NYC entry salary after taxes Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
JennBNYC

Bronze

Re: NYC entry salary after taxes

Post by JennBNYC » Wed Sep 29, 2010 4:24 pm

paratactical wrote:
JennBNYC wrote: I personally don't love Astoria, but it's got cool aspects. Just seems kind of far "out there." I know it's a popular area for young people, but I don't think my experience in Hoboken is dramatically different than what yours was in Astoria. I just mean that so many people are hung up on saying "I live in NYC" and ignore their actual circumstances. Nice deal in Astoria though.
Far out there? LOL wut? Do you know where Astoria is? It's less than 10 minutes on the subway into Manhattan and only about 25 subway time to the village.
I think whenever I've gone out there has been on the weekends and I've just had to wait forever for the subway. Bad timing, etc. I just didn't love the vibe, but that's just me, I know a few people who live there a love it.

op-ti

Bronze

Post by op-ti » Wed Sep 29, 2010 4:26 pm

paratactical wrote: Far out there? LOL wut? Do you know where Astoria is? It's less than 10 minutes on the subway into Manhattan and only about 25 subway time to the village.

Be prepared to discuss the logistics of your commute :mrgreen:

JennBNYC

Bronze

Post by JennBNYC » Wed Sep 29, 2010 4:27 pm

op-ti wrote:
paratactical wrote: Far out there? LOL wut? Do you know where Astoria is? It's less than 10 minutes on the subway into Manhattan and only about 25 subway time to the village.

Be prepared to discuss the logistics of your commute :mrgreen:
LOL....so true. I'm not even going to challenge that 10 minute claim. SOOOO not worth it.

vanwinkle

Platinum

Post by vanwinkle » Wed Sep 29, 2010 4:29 pm

I lived in the middle of Brooklyn this past summer, and it was nice. I was near the Q, and it was only 20 minutes tops to where I needed to get in Manhattan. If I weren't near an express train, though, it would've been more miserable.

paratactical

Platinum

Post by paratactical » Wed Sep 29, 2010 4:29 pm

*sigh*

"10 minutes on the subway" =/= claiming to have a 10 minute commute.

Furthermore, if you're only going to Astoria to be one of those awful people at the beer gardens, of course you're not going to enjoy the vibe.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

JennBNYC

Bronze

Post by JennBNYC » Wed Sep 29, 2010 4:31 pm

paratactical wrote:*sigh*

"10 minutes on the subway" =/= claiming to have a 10 minute commute.
Without specific to/from it's pointless anyway.

paratactical

Platinum

Post by paratactical » Wed Sep 29, 2010 4:34 pm

JennBNYC wrote: I just didn't love the vibe, but that's just me, I know a few people who live there a love it.
To be honest, since you like living in NJ, I'm not surprised that Astoria didn't work for you.

JennBNYC

Bronze

Post by JennBNYC » Wed Sep 29, 2010 4:35 pm

paratactical wrote:
JennBNYC wrote: I just didn't love the vibe, but that's just me, I know a few people who live there a love it.
To be honest, since you like living in NJ, I'm not surprised that Astoria didn't work for you.
I didn't say I like all of NJ. I just said I think Hoboken is a good deal for the price, proximity and a young professional vibe.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Return to “Legal Employment”