Does mass mailing work? Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
underachiever

Bronze

Re: Does mass mailing work?

Post by underachiever » Tue Sep 28, 2010 11:22 am

Last edited by underachiever on Thu Mar 03, 2016 10:05 am, edited 1 time in total.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Sep 28, 2010 11:22 am

What makes a market "small"? Any city that is not NYC, DC, LA, Bay Area and Chicago?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Sep 28, 2010 11:26 am

Yeah you just have to temper your expectations with mass mailing, especially this late. I mean, if you are a superstar candidate it may work, and it really comes down to your ties to the area.

FWIW, I go to a T10, mass mailed 60 or so places (all smaller secondary markets), 1 callback that doesn't look like it will amount to anything. Further, that firm told me they don't recruit at my school because most candidates aren't interested in that market. So I really think it is your ties, credentials, and how in demand the market is. I can't imagine mass mailing larger firms in NYC/DC/CHI/etc would prove very fruitful because they will probably use the mass-mail pile as a backup to On Campus Recruiting at schools they want, but admittedly, I could be totally wrong on that.

jimmyd11011

New

Post by jimmyd11011 » Tue Sep 28, 2010 11:44 am

What if you mail a school in the summer that will eventually be coming to your OCI? Will they just say to interview when they're on-campus? Or is there a chance they might say come interview before OCI (especially if the law school is in a different city than the firm)? If they're interested in you, I'm guess they would rather not have to pay to fly you out and put you up in a hotel.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Sep 28, 2010 11:46 am

jimmyd11011 wrote:What if you mail a school in the summer that will eventually be coming to your OCI? Will they just say to interview when they're on-campus? Or is there a chance they might say come interview before OCI (especially if the law school is in a different city than the firm)? If they're interested in you, I'm guess they would rather not have to pay to fly you out and put you up in a hotel.
Friend did this, and got an offer on-the-spot. I think most firms will tell you to wait though, but if they really like your resume/transcript, they may be willing to interview you early.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Sep 28, 2010 9:50 pm

Been thinking, do you think mass mailing firms now (firms that will be back on campus possibly interviewing some 3Ls next year) is a bad year? Would a reject from them via mass mail now beget a swift reject next year during OCI?

IzziesGal

Silver

Post by IzziesGal » Wed Sep 29, 2010 11:02 am

Anonymous User wrote:Been thinking, do you think mass mailing firms now (firms that will be back on campus possibly interviewing some 3Ls next year) is a bad year? Would a reject from them via mass mail now beget a swift reject next year during OCI?
I think this would be a waste of time. They will probably just tell you to contact them again next year. Also, do you already have a SA gig and you're just not happy with it? If so, you might not want to contact firms about 3L opportunities until you lock down your offer. If you have no SA gig lined up, I still think you should focus on mass mailing firms for 2L summer and get that locked down first.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Sep 29, 2010 12:28 pm

Text of the email as basic as a couple sentences saying your name, your school, and your interest in applying?

IzziesGal

Silver

Post by IzziesGal » Wed Sep 29, 2010 12:38 pm

It depends. Some people do their cover letters in the body of the email, and others attach separate cover letters. It's a matter of personal preference, but I like to attach my cover letter separately to keep my letter formatted and looking neat and clean. It also makes it easier for the recruiter/contact to print it out and put it in a packet without all of the email headings. Just looks nicer.

If you attach cover letter, I'd do a couple brief sentences in the email - I am person X, attend school Y, would like a position as a ____ at your firm, and think I am a good fit because (name some relevant experience). I also like to include regional ties up front in the email because it gets their interest right away.

Also, repeat all this info in the cover letter. My email typically resembles the first paragraph of my cover letter (the introductory paragraph with the who I am and why I want them info) very closely.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”