Informing firm of offer deadlines Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Informing firm of offer deadlines

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Sep 28, 2010 2:52 pm

Hey all --

So a firm (my top choice) said they'd take about 3 weeks to get back to me because they still have some interviews to do.

3 weeks from my interview puts me in the same week in which I have 3 deadlines.

I've been told that it looks bad to a firm if you wait until the very last minute to accept their offer.

What's the protocol here, given that the deadlines aren't really coming up, but waiting til they come up looks bad? I don't want to force the firm to rush if it would be detrimental to my candidacy, but I don't want to end up hurting myself with my other options if it turns out I don't get my top choice.

Thanks guys.

goody687

New

Re: Informing firm of offer deadlines

Post by goody687 » Tue Sep 28, 2010 3:19 pm

Spoke with my career office and she said that firms like to know when you receive other offers. It makes you more attractive because someone else has decided to extend you an offer. You have to be careful to make sure they know you are still interested, but if you weren't you wouldn't call asking about when they will extend an offer.

My approach was to call the firms I'm still interested in say that "I am now currently sitting on two offers in your market but remain exceptionally interested in working for your firm this summer. Is there anyway you can provide me with a timeframe for when you will be making your decision." They'll get the idea. Good luck.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Sep 28, 2010 3:30 pm

goody687 wrote:Spoke with my career office and she said that firms like to know when you receive other offers. It makes you more attractive because someone else has decided to extend you an offer. You have to be careful to make sure they know you are still interested, but if you weren't you wouldn't call asking about when they will extend an offer.

My approach was to call the firms I'm still interested in say that "I am now currently sitting on two offers in your market but remain exceptionally interested in working for your firm this summer. Is there anyway you can provide me with a timeframe for when you will be making your decision." They'll get the idea. Good luck.
Thanks. Did that. Called and mentioned I had some offers, but that I really enjoyed my visit with them and don't want to act until I hear from them one way or the other.

Fingers crossed.

goody687

New

Post by goody687 » Tue Sep 28, 2010 11:24 pm

Good luck, hopefully it works out for both of us.

stinger35

Silver

Post by stinger35 » Tue Sep 28, 2010 11:43 pm

Did you just call the recruiting coordinator?

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”