clerkship for indian citizen, american green card holder

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

clerkship for indian citizen, american green card holder

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Sep 26, 2010 5:46 pm

Does anyone know if my country of citizenship (India), but U.S. immigration status (permanent resident) basically precludes me from federal employment?

My career office, shockingly, has no clue, neither does an immigration attorney that I contacted. I figured I'd use this as a last resort. I've read through Immigration code relevant to my question, it is vague, or I am stupid. (maybe too stupid for federal employment?)

If you,
1) Are a citizen of a country like India, which is not a recognized U.S. ally (on the OPM list or whatever), and have an answer for this
2) Are a present or former clerk, and know of non-citizen clerks in your chambers
3) Happen to know the answer...

I would really appreciate it. I want to do a federal clerkship after graduation (I'm a rising 2L), but I'm afraid that because of my Indian citizenship, I am ineligible.

MrKappus

Re: clerkship for indian citizen, american green card holder

Postby MrKappus » Sun Sep 26, 2010 5:51 pm

I'm surprised your CSO and an immigration attorney couldn't answer this, since I was able to find the answer w/ Google in about 3 seconds.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Sep 26, 2010 5:51 pm

OP here, for you smart law students, can you solve my problem? Indian citizen - US Perm Res:
http://www.opm.gov/employ/html/citizen.asp

That's the website with the rule right there - I want a federal clerkship.

Your help would be sincerely appreciated.
Last edited by Anonymous User on Sun Sep 26, 2010 5:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Sep 26, 2010 5:52 pm

MrKappus wrote:I'm surprised your CSO and an immigration attorney couldn't answer this, since I was able to find the answer w/ Google in about 3 seconds.

Can you tell me what the answer is?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Sep 26, 2010 5:58 pm

wow! Thank you so much !!!! I guess all my research was done in August, so this is REALLY hot of the press.

Return to “Legal Employment”