Shearman or Jones Day in NY

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Shearman or Jones Day in NY

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Sep 27, 2010 12:25 pm

I know both firms have some negatives, but which place has a a better quality of life? I am not afraid of working very long hours, but I'd prefer to be at a place where my colleagues are at least reasonably nice to each other.

I am most interested in litigation.

nealric

Re: Shearman or Jones Day in NY

Postby nealric » Mon Sep 27, 2010 12:33 pm

I would tend towards Shearman- mostly because of JD's opaque bonus structure and "McFirm" reputation. As far as QOL, it's hard to tell- so much of that depends on who you end up working for.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Sep 27, 2010 12:55 pm

What is Jones Day's "McFirm" reputation? I was under the impression that it was pretty good in terms of lifestyle and collegiality, though not for transparency.

nealric

Postby nealric » Mon Sep 27, 2010 1:01 pm

What is Jones Day's "McFirm" reputation? I was under the impression that it was pretty good in terms of lifestyle and collegiality, though not for transparency.

More for the type of work that it does. JD has really low RPL relative to its competition. My impression is that while JD does some cutting edge work, it tends to do a lot of commodified work.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Sep 27, 2010 1:05 pm

nealric wrote:

More for the type of work that it does. JD has really low RPL relative to its competition. My impression is that while JD does some cutting edge work, it tends to do a lot of commodified work.

Makes sense. I've heard it charges lower fees than its peer firms, but some people say that's just because they run their administration out of Cleveland, which is cheaper.

Return to “Legal Employment”