Kirkland (NY) to Kirkland (Chicago)

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Kirkland (NY) to Kirkland (Chicago)

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Sep 28, 2010 9:53 pm

So, I have a SA offer in Kirkland (NY). Eventually, I want to end up in Chicago, specifically at Kirkland.

Two questions:
1) How likely is this?
2) What's the best strategy for getting there?

Extra Info:
I have no ties to Chicago, but do have ties to NYC -- thus, the reason I focused on their NY office.

Anonymous User

Re: Kirkland (NY) to Kirkland (Chicago)

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Sep 28, 2010 9:57 pm

I would imagine -- and this is total speculation -- that if you had a valid reason for wanting to move to Chicago after you had been in NYC for a year or two, they'd let you.

The longer you're in NYC, the less of a reason you probably need to switch to Chi.

Again, total speculation.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Sep 28, 2010 9:59 pm

Pretty easy to do once you join the associate ranks.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Sep 28, 2010 10:11 pm

OP here -- Any downsides to moving after a year or two? Could this affect partnership chances, or is that baseless fear?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Sep 28, 2010 10:18 pm

My Kirkland on-campus interviewer had worked at multiple Kirkland offices because her husband had gone to grad school after she started as an associate. She said that if the firm likes you, they're very flexible.

But if you have an offer already, you should just ask some associates! They're not going to take your offer away because you expressed interest in living in another city.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Sep 28, 2010 10:45 pm

OP here -- Any downsides to moving after a year or two? Could this affect partnership chances, or is that baseless fear?

You might feel off because you'll have to rebuild relationships and your reputation so you can get good work. But if you're good with people, that shouldn't be too much of a problem.

It isn't difficult to transfer offices so long as the office has a need, but the Chicago office always does, so that really shouldn't be a problem. It's kind of why I find this whole notion that one K&E office is more selective than the other to be a sham. Once you're in one office, you can really go wherever you want.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Sep 29, 2010 10:51 pm

I would think it would not be that difficult once you work for them for a little while. If they like you, and Chicago has room, I can't imagine them letting you go.

Return to “Legal Employment”