Typo on Cover Letter: Notify Firm at Screening?

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Typo on Cover Letter: Notify Firm at Screening?

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Sep 26, 2010 5:24 pm

I have a screening interview coming up (I know, it is a late OCI firm). I flipped two letters in the firm's name around because I copy/pasted the firm name from Symplicity, which was wrong (I later noticed the correct spelling on their firm website). So my guess is that either Career Services goofed in Symplicity or the firm mistakenly typed their name wrong.

Either way, should I bring an updated Cover Letter to the screening interview and tell them I want to correct the minor typo?

Anonymous User

Re: Typo on Cover Letter: Notify Firm at Screening?

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Sep 26, 2010 5:35 pm

Anonymous User wrote:I have a screening interview coming up (I know, it is a late OCI firm). I flipped two letters in the firm's name around because I copy/pasted the firm name from Symplicity, which was wrong (I later noticed the correct spelling on their firm website). So my guess is that either Career Services goofed in Symplicity or the firm mistakenly typed their name wrong.

Either way, should I bring an updated Cover Letter to the screening interview and tell them I want to correct the minor typo?

Bring an updated cover letter and submit it along with any other updated information you have, but do not note the typo. At best it draws attention to your error, and at worst it suggests you didn't really research the firm that thoroughly.

2009 Prospective

Postby 2009 Prospective » Sun Sep 26, 2010 6:32 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:I have a screening interview coming up (I know, it is a late OCI firm). I flipped two letters in the firm's name around because I copy/pasted the firm name from Symplicity, which was wrong (I later noticed the correct spelling on their firm website). So my guess is that either Career Services goofed in Symplicity or the firm mistakenly typed their name wrong.

Bring an updated cover letter and submit it along with any other updated information you have, but do not note the typo. At best it draws attention to your error, and at worst it suggests you didn't really research the firm that thoroughly.

I don't know if I would even submit an updated letter. I would act as if it never happened and hope for the best that they never noticed the mistake.

MrKappus

Postby MrKappus » Sun Sep 26, 2010 6:36 pm

2009 Prospective wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

I don't know if I would even submit an updated letter. I would act as if it never happened and hope for the best that they never noticed the mistake.

Black-Blue

Postby Black-Blue » Sun Sep 26, 2010 6:48 pm

Anonymous User wrote:So my guess is that either Career Services goofed in Symplicity or the firm mistakenly typed their name wrong.

Perhaps they purposely mistyped their name so they can weed out those who aren't really serious in working for them.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Sep 26, 2010 8:24 pm

Black-Blue wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:So my guess is that either Career Services goofed in Symplicity or the firm mistakenly typed their name wrong.

Perhaps they purposely mistyped their name so they can weed out those who aren't really serious in working for them.

OP here.
That is what I thought, or that they want to see who catches the mistake OR who is diligent in enough to catch it.

adampres

Postby adampres » Sun Sep 26, 2010 8:37 pm

I think I would submit a new cover letter as soon as possible via email, and see if you can offer some kind of substantive update as a reason. I work in the admin department at a large firm, and I know they rely on typos as a way to weed out applicants.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Sep 28, 2010 3:55 pm

Bringing attention to the mistake? Definitely not. More than likely, they won't even notice.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Sep 28, 2010 10:30 pm

Anonymous User wrote:

Bringing attention to the mistake? Definitely not. More than likely, they won't even notice.

The alternate is even worse -- if they already know about the typo and you fail to correct, then you definitely lost a point (if not more -- an uncorrected typo is deadly).

If they didn't know about the typo, and you correct yourself, then either 1) they will, obviously, find out and minus you a point, or 2) give you +1 for correcting a mistake and being diligent. Here, at least you have a chance of gaining +1.

Return to “Legal Employment”