Cravath Split Summer

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Cravath Split Summer

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Sep 28, 2010 12:10 am

Hi all,

I would really like to split my summer between Cravath and a smaller firm in my hometown market. Have any of you spent half of your summer at CSM? If so, how many weeks did you spend at CSM? How amenable is the firm to splits?

Also, do you think CSM would allow me to work 8 weeks instead of the 10-12 suggested?

Anonymous User

Re: Cravath Split Summer

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Sep 28, 2010 1:00 am

the minimum is 10 weeks bro. it's called a minimum for a reason. see if you can do a 10 week/6 week split.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Sep 28, 2010 1:26 am

Anonymous User wrote:the minimum is 10 weeks bro. it's called a minimum for a reason. see if you can do a 10 week/6 week split.

If the other firm lets me work 6 weeks, I'd jump in it. But 16 weeks would force me either to finish my spring 2011 exams ahead of time or cut into the fall 2011 semester. I suppose it wouldn't be too much of a sacrifice since legal job>>>>>>3L school work

ToTransferOrNot

Postby ToTransferOrNot » Tue Sep 28, 2010 8:41 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:the minimum is 10 weeks bro. it's called a minimum for a reason. see if you can do a 10 week/6 week split.

If the other firm lets me work 6 weeks, I'd jump in it. But 16 weeks would force me either to finish my spring 2011 exams ahead of time or cut into the fall 2011 semester. I suppose it wouldn't be too much of a sacrifice since legal job>>>>>>3L school work

Except that ABA regulations only permit you to work 20 hours a week while classes are in session (assuming you are a full time student,) so no.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Sep 28, 2010 8:51 am

That's confirmed. I'm going to be a SA next summer at Cravath. I was advised on the firm's policy on split summers that you must be with Cravath for the first 10 weeks and the other firm you're splitting with must not be a NYC firm.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Sep 28, 2010 9:40 am

ToTransferOrNot wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

Except that ABA regulations only permit you to work 20 hours a week while classes are in session (assuming you are a full time student,) so no.

That's not a problem at all. I'll just cut into my exam time during spring semester 2L since classes are not in session during the exam period. Legal job>>>>>>2L exams. :mrgreen:

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Sep 28, 2010 9:42 am

Anonymous User wrote:

That's confirmed. I'm going to be a SA next summer at Cravath. I was advised on the firm's policy on split summers that you must be with Cravath for the first 10 weeks and the other firm you're splitting with must not be a NYC firm.

Well, did you speak with the hiring partner or did you simply take the offer letter at face value? I ask because the letter states that "Summer associates are generally expected to spend at least 10 weeks at the Firm . . . ."

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Sep 28, 2010 9:56 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

Well, did you speak with the hiring partner or did you simply take the offer letter at face value? I ask because the letter states that "Summer associates are generally expected to spend at least 10 weeks at the Firm . . . ."

The hiring partner. But I guess it doesn't necessarily means he's completely versed on firm policy. Or maybe that's HIS policy. :)

Return to “Legal Employment”