Is the consensus NY was the easiest market to get biglaw?

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Is the consensus NY was the easiest market to get biglaw?

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Sep 28, 2010 11:22 pm

? Also, is the consensus DC was the toughest market to land a biglaw gig?

Anonymous User

Re: Is the consensus NY was the easiest market to get biglaw?

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Sep 28, 2010 11:47 pm

Yes and yes, maybe SF/SV as toughest as well.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Sep 28, 2010 11:55 pm

when someone says [insert city name] was the toughest/easiest market, just what exactly are they basing their opinion on? i mean there is no objective way measure this aside from a data compilation of ALL applicants, their grades and school ranges, when they applied, where they applied, their interview skills, and a million other variables. i don't really see how a "consensus" can be reached without it being based heavily on personal experiences/what they've heard.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Sep 29, 2010 12:07 am

Anonymous User wrote:when someone says [insert city name] was the toughest/easiest market, just what exactly are they basing their opinion on? i mean there is no objective way measure this aside from a data compilation of ALL applicants, their grades and school ranges, when they applied, where they applied, their interview skills, and a million other variables. i don't really see how a "consensus" can be reached without it being based heavily on personal experiences/what they've heard.

it's just pretty simple raw numbers. NY has nearly 3X the summer associate positions of the next largest market. i shunned NY initially and then came crawling back with my tail between my legs and got multiple offers.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Sep 29, 2010 12:12 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:when someone says [insert city name] was the toughest/easiest market, just what exactly are they basing their opinion on? i mean there is no objective way measure this aside from a data compilation of ALL applicants, their grades and school ranges, when they applied, where they applied, their interview skills, and a million other variables. i don't really see how a "consensus" can be reached without it being based heavily on personal experiences/what they've heard.

it's just pretty simple raw numbers. NY has nearly 3X the summer associate positions of the next largest market. i shunned NY initially and then came crawling back with my tail between my legs and got multiple offers.
NY also has the most number of applicants, hands down. Not to mention that it is the where the two largest T14 law schools (entering class + transfers) are located.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Sep 29, 2010 12:16 am

NY was the easiest but that doesn't mean it wasn't tough in and of itself, when compared with other markets it was the easiest. I know plenty of HYS people who got nothing in NY.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Sep 29, 2010 12:18 am

I definitely found NY to be easier at both the screening and CB stage than Boston, the secondary market I targeted. DC was also easier for me, though that might have been a fluke.

Spoonmanners

Postby Spoonmanners » Wed Sep 29, 2010 12:24 am

I'm not certain about this consensus thing. NY may have more Biglaw guys, with NYU, Columbia, Penn, etc. right in the neighborhood.

New York has also been hardest hit by the recession. More than DC, LA, Chicago, or any other market. I would think that NY still has the highest number of unemployed lawyers. I would assume DC has a little less competition and a little more government work, along with a cheaper cost of living.

iwantawhiteiphone4

Postby iwantawhiteiphone4 » Wed Sep 29, 2010 12:43 am

Spoonmanners wrote:I'm not certain about this consensus thing. NY may have more Biglaw guys, with NYU, Columbia, Penn, etc. right in the neighborhood.

New York has also been hardest hit by the recession. More than DC, LA, Chicago, or any other market. I would think that NY still has the highest number of unemployed lawyers. I would assume DC has a little less competition and a little more government work, along with a cheaper cost of living.

Is this a flame?

vanwinkle

Postby vanwinkle » Wed Sep 29, 2010 12:45 am

iwantawhiteiphone4 wrote:
Spoonmanners wrote:I'm not certain about this consensus thing. NY may have more Biglaw guys, with NYU, Columbia, Penn, etc. right in the neighborhood.

Is this a flame?

Never attribute to malice that which can be easily dismissed as a clueless 0L.

bwv812

Postby bwv812 » Wed Sep 29, 2010 12:56 am

Last edited by bwv812 on Fri Nov 26, 2010 5:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Sep 29, 2010 1:02 am

While I have no hard data to support this, my theory is that the NYC firms, more so than firms in other cities (or even offices of NYC firms in other cities) were more likely to cut to the bone during the worst of the recession with their layoffs. Then, when the economy picked up even a little bit, they realized that they needed bodies. And because BigLaw only knows how to hire en masse one way, you get the disparity in reported OCI success rates.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Sep 29, 2010 1:04 am

It's probably too late to apply to NYC firms, though, right?

Maybe I should run back to them with my tail between my legs, too. Ugh. I just hate the thought of being in NYC. Only ... well, only somewhat more than the thought of being unemployed.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Sep 29, 2010 1:05 am

bwv812 wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:NY also has the most number of applicants, hands down. Not to mention that it is the where the two largest T14 law schools (entering class + transfers) are located.

Harvard and Georgetown are both in NYC? Weird.
Oh haha oops. You're right, I forgot Georgetown. As for Harvard, Columbia's class size is actually bigger than Harvard's after transfers.

bwv812

Postby bwv812 » Wed Sep 29, 2010 1:23 am

Last edited by bwv812 on Fri Nov 26, 2010 5:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.

bigben

Postby bigben » Wed Sep 29, 2010 1:25 am

Setting aside several falsehoods and fallacies here, lol @ biglaw ever hiring an unemployed lawyer.

RVP11

Postby RVP11 » Wed Sep 29, 2010 1:31 am

This post is why we shouldn't let 0Ls post in the legal employment forum.

Kohinoor

Postby Kohinoor » Wed Sep 29, 2010 1:32 am

RVP11 wrote:

This post is why we shouldn't let 0Ls post in the legal employment forum.

There should be a wall of shame that we can send misbehaving 0Ls to.

bigben

Postby bigben » Wed Sep 29, 2010 1:33 am

bwv812 wrote:As for the easiest market, if you come from a good school I think that any local/tertiary market you have ties to is going to be easier than any major market.

This is hit and miss. The small markets have exceedingly small associate classes. They can end up being pretty selective sometimes. It's probably sort of a random factor of what candidates happen to be interested in that particular year.

NYAssociate

Postby NYAssociate » Wed Sep 29, 2010 2:16 am

Last edited by NYAssociate on Tue Oct 05, 2010 8:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Kohinoor

Postby Kohinoor » Wed Sep 29, 2010 2:32 am

NYAssociate wrote:
NY was the easiest but that doesn't mean it wasn't tough in and of itself, when compared with other markets it was the easiest. I know plenty of HYS people who got nothing in NY.

Yes, we all know the definition of "easiest."

I can't quit you.

phoenixsoars

Postby phoenixsoars » Wed Sep 29, 2010 9:15 am

Last edited by phoenixsoars on Wed Jul 04, 2012 8:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Sep 29, 2010 10:33 am

Chicago was hardest.

tome

Postby tome » Wed Sep 29, 2010 10:34 am

vanwinkle wrote:
iwantawhiteiphone4 wrote:

Is this a flame?

Never attribute to malice that which can be easily dismissed as a clueless 0L.

The guy's profile says IU 2012. He is, in fact, a clueless 2L.

Return to “Legal Employment”