manhattan from the NJ suburbs (where rent ranges from 1100/month for a 2 BR in the true burbs and 2000/month for a one bedroom on the water in Jersey City) and will do it again. Also, it's nice to leave the city behind at the end of the day. It can get a bit overwhelming.



Commute from Westchester ftw!

Takes me 20 mins on the express to get to midtown 8)

User avatar
IzziesGal
Posts: 764
Joined: Sat Oct 04, 2008 6:11 pm

Re: NYC entry salary after taxes

Postby IzziesGal » Wed Sep 29, 2010 11:29 am

op-ti wrote:
IzziesGal wrote:
Kohinoor wrote:
MrKappus wrote:@Anonymous [2nd poster]: LOL re: $1666.67/month projected rent. Maybe in parts of Brooklyn. Or Queens.

Knew a biglaw dood who commuted in from Flushing and another who came in from Connecticut. No real reason to stay in Manhattan.


+1 to this. Commuted into Manhattan from the NJ suburbs (where rent ranges from 1100/month for a 2 BR in the true burbs and 2000/month for a one bedroom on the water in Jersey City) and will do it again. Also, it's nice to leave the city behind at the end of the day. It can get a bit overwhelming.



Commute from Westchester ftw!

Takes me 20 mins on the express to get to midtown 8)


Whoa - really? My hubby and I didn't like Brooklyn (reminds us exactly of Jersey City....and Jersey City is a shit ton cheaper), so we were looking at Westchester for suburbs - but friends warned us it takes hours to get into the city. Is this not true? Where are you that it only takes 20 mins and is it super expensive? We're looking for suburbs. Kinda want to pick a place and settle there for a while. We're both sick of moving around so much.

Edit: I'll be working in the district, not midtown, which can make a huge difference.

op-ti
Posts: 128
Joined: Mon Dec 28, 2009 1:36 pm

Re: NYC entry salary after taxes

Postby op-ti » Wed Sep 29, 2010 11:36 am

IzziesGal wrote:
Whoa - really? My hubby and I didn't like Brooklyn (reminds us exactly of Jersey City....and Jersey City is a shit ton cheaper), so we were looking at Westchester for suburbs - but friends warned us it takes hours to get into the city. Is this not true? Where are you that it only takes 20 mins and is it super expensive? We're looking for suburbs. Kinda want to pick a place and settle there for a while. We're both sick of moving around so much.


Express train is the trick.

Otherwise non-express train takes around 35 mins--and unlike NYC subway...the Metro North is wayyy cleaner and comfy, which makes ppl. tiered and believe that its taking forever to get to the city :roll:

Oh, and I pay 1585 for a two bedroom. Very CLEAN and SAFE area :D
Last edited by op-ti on Wed Sep 29, 2010 12:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
IzziesGal
Posts: 764
Joined: Sat Oct 04, 2008 6:11 pm

Re: NYC entry salary after taxes

Postby IzziesGal » Wed Sep 29, 2010 11:45 am

op-ti wrote:
IzziesGal wrote:
Whoa - really? My hubby and I didn't like Brooklyn (reminds us exactly of Jersey City....and Jersey City is a shit ton cheaper), so we were looking at Westchester for suburbs - but friends warned us it takes hours to get into the city. Is this not true? Where are you that it only takes 20 mins and is it super expensive? We're looking for suburbs. Kinda want to pick a place and settle there for a while. We're both sick of moving around so much.


Express train is the trick.

Otherwise non-express train takes around 35 mins--and unlike NYC subway...the Metro North is wayyy cleaner and comfy, which makes ppl. tiered and believe that its taking forever to get to the city :roll:

Hint: look up someplace on the Harlem Line (check out once of the nice classy towns one you're past Fordham, BX) :mrgreen:

Oh, and I pay 1585 for a two bedroom. Very CLEAN and SAFE area :D


Awesome - thanks for the tip! Any specific towns you think are worth checking out (easy commute/affordable/suburban)?

op-ti
Posts: 128
Joined: Mon Dec 28, 2009 1:36 pm

Re: NYC entry salary after taxes

Postby op-ti » Wed Sep 29, 2010 12:23 pm

IzziesGal wrote:
op-ti wrote:
IzziesGal wrote:
Whoa - really? My hubby and I didn't like Brooklyn (reminds us exactly of Jersey City....and Jersey City is a shit ton cheaper), so we were looking at Westchester for suburbs - but friends warned us it takes hours to get into the city. Is this not true? Where are you that it only takes 20 mins and is it super expensive? We're looking for suburbs. Kinda want to pick a place and settle there for a while. We're both sick of moving around so much.


Express train is the trick.

Otherwise non-express train takes around 35 mins--and unlike NYC subway...the Metro North is wayyy cleaner and comfy, which makes ppl. tiered and believe that its taking forever to get to the city :roll:

Hint: look up someplace on the Harlem Line (check out once of the nice classy towns one you're past Fordham, BX) :mrgreen:

Oh, and I pay 1585 for a two bedroom. Very CLEAN and SAFE area :D


Awesome - thanks for the tip! Any specific towns you think are worth checking out (easy commute/affordable/suburban)?



pm'ed you :wink:

spondee
Posts: 462
Joined: Thu Feb 19, 2009 6:53 pm

Re: NYC entry salary after taxes

Postby spondee » Wed Sep 29, 2010 12:26 pm

op-ti wrote:
IzziesGal wrote:
Whoa - really? My hubby and I didn't like Brooklyn (reminds us exactly of Jersey City....and Jersey City is a shit ton cheaper), so we were looking at Westchester for suburbs - but friends warned us it takes hours to get into the city. Is this not true? Where are you that it only takes 20 mins and is it super expensive? We're looking for suburbs. Kinda want to pick a place and settle there for a while. We're both sick of moving around so much.


Express train is the trick.

Otherwise non-express train takes around 35 mins--and unlike NYC subway...the Metro North is wayyy cleaner and comfy, which makes ppl. tiered and believe that its taking forever to get to the city :roll:

Oh, and I pay 1585 for a two bedroom. Very CLEAN and SAFE area :D


Do express trains on Metro North run 24/7?

spondee
Posts: 462
Joined: Thu Feb 19, 2009 6:53 pm

Re: NYC entry salary after taxes

Postby spondee » Wed Sep 29, 2010 12:40 pm

IzziesGal wrote:My hubby and I didn't like Brooklyn (reminds us exactly of Jersey City....and Jersey City is a shit ton cheaper)...


Maybe you should explore Brooklyn some more? It's far, far larger than Jersey City and much more diverse. If Brooklyn were still its own city, it'd be the country's fourth largest - larger than Houston, Phoenix, Philadelphia, etc.

I don't mean to tell you you're wrong. Brooklyn's not for everyone, but my instinct is that if you equate Brooklyn and Jersey City, then you haven't spent much time in much of Brooklyn. You might find a neighborhood that you really like.

User avatar
BruceWayne
Posts: 2032
Joined: Sat Aug 14, 2010 9:36 pm

Re: NYC entry salary after taxes

Postby BruceWayne » Wed Sep 29, 2010 1:07 pm

WTH? You people are planning on working biglaw in NYC and not living in Manhattan? That's like sharing a bed with Halle Berry every night and only being able to "snuggle". Then again, that's pretty much what living in NYC with a salary under 500K is like period....

Anonymous User
Posts: 273183
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: NYC entry salary after taxes

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Sep 29, 2010 2:24 pm

op-ti wrote:
IzziesGal wrote:
Kohinoor wrote:
MrKappus wrote:@Anonymous [2nd poster]: LOL re: $1666.67/month projected rent. Maybe in parts of Brooklyn. Or Queens.

Knew a biglaw dood who commuted in from Flushing and another who came in from Connecticut. No real reason to stay in Manhattan.


+1 to this. Commuted into Manhattan from the NJ suburbs (where rent ranges from 1100/month for a 2 BR in the true burbs and 2000/month for a one bedroom on the water in Jersey City) and will do it again. Also, it's nice to leave the city behind at the end of the day. It can get a bit overwhelming.



Commute from Westchester ftw!

Takes me 20 mins on the express to get to midtown 8)


I love these stories - 20 mins to midtown from Westchester, 15 mins from Long Island, 10 seconds from Jersey etc etc. People who live in outlying areas (of any city, really, but I happen to live in New York, so am familiar with it) are either in complete denial about how far out they live, or else are pathological liars. Westchester is 20 mins from Midtown if you happen to have a teleporter or else a personal underground bullet train. Otherwise, it's more like an hour away.

20 mins from Midtown is Harlem. If you're lucky. That is to say, real door to door travel. If you happen to be leaving from the station agent booth at 145th and going to the station agent booth at 42nd, and the A train happens to come by one second after you swipe your Metrocard, then maybe it's 12 minutes. Most people don't consider only the transit portion of their commute their entire commute, considering that you have to walk to the station from your apartment, walk to the office, take into account schedule changes, repairs on the tracks, various sundry train delays and what not.

Generally speaking, Manhattan trains go north-south. That means that the closest places to Midtown are those adjacent to it - Chelsea, UWS, and so on. Brooklyn is closer to your work only if you work in the Financial District and you live in DUMBO.

This is not to say these aren't some great places to live. Williamsburg, Park Slope, Jersey City, Astoria, Long Island City - some of these places are quite nice, and WAY more cost-effective than Manhattan. But there's no need to overstate how close they are to Midtown - in fact, for people unfamiliar with the area, you're only doing them a disfavor by misleading them about where you're suggesting they live.

User avatar
MrKappus
Posts: 1685
Joined: Tue Mar 31, 2009 2:46 am

Re: NYC entry salary after taxes

Postby MrKappus » Wed Sep 29, 2010 2:30 pm

^ THANK YOU. Thanks for saying it. Reading these commuter posts, I was convinced these ppl had lived in a different Manhattan than I did.

1Levening2013
Posts: 74
Joined: Mon Oct 05, 2009 11:13 am

Re: NYC entry salary after taxes

Postby 1Levening2013 » Wed Sep 29, 2010 2:31 pm

wow i really dont think i could have said it any better myself...thanks anon

User avatar
rayiner
Posts: 6184
Joined: Thu Dec 11, 2008 11:43 am

Re: NYC entry salary after taxes

Postby rayiner » Wed Sep 29, 2010 2:50 pm

BruceWayne wrote:WTH? You people are planning on working biglaw in NYC and not living in Manhattan? That's like sharing a bed with Halle Berry every night and only being able to "snuggle". Then again, that's pretty much what living in NYC with a salary under 500K is like period....


Except in this analogy Halle Berry has STDs.

spondee
Posts: 462
Joined: Thu Feb 19, 2009 6:53 pm

Re: NYC entry salary after taxes

Postby spondee » Wed Sep 29, 2010 2:52 pm

Half of it is wrong, and much of it is way overstated.

DUMBO has one subway: the F. The F doesn't go to the Financial District, at all. The A/C trains are nearby on the border with Brooklyn Heights, but that's a trek for most of DUMBO.

LIC is right across the river from Midtown - much closer than Harlem! It's not a long commute. Astoria isn't much farther.

The Q & B trains go from downtown Brooklyn to Midtown very quickly. I've walked out my apartment door and been in Times Sqr 20 minutes later; Google Maps pegs the same commute as 22 min.

The Lower East Side, most of the East Village, west Chelsea, much of Harlem - there are many parts of Manhattan that are more difficult to get to/from Midtown than neighborhoods in Queens and Brooklyn.

I agree with the overall point: us bridge-and-tunnel types often name the time of our commutes based only on the time on the train, significantly misrepresenting it. But many of those additional time costs - walking to/from the train, train delays, waiting for the train to arrive - are constants no matter where you live, and the trains themselves generally go fast enough that extra distance doesn't add much extra time.

Someone is much better off picking potential neighborhoods AFTER knowing the address of the firm and looking at the routes of nearby trains. But crossing the East River doesn't automatically mean a 45-minute commute.

User avatar
rayiner
Posts: 6184
Joined: Thu Dec 11, 2008 11:43 am

Re: NYC entry salary after taxes

Postby rayiner » Wed Sep 29, 2010 2:59 pm

As far as I can tell, Long Island City can probably be a 20 minute commute if you work near Grand Central.
Last edited by rayiner on Wed Sep 29, 2010 3:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.

op-ti
Posts: 128
Joined: Mon Dec 28, 2009 1:36 pm

Re: NYC entry salary after taxes

Postby op-ti » Wed Sep 29, 2010 3:06 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
I love these stories - 20 mins to midtown from Westchester, 15 mins from Long Island, 10 seconds from Jersey etc etc. People who live in outlying areas (of any city, really, but I happen to live in New York, so am familiar with it) are either in complete denial about how far out they live, or else are pathological liars. Westchester is 20 mins from Midtown if you happen to have a teleporter or else a personal underground bullet train. Otherwise, it's more like an hour away.

20 mins from Midtown is Harlem. If you're lucky. That is to say, real door to door travel. If you happen to be leaving from the station agent booth at 145th and going to the station agent booth at 42nd, and the A train happens to come by one second after you swipe your Metrocard, then maybe it's 12 minutes. Most people don't consider only the transit portion of their commute their entire commute, considering that you have to walk to the station from your apartment, walk to the office, take into account schedule changes, repairs on the tracks, various sundry train delays and what not.

Generally speaking, Manhattan trains go north-south. That means that the closest places to Midtown are those adjacent to it - Chelsea, UWS, and so on. Brooklyn is closer to your work only if you work in the Financial District and you live in DUMBO.

This is not to say these aren't some great places to live. Williamsburg, Park Slope, Jersey City, Astoria, Long Island City - some of these places are quite nice, and WAY more cost-effective than Manhattan. But there's no need to overstate how close they are to Midtown - in fact, for people unfamiliar with the area, you're only doing them a disfavor by misleading them about where you're suggesting they live.


Firstly, It takes 10 mins from Harlem to Grand Central--its the last bloody stop or the first if you're going into Westchester.

See Below:


Departs GRAND CENTRAL HARLEM-125TH ST.

Depart Grand CT- Arriving Harlem-125th - Travel Time In Min.-Transfers(s)?-PeaK/OFF Peak

11:55 AM - 12:05 PM -10 - THROUGH TRAIN- OFF PEAK
12:20 PM -12:30 PM - 10 - THROUGH TRAIN -OFF PEAK
12:25 PM - 12:35 PM - 10 - THROUGH TRAIN -OFF PEAK
12:55 PM 1:05 PM - 10 - THROUGH TRAIN -OFF PEAK
1:20 PM 1:30 PM - 10 - THROUGH TRAIN -OFF PEAK
1:25 PM 1:35 PM - 10 - THROUGH TRAIN -OFF PEAK
1:55 PM 2:05 PM - 10 - THROUGH TRAIN- OFF PEAK
2:20 PM 2:30 PM - 10 - THROUGH TRAIN -OFF PEAK
2:25 PM 2:35 PM - 10 - THROUGH TRAIN -OFF PEAK
2:58 PM 3:08 PM - 10 - THROUGH TRAIN -OFF PEAK
3:20 PM 3:30 PM - 10 - THROUGH TRAIN -OFF PEAK
3:23 PM 3:33 PM - 10 - THROUGH TRAIN- OFF PEAK
3:56 PM 4:06 PM - 10 - THROUGH TRAIN -OFF PEAK
4:18 PM 4:28 PM - 10 - THROUGH TRAIN -PEAK
4:30 PM 4:40 PM - 10 - THROUGH TRAIN- PEAK
4:54 PM 5:04 PM - 10 - THROUGH TRAIN -PEAK
4:54 PM 5:04 PM - 10 - THROUGH TRAIN -PEAK
5:22 PM 5:32 PM - 10 - THROUGH TRAIN -PEAK



So it does in fact take me 20 mins. on an express train --AND it depends on where in Westchester you live.

If you live in White Plains...obviously it takes longer than 20 mins to get to Grand Central.

Now, I suggest you actually KNOW what you're talking about before posting (anon. at that--what's there to be anon about?).

If you have a problem...stay where you are.

I was not suggesting anyone anything (esp. not to get up and move right this very instant to where I live)...simply letting ppl. know there is another option if you work in Midtown. Sure, everyone has to go to different places. But I wanted the people who work in Midtown to maybe consider Westchester. It works for me...so I thought about throwing it out there--my bad for offending you :roll: Just as you can throw your .2, so can I :x

Strongly dislike "I know it all" type of people :roll:
Last edited by op-ti on Wed Sep 29, 2010 3:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
JennBNYC
Posts: 262
Joined: Mon Aug 17, 2009 2:50 pm

Re: NYC entry salary after taxes

Postby JennBNYC » Wed Sep 29, 2010 3:06 pm

Hoboken, not super cheap, but 5 mins from Hoboken PATH to Christopher St (the Village) and 15 minutes to Herald Square (midtown-ish). $54 an unlimited monthly pass and it goes 24/7.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273183
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: NYC entry salary after taxes

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Sep 29, 2010 3:09 pm

.
Last edited by Anonymous User on Tue Oct 05, 2010 8:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273183
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: NYC entry salary after taxes

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Sep 29, 2010 3:14 pm

spondee wrote:Half of it is wrong, and much of it is way overstated.



In other words, you didn't really read what I wrote, and you responded to what you wish I had written.

I didn't claim that all the neighborhood in Manhattan are closer to each other any off-island places. I gave one example (Dumbo to Financial D.) but there are many others, obviously. And yes, Dumbo is not well connected by subway, but it should be obvious that walking or biking or taking a taxi across Manhattan bridge is also an option. It should be equally obvious that most places in Manhattan *are* much closer to each other than to off-island places. Moreover, these places, even if they are located inconvenient to subways (such as West Chelsea or Spanish Harlem) , are still easily reachable by cab (not to mention cheaper) or else on foot - hey, this is New York, people walk everywhere. As a matter of fact, crossing the East River means more or less exactly what you said, at least a 45 minute commute, again, unless you live on Roosevelt Island and work on FDR drive.

And honestly, again, I really don't care. It's only people who live in these places that ever seem to care, and have this huge chip on their shoulder about it. When they're not shaving off 50% off their commute time, they're expanding neighborhoods to the size of Wyoming to make themselves feel like they live in cooler places - suddenly all the nether reaches of Flatbush become Park Slope, Jamaica becomes Astoria, and Hackensack becomes Jersey City.

User avatar
JennBNYC
Posts: 262
Joined: Mon Aug 17, 2009 2:50 pm

Re: NYC entry salary after taxes

Postby JennBNYC » Wed Sep 29, 2010 3:17 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Hoboken to Christopher Street is not 5 minutes. Can you count???


Actually, I do it every day, so yes, I can.
--LinkRemoved--
The entire ride is 14 minutes (Hoboken all the way to 33rd). This schedule says 8 minutes, but I've definitely timed it at 6 (train speed varies based on various conditions). Sorry I wrote 5 instead of 6 :roll:

Way to be a smart ass just for the sake of it.

User avatar
RVP11
Posts: 2774
Joined: Tue Nov 06, 2007 6:32 pm

Re: NYC entry salary after taxes

Postby RVP11 » Wed Sep 29, 2010 3:17 pm

What do y'all think about Roosevelt Island? Scary/creepy/convenient to midtown east?

Anonymous User
Posts: 273183
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: NYC entry salary after taxes

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Sep 29, 2010 3:18 pm

.
Last edited by Anonymous User on Tue Oct 05, 2010 8:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.

op-ti
Posts: 128
Joined: Mon Dec 28, 2009 1:36 pm

Re: NYC entry salary after taxes

Postby op-ti » Wed Sep 29, 2010 3:19 pm

JennBNYC wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Hoboken to Christopher Street is not 5 minutes. Can you count???


Actually, I do it every day, so yes, I can.
--LinkRemoved--
The entire ride is 14 minutes (Hoboken all the way to 33rd). This schedule says 8 minutes, but I've definitely timed it at 6 (train speed varies based on various conditions). Sorry I wrote 5 instead of 6 :roll:

Way to be a smart ass just for the sake of it.


I agree--that too anon. :roll:

You would think the people commute EVERY freakin day would know better than jerks who think they know/run the entire NEW YORK state. :evil:

User avatar
JennBNYC
Posts: 262
Joined: Mon Aug 17, 2009 2:50 pm

Re: NYC entry salary after taxes

Postby JennBNYC » Wed Sep 29, 2010 3:21 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Actually, I do it every day, so yes, I can.
--LinkRemoved--
The entire ride is 14 minutes (Hoboken all the way to 33rd). This schedule says 8 minutes, but I've definitely timed it at 6 (train speed varies based on various conditions). Sorry I wrote 5 instead of 6 :roll:

Way to be a smart ass just for the sake of it.


I do it every day too. It's most definitely not five minutes (or six, since apparently I have to make that explicit for you).


Now I know why you're anonymous. Yes, it definitely is. The schedule even says 8. You're really going to squabble over 2 or 3 minutes? I'm sure you're being an ass just to get a rise out of people, and I'm sorry your life isthat sad. I was just trying to lend some suggestions. Lighten up, buddy.




Return to “Legal Employment”

Who is online

The online users are hidden on this forum.