NYC entry salary after taxes

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
JennBNYC

Re: NYC entry salary after taxes

Postby JennBNYC » Wed Sep 29, 2010 3:57 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Lol, what you hate is when it gets pointed out in public that your claims are exaggerated and the facts you mention are distorted.

As Alanis says, isn't it ironic?

bwv812

Postby bwv812 » Wed Sep 29, 2010 3:58 pm

Last edited by bwv812 on Fri Nov 26, 2010 5:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.

op-ti

Postby op-ti » Wed Sep 29, 2010 3:59 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
I actually commute from Buffalo to Midtown, and it only takes about an hour.

Oh wait, I have to count the time it takes to get to and from the airport? Damn

YOU know it all!!!

Next time before I choose where to live...will run it by you (so should everyone who wants to work in NYC) So you can calculate my commute time--the sole authority for NYC.

Oh, if it were not clear before:

vanwinkle wrote:Stop anonymously arguing about subway speed or scheduling. That's not the kind of thing that requires anonymity.

MrKappus

Postby MrKappus » Wed Sep 29, 2010 4:03 pm

ITT: people who are jealous of not living in Manhattan the city justify their decisions w/ fabricated arguments about how short their commute is. The rest of us look on skeptically.

Edited for good point made in later post.
Last edited by MrKappus on Wed Sep 29, 2010 4:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.

paratactical

Postby paratactical » Wed Sep 29, 2010 4:04 pm

JennBNYC wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Lol, what you hate is when it gets pointed out in public that your claims are exaggerated and the facts you mention are distorted.

As Alanis says, isn't it ironic?

MrKappus wrote:ITT: people who are jealous of not living in Manhattan justify their decisions w/ fabricated arguments about how short their commute is. The rest of us look on skeptically.

FTR, I didn't live in Manhattan for most of my time in NYC, but at least I actually lived in the city.

underdawg

Postby underdawg » Wed Sep 29, 2010 4:05 pm

any outsider reading this shit will decide to go to med school or something instead. what an insufferable bunch of know it alls.

do you really avoid nyc state/city tax just by living in NJ? and IN MY OPINION, jersey city is quite similar to bk. in any case, i like it. tempting to live there except i'd need to get some jersey city friends because there's no way i'd want to haul my ass over to manhattan/bk from jc to hang out regularly. i'm a weirdo that prefers bk to mht tho

JennBNYC

Postby JennBNYC » Wed Sep 29, 2010 4:06 pm

MrKappus wrote:ITT: people who are jealous of not living in Manhattan justify their decisions w/ fabricated arguments about how short their commute is. The rest of us look on skeptically.

If you want to spend a few thousand a month to live in a dirty closet, go right ahead. I have a nice place in a great town with an easy commute to a spectacular city...and I have a few thousand more in the bank than I would have had otherwise. I'm okay with that.

paratactical

Postby paratactical » Wed Sep 29, 2010 4:08 pm

JennBNYC wrote:

If you want to spend a few thousand a month to live in a dirty closet, go right ahead. I have a nice place in a great town with an easy commute to a spectacular city...and I have a few thousand more in the bank than I would have had otherwise. I'm okay with that.

:lol: :lol: :lol:

op-ti

Postby op-ti » Wed Sep 29, 2010 4:09 pm

JennBNYC wrote:If you want to spend a few thousand a month to live in a dirty closet, go right ahead. I have a nice place in a great town with an easy commute to a spectacular city...and I have a few thousand more in the bank than I would have had otherwise. I'm okay with that.

:mrgreen: :twisted:

JennBNYC

Postby JennBNYC » Wed Sep 29, 2010 4:10 pm

paratactical wrote:FTR, I didn't live in Manhattan for most of my time in NYC, but at least I actually lived in the city.

I love this argument. People who live in places like Middle Village and say "Oh! I live in NYC!" Give me a break. There are places in BK and Queens and SI that are WAY less livable than parts of NJ close to NYC. I don't know which part of which borough you lived in..maybe it was a nice part...but people who use the "I live in NYC!" claim when they live in a shitty part of a borough are obnoxious.

underdawg

Postby underdawg » Wed Sep 29, 2010 4:11 pm

wow now staten island is in the discussion now? holy jesus

JennBNYC

Postby JennBNYC » Wed Sep 29, 2010 4:11 pm

underdawg wrote:wow now staten island is in the discussion now? holy jesus

Just an example of a borough...really don't want to talk about SI, trust me.

MrKappus

Postby MrKappus » Wed Sep 29, 2010 4:12 pm

JennBNYC wrote:

If you own a car, then I assume that "few thousand" you have in the bank is after you pay for the car, gas, and maintenance? Or do you live in NJ w/o a vehicle. B/c the only thing worse than living in NJ would be doing so w/o a car.

paratactical

Postby paratactical » Wed Sep 29, 2010 4:12 pm

JennBNYC wrote:
paratactical wrote:FTR, I didn't live in Manhattan for most of my time in NYC, but at least I actually lived in the city.

I love this argument. People who live in places like Middle Village and say "Oh! I live in NYC!" Give me a break. There are places in BK and Queens and SI that are WAY less livable than parts of NJ close to NYC. I don't know which part of which borough you lived in..maybe it was a nice part...but people who use the "I live in NYC!" claim when they live in a shitty part of a borough are obnoxious.

I had a 1600$ 2.5 bedroom/2 bath with a yard in Astoria. HTH.

underdawg

Postby underdawg » Wed Sep 29, 2010 4:13 pm

some places in nj are closer to some places in mht than some places in bk, or even other places in mht. sometimes it's the other way around

hth re: commuting times

JennBNYC

Postby JennBNYC » Wed Sep 29, 2010 4:14 pm

MrKappus wrote:
JennBNYC wrote:

If you own a car, then I assume that "few thousand" you have in the bank is after you pay for the car, gas, and maintenance? Or do you live in NJ w/o a vehicle. B/c the only thing worse than living in NJ would be doing so w/o a car.

Nope. Don't own a car anymore. I can walk a couple of minutes to the PATH station. It'd be a waste of money and time (to find parking) to have one. Don't need it for anything.

Edit to add this: $2000/mo for a crappy closet in NYC vs. $800 for a nice place in Hoboken. $1200 x 12 = $14,400 / year. Purely a comparison of rents. Car doesn't even factor in anywhere.
Last edited by JennBNYC on Wed Sep 29, 2010 4:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.

rayiner

Postby rayiner » Wed Sep 29, 2010 4:15 pm

ITT: Stereotypes about New Yorkers are confirmed.

op-ti

Postby op-ti » Wed Sep 29, 2010 4:15 pm

MrKappus wrote:

Can we all just come live with you?

underdawg

Postby underdawg » Wed Sep 29, 2010 4:16 pm

different places in nj have different levels of public transpo and cabs

hth

underdawg

Postby underdawg » Wed Sep 29, 2010 4:16 pm

rayiner wrote:ITT: Stereotypes about New Yorkers are confirmed.

and law students. even im doing it now. /self

JennBNYC

Postby JennBNYC » Wed Sep 29, 2010 4:17 pm

paratactical wrote:
JennBNYC wrote:

I had a 1600$ 2.5 bedroom/2 bath with a yard in Astoria. HTH.

I personally don't love Astoria, but it's got cool aspects. Just seems kind of far "out there." I know it's a popular area for young people, but I don't think my experience in Hoboken is dramatically different than what yours was in Astoria. I just mean that so many people are hung up on saying "I live in NYC" and ignore their actual circumstances. Nice deal in Astoria though.

MrKappus

Postby MrKappus » Wed Sep 29, 2010 4:17 pm

^ No. But when if I move back to MHT you can visit. (It only takes 20 minutes to get here!)

keg411

Postby keg411 » Wed Sep 29, 2010 4:19 pm

Why do I always come across the NJ-bashing threads... :evil:

paratactical

Postby paratactical » Wed Sep 29, 2010 4:22 pm

JennBNYC wrote:I personally don't love Astoria, but it's got cool aspects. Just seems kind of far "out there." I know it's a popular area for young people, but I don't think my experience in Hoboken is dramatically different than what yours was in Astoria. I just mean that so many people are hung up on saying "I live in NYC" and ignore their actual circumstances. Nice deal in Astoria though.

Far out there? LOL wut? Do you know where Astoria is? It's less than 10 minutes on the subway into Manhattan and only about 25 subway time to the village.

vanwinkle

Postby vanwinkle » Wed Sep 29, 2010 4:23 pm

op-ti wrote:Oh, if it were not clear before:
vanwinkle wrote:Stop anonymously arguing about subway speed or scheduling. That's not the kind of thing that requires anonymity.

bwv812 wrote:
let/them/eat/cake wrote:Derail for the ages.

Yeah, but derails such as this that go waaaaaaay off topic are acceptable; the only off-topic discussions that we really worry about are discussions of the anonymous feature.

http://www.top-law-schools.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=23&t=130748

Not kidding.

Return to “Legal Employment”