Latham vs. Milbank (NYC) Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.

Latham or Milbank

Latham
57%
Milbank
43%

Total votes: 23

Anonymous User

Latham vs. Milbank (NYC)

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Sep 28, 2010 8:38 am

Any suggestions on choosing between these firms? I'm most interested in litigation, though I think Latham's undecided program is appealing. I'd like some semblance of a work-life balance, at least as far as NYC firms go. I liked the people I met at both firms, though I felt that the Latham attorneys seemed more like people I'd want to hang out with outside of work, and Milbank's lawyers were a bit quieter/low key.

Job security is of course important to me, but I'm not terrified of Latham since they did the bulk of their firings at once and continue to give 100% (or close to that) offers to summers. They also seem aware of their reputation among law students and like they want to repair that.

Also waiting on Jones Day NY - any thoughts on how an offer from them should change things?

Anonymous User

Re: Latham vs. Milbank (NYC)

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Sep 28, 2010 10:07 am

Out of curiously, when did you conduct your callback with Milbank and receive an offer?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Sep 28, 2010 12:57 pm

OP here - I had my callback with Milbank last week and got a call later in the week.

For those who have voted, any particular reasons why you chose Milbank or Latham?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Sep 28, 2010 3:14 pm

I think morale at Latham is still pretty low, especially among the mid-levels and those with whom you'd be working in litigation. I base this on word from a few friends there. I see this argument occasionally about firms that had major layoffs...that they must be finished with layoffs because they laid off so many people earlier in the recession. I think that's viewing things with rose-colored lenses. Firms will do what they feel they need to do. If the work isn't there, they are going to lay people off, regardless of what they did in the past. So you need to ask yourself, has the work returned? Are people getting busier?

I do think you're right that Milbank has a more "low-key" culture, but I know people there who are happy and like the professionalism of those around them. I understand it's pretty busy there. Plus, NY is their main office (not the case with Latham).

Latham and Jones Day are obviously much larger firms...I'd like to think a smaller firm might be more humane (and Milbank, while large, is comparatively smaller). Of course Cravath isn't exactly a humane place and that's also smaller, but still, at least with Milbank you may get work assignments in a more predictable way and you may get to do more earlier in your career. Can't speak much about Jones Day personally, but don't they have this program where they require you to rotate to different groups for your first year at the firm? If you were really set on litigation, maybe you wouldn't want to do that (but again, I am not sure they require you to rotate if you are set on a particular group).

Anyway, I'd pick Milbank.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”