How do you work for an SDNY or EDNY Judge for 1L summer

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
corporatelaw87

How do you work for an SDNY or EDNY Judge for 1L summer

Postby corporatelaw87 » Mon Sep 27, 2010 6:08 pm

I want to be a judicial intern (or whatever they are called) after my 1L year in either of these two districts. What's the best way to go about this, mass mailing? I can start talking to my Career services Nov.1 but I figured I'd ask now to see if anyone has any experience with this.

Gaucho

Re: How do you work for an SDNY or EDNY Judge for 1L summer

Postby Gaucho » Mon Sep 27, 2010 6:14 pm

SEO offers this to alumni of their Corporate Law program. It's paid too.

--LinkRemoved--

ZXCVBNM

Postby ZXCVBNM » Mon Sep 27, 2010 6:15 pm

find the profesor at your school that has an "in" with judges. don't waste time with mail merge.

corporatelaw87

Postby corporatelaw87 » Mon Sep 27, 2010 6:16 pm

Gaucho wrote:SEO offers this to alumni of their Corporate Law program. It's paid too.

--LinkRemoved--

I don't qualify for SEO

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Sep 27, 2010 6:21 pm

The success of mail merge depends a lot on your school name. If you're from a really prestigious undergrad and/or law school, where most judges are from, you might have luck. If not, it is probably a waste of time because it's really hard to distinguish yourself otherwise. I'm from CCN, and the only people that I know that had SDNY judge internships are from really competitive schools.

tripu11

Postby tripu11 » Mon Sep 27, 2010 8:32 pm

Last edited by tripu11 on Wed Jan 06, 2016 11:54 am, edited 1 time in total.

bkthunder

Postby bkthunder » Mon Sep 27, 2010 9:06 pm

Anonymous User wrote:The success of mail merge depends a lot on your school name. If you're from a really prestigious undergrad and/or law school, where most judges are from, you might have luck. If not, it is probably a waste of time because it's really hard to distinguish yourself otherwise. I'm from CCN, and the only people that I know that had SDNY judge internships are from really competitive schools.

This might be the norm, but my experience directly contradicts this. I interned in the SDNY last summer from an NY school (not C or N), and another of my judge's interns was from my T2 school. I also know of many students from my school who got internships in EDNY or SDNY. If your law school is not in the NY area, I would highly suggest expanding your search to include the district your school is in. My guess is that the vast majority of EDNY and SDNY interns are from the NY area (or at least Northeast) law schools. I got my internship from a mass mailing after first semester grades came back. I doubt most judges would seriously consider an applicant without grades, and I think grades are an even more important factor than law school prestige.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Sep 27, 2010 9:25 pm

Where is your school ranked approximately? Mail merge worked very well for me for a different yet equally popular district. I go to a T10.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Sep 27, 2010 11:09 pm

I interned in another fed district ct, but went with the method of mass mailing to all the judges at the courthouse. Then, if you're planning on going to NY soon, I'd note that in your cover letter so that they can contact you. For me, it pushed my application to the front to be considered, and they then went ahead and interview me in person and accepted me.

Return to “Legal Employment”